Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano  (Read 10020 times)

canucksfan233

Re: Capilano
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2022, 05:44:48 PM »

Well.  Nothing happened.  On the bright side water is entering the reservoir at 140 m3/s and rising.  Maybe they are waiting for dark?

100%, can't risk a death again. I honestly thought they would open the dam at 9pm last night, but it 100% has to be this night. We've had so much water and granted its snowing in the mts, but they have to open it at some point with all of the inflow of water.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2022, 06:49:42 PM »

100%, can't risk a death again. I honestly thought they would open the dam at 9pm last night, but it 100% has to be this night. We've had so much water and granted its snowing in the mts, but they have to open it at some point with all of the inflow of water.

Is the flow more important to look at or river level?, River level seems not to change too much but flow is more drastic. I guess with more flow means faster water equals blowout but not an expert on these things and it seems different for each river.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

canucksfan233

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2022, 07:27:24 PM »

Is the flow more important to look at or river level?, River level seems not to change too much but flow is more drastic. I guess with more flow means faster water equals blowout but not an expert on these things and it seems different for each river.

1.2-1.4m water level is what you want ideally

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2022, 11:32:27 AM »

Cap is officially BLOWN, 1 m above previous avg. I'm assuming if it slows down the fishing should be good mid week or next weekend.

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2022, 11:20:02 AM »

To add to ynot's post, it's probably impossible for the local level organizations (hatchery, FN, and Metro Van) to go through DFO to implement a closure that quickly. Enforcement of a closure would also be challenging when anglers could honestly say they didn't know about because it's an unexpected situation. Only anglers that checked the regs in the last 48 hours would be aware. Sure, they could put up signs to educate anglers but the hatchery staff would be hard pressed to design, print, laminate, and then delegate someone to go out and post them at popular spots. All that costs extra money too. My guess is that putting it out there as a request rather than a closure is the easiest, fastest, most cost-effective way to get it done at the regional level. It's not perfect but emergencies never are :P

this reasoning is 100% correct.

We could not get a closure within the short notice of time. The level of clearance required was too high, so an official request was the best we could do. It worked for the most part. There's always some who want to do what they want to do but most stayed away.
AND I did manage to print a couple of notices and posted them in the most accessible places. I didn't delegate that job, I did it myself!  :)

The pulse of water from the dam coincided with collaboration from Squamish fish guardians opening the weirs. We actually did it twice, once on the night of oct 18th, and then the once more on the night of the 27th... 4CMS released for 6 hours... it may not seem like much but as a result we had over 1200 coho and 40 chinook enter the hatchery. Before that, from the period of oct 1-19th we had zero fish coming in. I'm taking that as a success.

I'm also very happy to say that Metro Van, Squamish Nation, and the hatchery are working more closely with each other then ever before; it's taken several years to build these relationships, and there's a lot more we will be working on together. 

Currently the reservoir is filled up to the bottom of the drum gate and is spilling freely.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 11:29:40 AM by HamidSeshadri »

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2022, 12:14:57 PM »

this reasoning is 100% correct.

We could not get a closure within the short notice of time. The level of clearance required was too high, so an official request was the best we could do. It worked for the most part. There's always some who want to do what they want to do but most stayed away.
AND I did manage to print a couple of notices and posted them in the most accessible places. I didn't delegate that job, I did it myself!  :)

The pulse of water from the dam coincided with collaboration from Squamish fish guardians opening the weirs. We actually did it twice, once on the night of oct 18th, and then the once more on the night of the 27th... 4CMS released for 6 hours... it may not seem like much but as a result we had over 1200 coho and 40 chinook enter the hatchery. Before that, from the period of oct 1-19th we had zero fish coming in. I'm taking that as a success.

I'm also very happy to say that Metro Van, Squamish Nation, and the hatchery are working more closely with each other then ever before; it's taken several years to build these relationships, and there's a lot more we will be working on together. 

Currently the reservoir is filled up to the bottom of the drum gate and is spilling freely.
Thank you for taking the time to post this update and inform us how things went. It's great to hear that it was successful.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2022, 04:11:08 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to post this update and inform us how things went. It's great to hear that it was successful.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2022, 08:59:26 PM »

Awesome! No offence intended :P I appreciate your work.

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2022, 10:43:45 AM »

Awesome! No offence intended :P I appreciate your work.

hahah no offense taken, it was more of a poke at myself, its nice to get out of the office and run around the river!  ;D

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2022, 05:48:46 PM »

I fished the Capilano today, from 1-2 I was at cable pool. Visibility was maybe 1.5 ft. As usual there were fish showing themselves, jumping, darting around ect. 90% of them were pretty dark. I fished blades, wool, tried some roe I found on the bank. No action at all. Similar to what I experienced in the summer. I tried hike the lower river to try and find a spot. It was either too shallow, I fished a few shallow runs I thought should have some fish but no luck. I ended the day in a big snag, so I decided to go home. Thought there would be fresh fish that wouldnt be lip locked but looks like I was wrong. Maybe they all just swam straight to the hatchery.

canucksfan233

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2022, 06:05:41 PM »

I fished the Capilano today, from 1-2 I was at cable pool. Visibility was maybe 1.5 ft. As usual there were fish showing themselves, jumping, darting around ect. 90% of them were pretty dark. I fished blades, wool, tried some roe I found on the bank. No action at all. Similar to what I experienced in the summer. I tried hike the lower river to try and find a spot. It was either too shallow, I fished a few shallow runs I thought should have some fish but no luck. I ended the day in a big snag, so I decided to go home. Thought there would be fresh fish that wouldnt be lip locked but looks like I was wrong. Maybe they all just swam straight to the hatchery.

been the story of myself and everyone i've talked to on this river. Was decent fishing the first day they opened the dam, then dead quiet after.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2022, 06:18:38 PM »

been the story of myself and everyone i've talked to on this river. Was decent fishing the first day they opened the dam, then dead quiet after.
good to know it's not just me! So leads me to question when is fishing actually GOOD on this river.  ???

canucksfan233

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2022, 09:59:23 PM »

good to know it's not just me! So leads me to question when is fishing actually GOOD on this river.  ???

Reason its called the 3 day wonder. Just this year with the late rains, more like a 1 pump chump 😂

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2022, 11:11:09 PM »

Reason its called the 3 day wonder. Just this year with the late rains, more like a 1 pump chump 😂
;D, I think I'm starting to understand this river. There is some decent coho fishing in late may/ mid june. Mainly on roe. Then liplocked fish the whole summer during low river when they cant migrate. Then 90% of the fish go through the river in a few days. During a high river. When there is an influx of snaggers. Then pretty much you are fishing for the 8 steelhead left in the system and and the two dozen coho for the rest of the year. XD. Looks likes there might only be 2-3 spots that actually produce, sometimes...

canucksfan233

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2022, 07:47:00 PM »

;D, I think I'm starting to understand this river. There is some decent coho fishing in late may/ mid june. Mainly on roe. Then liplocked fish the whole summer during low river when they cant migrate. Then 90% of the fish go through the river in a few days. During a high river. When there is an influx of snaggers. Then pretty much you are fishing for the 8 steelhead left in the system and and the two dozen coho for the rest of the year. XD. Looks likes there might only be 2-3 spots that actually produce, sometimes...

Really good spots in the canyon, just bring someone to scout it for the first time and understand the risks for a couple of fish.