Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undercover enforcement on the Stave  (Read 1910 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Undercover enforcement on the Stave
« on: October 29, 2022, 03:36:43 PM »

I drove along the Stave River today on non- fishing business and saw a person in waders and fishing vest holding what appeared to be a ticket book, standing beside a car and facing a rather glum looking individual who was leaning against the car. From what I observed as I drove past, it appeared to be an undercover officer issuing a ticket.

Poachers beware!  :)

roeman

Re: Undercover enforcement on the Stave
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 04:37:57 PM »

Why warn them,  let them get what is deserved..
Are you fishin or catchin

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 05:34:04 PM »

My contacts tell me there was lots of busts there today! Mostly barbed hooks and no fishing licences.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 05:34:49 PM »

The vast majority of poachers (and those who violated fisheries regulations) never get caught. I think it’s a good thing that they are aware of undercover enforcement. Maybe it will cause  them to wonder if the friendly fisherman beside them is an officer and thereby think twice about breaking the law.

Additionally, there were complaints on this site(as recently as a few weeks ago) about the lack of apparent enforcement on the C/V. It’s good for the angling public to know that enforcement is happening and just because you can’t see uniforms, doesn’t mean it’s not there.

colin6101

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 07:34:03 PM »

Saw a uniformed CO handing out tickets on the Stave today too. Apparently someone called in an offence and that's why this officer showed up.

bobby b

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 11:01:08 PM »

Doesn’t surprise me about the Stave… poachers deserve what they get

I’ve definitely seen more CO’s on the C/V this season than ever.
All uniformed, but wouldn’t surprise me if there were some undercover there too.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2022, 12:13:53 PM »

Awesome, get the word out! The point of enforcement is to deter people from breaking the law, rather than being punished after the law's been broken. I'd rather nobody drive drunk, instead of drunk drivers causing accidents and then being arrested. Similarly, I'd rather people abstain from violating the regs, than have them punished after the fact.