Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Daily Limits of springs  (Read 4743 times)

senpai

• I'm a llama!
Daily Limits of springs
« on: August 19, 2004, 10:41:50 PM »

I am heading to the Fraser and the Vedder this coming weekend. I would like to know what the possession limits of springs is.  I tried looking in the fishing regs for it but couldn't find. Can some one let me know what it is or the website where I can find this information.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks

BirdNester

Re:Daily Limits of springs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 10:45:47 PM »

4 per day, ten per year, and only one per day if its bigger than 60 centimeters. So basically, one per day. Wait, is it 60 or 30 centimeters, or is it weight? Ahh I can't remember, never had to know.
RobertO

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:51:42 PM »

Add this to your bookmarks:
http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/freshwater/regions/region2_e.htm
Make sure to check it before each trip as it gets updated and changes take place.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 02:14:15 AM »

Just to add a few more points:

The above link of Region 2 regulations that trout slayer gave is the modified copy of the 2004 Freshwater Salmon Supplement. The writings in red are regulations that have been changed since the publication of the supplement. For the latest change or update of the regulation, go to this link.

This is not only to answer Senpai's question, but for those who are new to the sport and unsure.... Normally this is what I would do before heading out to a specific freshwater fishing location:

1) Check the generic freshwater fishing regulations (closed area, bait ban, etc) on this website.

2) If I am fishing for salmon, I go to this link to check for openings and daily quota.

3) I then check for updates.

4) If still unsure, I phone the office to find out. The number is 604-666-2828 (24 hours).

For more information, take a look at A quick guide to angling regulations.

Now, just to be repetitive and clear. Daily quota and possession quota of chinook salmon in Fraser and Vedder River.

All fish must be above 30cm long.

Fraser River
Daily quota is four chinook salmon, only one maybe over 50cm long and must be recorded on your license. Possession limit is double of daily quota.

Vedder River
Daily quota is four chinook salmon, only one maybe over 62cm long and must be recorded on your license. Possession limit is double of daily quota.

Several other little rules that you may also want to keep in mind just so you won't get in trouble:

Single barbless hook only.
Night time salmon fishing ban (closed one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise).
retention of sockeye is now closed.
Your aggregated daily quota for salmon (total number of salmon from all species that you may keep) is four fish.

Hope that clears up the confusion a bit. :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 07:04:19 AM »

Senpai, please be aware that the fraser was closed below the mouth of the vedder to protect endangered cultas lake sockeye...they will be in the vedder now...dont target them, not even for catch and release, each one is precious at this point.  

I can not remember a time when  Sockeye on the vedder where open and  chinook run will have been in the river a long time now (hence the fish will be colored) so I would say stick to the fraser.

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 10:58:50 AM »

Thanks Rod for clarifying this topic. I notice that this forum sometimes sound like the Tower of Babel as a lot of misinformation is being spouted . I also observed many anglers (?) in the river without a clue of the regs or the fish species they catch. Ignorance is bliss when out fishing.
Makes me wonder why there is a lemming-like approach to any form of fishing protests when a good majority of anglers (?) are not fully aware of the bigger picture from the standpoint of ALL stakeholders and the sustaining interests of declining fish populations. :(

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 01:56:05 PM »

Sometimes the regs read like a freakin lawyer's contracts, ie.,  you can do this as long as A+B=D but if it equals C then E must equal F+G.  Yes, there are tons of people out there that are clueless.  Let us all try to remain patient and EDUCATE, as it is the best way to make this a better world to fish in.  
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

otto

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 03:41:39 PM »

Good info Gmanfxp. Its a good thing we're on this site or people would just go kill at will, well, maybe I'm speaking to soon................

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA   <<<<RUBS KILLING HANDS TOGETHER IN GLEE>>>>>> BAWAHAHAHABWGA  <<<PUTS KILLING HANDS BACK INTO POCKETS>>>> EASY FELLERS THE DAY WILL COME.........HEHEHEHEHEHE  8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 03:42:44 PM by otto »