Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat anchor  (Read 1823 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Boat anchor
« on: February 04, 2023, 04:46:57 PM »

Quick question
I’m in the market for a new boat anchor. I’ve purchased a new 14 ft. boat deep v . I had previously had a 30 lb. anchor that was stolen with my boat and worked well. Made at our machine shop . Now , I’m not sure if it was overkill weight wise. What would your weight class for this would be . For still water fly fishing of course.
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

roeman

Re: Boat anchor
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 05:47:46 PM »

If using for lake fishing only use cannon balls, one in the front, one in the back.  Works great, takes up less space and easy to store. Sinks in the mud when you drop anchor, holds good against the wind.
Are you fishin or catchin

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 05:00:10 AM »

I use ten pound diving belt weights on my ten foot spratley. Eye bolt through the middle. One forward, one aft.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 11:30:38 AM »

Quick question
... a new 14 ft. boat deep v . I had previously had a 30 lb. anchor that was stolen with my boat and worked well. Made at our machine shop . Now , I’m not sure if it was overkill weight wise. What would your weight class for this would be . For still water fly fishing of course.

I think most would opt for 20-30lb for a 14' in the front and about the same or slightly less for the rear; it would absolutely not be overkill, though it will depend on how much effort you are willing to exert each time you need to move. If you like anchoring broadside to the wind to accommodate multiple people, then you might go towards the heavier end and same front/back. If you insist on staying out there in hurricane conditions, you might even have to go even bigger...

I'm not sure if I would be inclined to use cannonballs. You lose a lot of holding power due to shape, especially if you need to setup on a firmer substrate, which will happen occasionally. I know lead is expensive now, and pyramids are likely to be spendy, but they will give you the best performance, IMHO.

GordJ

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 05:47:13 AM »

I know that if I was in a bowling alley and had a choice between a round ball and a pyramidal object which one I’d pick. Not all lakes have muddy, flat bottoms and some even have slopes.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 09:54:41 AM »

Thanks Dan L
I found one 30 lb . cast on line . I think ill go with that .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 05:15:14 PM »

Two 15 lb pyramid anchors or one twenty for the bow and 15lb for the stearn.

obie1fish

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 06:25:35 PM »

I'm happy with pyramids, and just picked up 2 from a nice guy who pours pyramid anchors and other weights- Wayne. He sells on FB Marketplace. Here's his ad: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1116961105651242/?mibextid=dXMIcH