Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 12 lb Red Label Fluoro Test vs 12 lb Diawa Fluorocarbon coated line Quick Test  (Read 1459 times)

Darko

• Old Timer

So I picked up a 200 yd spool of Red label seaguar fluorocarbon line when I bought some soft beads for the upcoming season. I wanted to compare the red label to Diawa fluoro coated line. From my quick testing and looking at them. The knot strength seemed to both be good. Same goes for the look in water and out of water. Seemed to reflect the same amount of light. The red label was 22$ for 182m and the Diawa line was 8.5$ for 500m. The Diawa line is also thinner at .285mm compared to .310 for the red label. Only real difference I could see is the seaguar line felt smoother on the outside. Not sure what that would mean for the abrasion aspect. Anyways do what you will with this info. This is just me having some fun and trying to experiment to see long term what I would repurchase, might do something similar again with blue label and then add mono into the mix aswell. Link is below.

Forgot to mention line tied to silver hook is seaguar red label, black hook is the fluoro coated

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005152951641.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.16.d0c61802KAkMDY

« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 10:28:04 PM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

My experience of using Seaguar 15 lbs red label is that it has superior knot strength. Even when the leader is accidentally knotted from repeated castings it can still land a big salmon without breaking. I bought some other fluorocarbon lines, not coated ones, from Aliexpress to compare and they seem to break at the knot easier. Not sure about this Daiwa one though.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I've never been a big fan of Fluorocarbon simply because of it's inferior knot strength. You can expect a knot that is 12 to 15% weaker than a comparable knot tied in monofilament. It's big advantage is that it sinks relatively efficiently compared to monofilament. FC coated lines have been described as having the worst of both of both; dubious knot strength and increased visibility. I've never tried them so don't know. I also haven't found FC to be have better abrasion resistance, it just abrades differently. the line shreds  when  it is rubbed against rocks or fish teeth while with mono the gets pitted. I think mono lines specifically made to be abrasion resistant are as good as FC in that area.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bj23

What was the quick test?

Darko

• Old Timer

What was the quick test?
the visual test, and a pull test, what i could actually do is tie them to my electronic scale and see what lb force they break. of-course this is not academic research just a glance at the two
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin