Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: B.C. government looking into whether to ban bear-spray across province  (Read 2781 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

B.C. government looking into whether to ban bear-spray across province

Proposed changes to the Criminal Code designed to fight crime in the urban areas of British Columbia could impact bear safety in the rural parts of the province.

Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth said the provincial government has an “active file” looking into the issues around banning bear-spray.

He made these comments Wednesday (March 29) when asked whether the province would consider a province-wide ban after the City of Vancouver had passed new bylaws around the sale of bear-spray.

Farnworth said British Columbia and Manitoba lobbied the federal government for that change, adding that Ottawa has told the provinces that it would like to make the changes this spring.

https://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/b-c-government-looking-into-whether-to-ban-bear-spray-across-province/

Guess Farnworth wants me, and those like me, to kill all of the ones they "protected" due to emotional parameters...

Getting my order in first thing in the morning. Job requirement.

Bavarian Raven

Government "logic" at its finest. :/

Darko

• Old Timer

one thing is that bear spray has become a very common sight in youth involved in violent activities, although a ban will not help, just like a gun ban doesn't help gun violence, as criminals do not buy guns legally...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:12:10 PM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

As per the link to article in the Alberni Valley the Vancouver "ban" is on sales to minors and also requires adults to provide valid identification. As it is a purchaser is required to provide name and address plus signature.Farnworth is quoted as “If there are other things we can do to either limit it or restrict its sale, I’m more than willing to look at that..”  Farsworth further said (as quoted in the article)

“10,000s of British Columbians go out in the outdoors in this province,” he said. “There are many parts of B.C. where you should make sure you have it (bear-spray), when you go out.”

Criminal code S. 90(1) already defines pepper spray as a potential concealed weapon and Health Canada has authorized it as legal only in wilderness areas for use to thwart attacks by wild animals only. I don't see anything in the article that implies an outright ban is under consideration.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:14:20 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

I don't see anything in the article that implies an outright ban is under consideration.

Well Ralphie Ol' Chap, my new employer called today to strongly suggest I stock up.
Way up that is.
Job Requirement and all.

I will take his assessment of the situation over yours any day of the week.

But thanks for coming out anyway... LOL   ::)

Cheers

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I will take his assessment of the situation over yours any day of the week.

pretty much your come back in any situation. Hope it works out for you this time!  ;D

Not a problem. Buy all you want. I keep an up to date can on hand but have never had to unload one on an unlovable Bruin or cat.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Not a problem. Buy all you want. I keep an up to date can on hand but have never had to unload one on an unlovable Bruin or cat.

I have. As part of a National Parks study on effectiveness.
Last thing I would rely on unless mandated by the job at hand.
Large, dominant boar grizzlies have a nasty habit of attacking the source.

Cheers

BMo86

The logical thing to do would be in-force stiffer penalties for those that use bear spray as a weapon. But the government is too soft handed for that.

clarki

• Old Timer

The can of bear spray I bought in 2021 has an expiry date of 2026.

So unless the expiration date is just a marketing ploy, or different manufacturers have different expiration dates, I don't see much value in stocking up for personal use.

That is, unless you plan on emptying cans on multiple bears over the next five years...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

they should be good to their expiry date plus a year or 2 at least. Past that it's questionable and if they are 5 years old or more best to get a new can:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/bear-spray-expires-1.4703457

chironomidking

Re: B.C. government looking into whether to ban bear-spray across province
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2023, 07:32:26 PM »

they should be good to their expiry date plus a year or 2 at least. Past that it's questionable and if they are 5 years old or more best to get a new can:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/bear-spray-expires-1.4703457

Expiry is only for propellant leaking out.  Potency does not change.  I have had cans for up to 10 yrs with no issues.  Replaced due to my annual testing emptying the can 😩.  Don’t get rid of your spray based on expiry date - if it shoots, it’s good.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2023, 08:28:05 PM »

Expiry is only for propellant leaking out.  Potency does not change.  I have had cans for up to 10 yrs with no issues.  Replaced due to my annual testing emptying the can 😩.  Don’t get rid of your spray based on expiry date - if it shoots, it’s good.

Sources recommend not test firing sprays. Here’s one…https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c13e2e48f51309499864d1d/t/5faef87ddd1d4d052014fa04/1605302401481/An+Investigation+of+Factors+Infuencing+Bear+Spray+Performance.pdf

TBH, I will get rid of my spray based on expiry dates. My wife views food “best before” dates as equating to “death after”.  :)  I’m a bit more liberal in my interpretation of food dates, but when it comes to the manufacturer’s spray recommendations, I’m going to abide by the expiry dates. I’m super vigilant and bear aware when I’m fishing in grizzly country, but in the event that the crap hits the fan and the only thing standing between me and a charging bear is a wall of spray, I don’t want to trust my life to a can of expired can of spray that I’ve test fired.

You do you, but I think your approach is risky. And, for me, that’s not a level of risk I’m willing to tolerate.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 08:31:27 PM by clarki »

chironomidking

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2023, 09:14:11 PM »

Sources recommend not test firing sprays. Here’s one…https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c13e2e48f51309499864d1d/t/5faef87ddd1d4d052014fa04/1605302401481/An+Investigation+of+Factors+Infuencing+Bear+Spray+Performance.pdf

TBH, I will get rid of my spray based on expiry dates. My wife views food “best before” dates as equating to “death after”.  :)  I’m a bit more liberal in my interpretation of food dates, but when it comes to the manufacturer’s spray recommendations, I’m going to abide by the expiry dates. I’m super vigilant and bear aware when I’m fishing in grizzly country, but in the event that the crap hits the fan and the only thing standing between me and a charging bear is a wall of spray, I don’t want to trust my life to a can of expired can of spray that I’ve test fired.

You do you, but I think your approach is risky. And, for me, that’s not a level of risk I’m willing to tolerate.

Everyone who Packs spray should test it and learn proper use and handling.  I don’t use my test can as my primary - it is a test I have been doing because I don’t want to be part of the consumerism disposal system by tossing out stuff based on expiry.  I fish extensively among grizzlies and would not use a half can for defence.  My tests have given me the confidence that an expired can of spray is effective. 

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2023, 10:16:07 PM »

Everyone who Packs spray should test it and learn proper use and handling.  I don’t use my test can as my primary - it is a test I have been doing because I don’t want to be part of the consumerism disposal system by tossing out stuff based on expiry.  I fish extensively among grizzlies and would not use a half can for defence.  My tests have given me the confidence that an expired can of spray is effective.

I agree in the fact that most suppliers will generally give an expiry date sooner than the product is still effective due to legal reasons, makes sense to me. Although leaving a can for more than 7 years after expiry does sound like a little overkill imo
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 02:46:54 PM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin