Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp places?  (Read 3856 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Carp places?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 06:52:59 AM »

It's been a decade since I lived close to there, and believe the city has cracked down on dyke access but I can remember and older Eastern European fellow who used to fish for carp in the Serpentine where it crosses 64. The old Bose Farm. If you could find access I am sure there are still carp in the system.
Tylsie is right. There are endless opportunities to fish for carp in the Lower Mainland. Some better than others. The trick is knowing WHEN and WHERE in the water.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 07:10:42 AM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Jelly_

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2022, 08:15:16 AM »

Serpentine eh? ill give that place a shot in the future.

Tylsie

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 11:07:37 AM »

Tylsie is right. There are endless opportunities to fish for carp in the Lower Mainland. Some better than others. The trick is knowing WHEN and WHERE in the water.

Sorry if I gave away a spot. Didn't think it was that much or a secret. I used to drive down 64th every Sunday for years and this fellow would often be sitting there with a rod out so one day I asked what he was after. Very friendly fellow; hope he is doing well.

That being said, and as I alluded to, farmers throughout Surrey were having issues with people trespassing; there was a few incidents, and the City started to crack down on Dyke access. The only place I know you are officially allowed to access the Dyke is at the Fen and I have never seen anyone fish for Carp there. Not saying they aren't their, only that I have never seen anyone fish for them and there is probably a reason for that. I wish anyone who wants to try the best of luck but be respectful.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2022, 11:46:59 AM »

It really depends on the land owner as the farm owners also own the dikes (crazy situation considering the dikes were built and are maintained with public funds). Places I know neither the land owners or city employees I have encountered ever say anything about it being private or ask me to leave. I have been going to some of those areas for 60 years.

I believe the area from the bridge over #10 to the canal just south of 64th is accessible  to the public as is the east bank from the canal confluence to 64th.

I think the city is posting those dikes because they want to avoid any liability if anyone experiences "misadventure" or other mishaps. Some of the coyotes in Surrey are starting to grow pretty big!  ;D

There are have been parking issues with some access points on busy roads which may explain the fences. I have been waiting to see if those get erected across some of my favorite spots.

BTW you can use use Google Earth to see if fences and gates have been put up at many crossing and other access points.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 12:10:41 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 01:29:05 PM »

Sorry if I gave away a spot. Didn't think it was that much or a secret. I used to drive down 64th every Sunday for years and this fellow would often be sitting there with a rod out so one day I asked what he was after. Very friendly fellow; hope he is doing well.

That being said, and as I alluded to, farmers throughout Surrey were having issues with people trespassing; there was a few incidents, and the City started to crack down on Dyke access. The only place I know you are officially allowed to access the Dyke is at the Fen and I have never seen anyone fish for Carp there. Not saying they aren't their, only that I have never seen anyone fish for them and there is probably a reason for that. I wish anyone who wants to try the best of luck but be respectful.
in no way did I think that was a "spot". Trust me you wont go there tmr and see 5 guys carp fishing XD. I love the fact that most Canadians think they're trash fish. More fish for me catch and less spooked they will be  ;D

Jelly_

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 04:39:58 PM »

I believe the area from the bridge over #10 to the canal just south of 64th is accessible  to the public as is the east bank from the canal confluence to 64th.

hmm ill check it out when carp become more active. Was it around april or was it june?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2022, 05:03:42 PM »

hmm ill check it out when carp become more active. Was it around april or was it june?
as early as mid february, usually early to mid march tho, usually when water temps hit 15 degrees.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2022, 09:03:17 PM »

that river is closed  to all fishing April 1 to June 30th & has been for decades.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 07:48:44 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Jelly_

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2022, 10:31:03 PM »

oh right! thanks for reminding me RalphH! totally forgot about that closure 😅

Tylsie

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2022, 09:46:46 AM »

in no way did I think that was a "spot". Trust me you wont go there tmr and see 5 guys carp fishing XD. I love the fact that most Canadians think they're trash fish. More fish for me catch and less spooked they will be  ;D

Fair enough. But fisherman are an unpredictable group. Rod has posted a few videos showing Vedder spots and they aren't suddenly crowded but I am also aware of a tiny pond in the Surrey/Langley area that person on a different forum mentioned catching bass; they were a nice size, up to two pounds. I had fished that pond but only with my niece and nephews to catch catfish and sunfish. Always saw the same two guys fishing it.

Went to the pond last summer (2021) and saw three kayaks with people fishing, and another 4 people fishing from the bank. This is after I know someone who fished and kept any large bass they could (he killed them on site so no bucket brigade) a few years earlier. You never know what fisherman will suddenly decide is "the spot"

Jelly_

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2022, 10:33:31 AM »

Fair enough. But fisherman are an unpredictable group. Rod has posted a few videos showing Vedder spots and they aren't suddenly crowded but I am also aware of a tiny pond in the Surrey/Langley area that person on a different forum mentioned catching bass; they were a nice size, up to two pounds. I had fished that pond but only with my niece and nephews to catch catfish and sunfish. Always saw the same two guys fishing it.

Went to the pond last summer (2021) and saw three kayaks with people fishing, and another 4 people fishing from the bank. This is after I know someone who fished and kept any large bass they could (he killed them on site so no bucket brigade) a few years earlier. You never know what fisherman will suddenly decide is "the spot"

Yeah that is unfortunate. I think i know that pond; used to go there every now and then cuz it was quiet didnt have many people fishing it (maybe around 2?). Well then someone posted that location on fishbrain and now that pond has like 10+ people fishing it