Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River BBing  (Read 4235 times)

Thug

Fraser River BBing
« on: August 21, 2004, 03:01:21 PM »

So is there many people BBing the river for chinook of course and hooking sockeye? I've heard of shake and bake sockeye today on one bar(fish surfed up onto gravel and sand, then released). >:( >:(

redlad

Re:Fraser River BBing
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 03:09:01 PM »

I don't doubt it but i hope you are wrong.  I know last year fishing pinks people were telling me to drag them up on on shore rather than trying to release them in the water, but I had no intentions of keeping them so i would not do that.  If you are not going to kill a fish you should not do that even to a pikeminnow.

Hopefully this behaviour does not last or the sockeye will be gone - for good.

redlad

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 03:41:39 PM »

This is an interesting article on catch and release in uring warm water temperatures.

If you are going to do it you have to accept that more released fish are going to die than normal.  It is simply the reality.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/columnists/conservation/article/0,13199,366589,00.html

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 03:50:08 PM »

i prefer to drift fish for springs with wool or a small bit of roe / :D this way im not targeting sockeye

gman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 03:51:42 PM »

Dragging fish on the shore before releading them is inexusable and these people should be charged. I have seen this on the Fraser, but also on other rivers such as Vedder and Squamish.

However, I would challenge those of you who are concerned about conservation to focus their attention on the net fishery going on TODAY. These nest  take more than 10 times more fish than any full blown recreational opening would (much less released sockeye during a  closure). The boats were netting all over the lower Fraser thjis morning.

The recreational take by bottom bouncers is squat compared to the net fishery. The total recreational sockeye take is less than 5% of the total sockeye harvest (quoted from DFOs current management plan)?

Why all the venom directed at the bottom bouncers?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 04:05:28 PM by gman »

redlad

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 03:53:41 PM »

Hi Pepsi

Can you drift fish with success in the Fraser?  I am thinking of trying tomorrow.

redlad

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 04:07:06 PM »

Actually I planned to use a 2 - 3 foot leader, but I don't want to waste my time either.  I can just as easily bar fish (at least try).

I have tried bottom bouncing this year, but the reality is if you do it now you will be killing fish you can not keep.  The law allows this so I am not going to give anybody a hard time who does it.  I simply want to go a different route.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 04:21:26 PM »

Wait a minute, I thought sockeye season is over, but is that whining in the background I hear?

Don't like it? Find a loop hole in the law, get it changed! Quit wasting your time "expressing" your concerns on a forum that only a small percentage of the entire angling population is reading. I've said this again and again, and sick of saying it actually, this is simply a communication tool for the people out there who wish to seek for those who enjoy fishing as much as they do and gather information.

It's a debate right? Look, I rather have 10 constructive posts on here instead of 50 posts of two sides going at each others' throats simply because of a seemingly unacceptable fishing technique (note, not illegal, I don't like it, but I am not going to be slamming at others who employ it. What I will do, however, is take the matter further to the authority who can actually make a difference). Your bickering is my expensive, literally. Every post on this discussion forum costs the website money. This isn't a FOC site, it's a commercial site, simple as that.

And I believe the moderators have already stated this a few weeks ago, we are not going to be having any flossing debates for the rest of this season.