Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano  (Read 10026 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 09:47:06 PM »

Right now the river is so low that there are places where you can literally cross the river without getting your feet wet by hopping from rock to rock.

The FN set up a rock weir every year at the high tide mark that stops the fish going upstream in the summer when the river is low.  Right now there are many fish jumping around close to shore near the mouth.  Last time I was there those jumpers were looking a little dark and were not biting.  20+ guys on the shore and I saw 1 fish caught and it was wild. Good fishing but not much catching.  Lots of boats targeting the springs in deep water where the tidal current is strong.

When it rains and the river goes up to above 1.2m on the graph, the weir gets washed out and the fish can enter the river.  Wait for the rain.
thats what i expected aswell. Thanks for sharing
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2022, 06:55:09 AM »

river rised last night about 12 cm. Does this mean they released the dam? Is this enough to get fish moving through? its back to normal now.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »

Some drunk guy peed into the river obviously....

Sometimes a little change of level would trigger the move. There is only one way to find out lol...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2022, 10:42:47 AM »

whos taking friday off?

Phronesis

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2022, 11:02:30 AM »

I guess some people will..........I am taking a day off next week :D.....since it is showing RAIN !! Finally......

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2022, 11:19:53 AM »

You guys work on weekdays in October?

Amateurs.... ;D

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2022, 11:21:23 AM »

whos taking friday off?
I take every friday off to go fishing  8). Hmm now do I go vedder or capilano

Chum Slayer

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2022, 01:17:32 PM »

Go to Vedder, after the rain it should be good for chum, springs and coho also you can get a few trout if the salmon are not biting.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2022, 05:01:20 PM »

Go to Vedder, after the rain it should be good for chum, springs and coho also you can get a few trout if the salmon are not biting.
yea you're probably right. hopefully the smoke clears a bit by then too.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 04:33:17 PM »

Rodney I saw your post on facebook about the request for anglers to not fish on the cap for the 27th. I was wondering if theres any more info you can share with us. Also was wondering why its a request and not a closure. Wouldnt that be more affective?

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2022, 07:33:10 PM »

Capilano hatchery staff are working with Squamish Nation and Metro Vancouver to get a pulse of water and weir opening in the Capilano River system for a one-day period on Thursday, October 27, 2022.  This is the result of low water levels and low returns of fish to date into the hatchery.  This emergency action is intended to allow for clear passage of fish through the river for this one day and the Department is requesting all fishers to refrain from fishing in the Capilano River on this date.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact Hamid.Seshadri@dfo-mpo.gc.ca or the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.
Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN1209
Sent October 25, 2022 at 1551

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2022, 09:40:06 AM »

Rodney I saw your post on facebook about the request for anglers to not fish on the cap for the 27th. I was wondering if theres any more info you can share with us. Also was wondering why its a request and not a closure. Wouldnt that be more affective?

To add to ynot's post, it's probably impossible for the local level organizations (hatchery, FN, and Metro Van) to go through DFO to implement a closure that quickly. Enforcement of a closure would also be challenging when anglers could honestly say they didn't know about because it's an unexpected situation. Only anglers that checked the regs in the last 48 hours would be aware. Sure, they could put up signs to educate anglers but the hatchery staff would be hard pressed to design, print, laminate, and then delegate someone to go out and post them at popular spots. All that costs extra money too. My guess is that putting it out there as a request rather than a closure is the easiest, fastest, most cost-effective way to get it done at the regional level. It's not perfect but emergencies never are :P

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2022, 11:03:27 AM »

when they start letting the water drop great fishing time  and tomorrow should be good.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2022, 12:44:35 PM »

when they start letting the water drop great fishing time  and tomorrow should be good.
seems it rose 14 cm then stopped at about 10 cm above the pervious norm. Not sure how much this will affect entrance levels.
To add to ynot's post, it's probably impossible for the local level organizations (hatchery, FN, and Metro Van) to go through DFO to implement a closure that quickly. Enforcement of a closure would also be challenging when anglers could honestly say they didn't know about because it's an unexpected situation. Only anglers that checked the regs in the last 48 hours would be aware. Sure, they could put up signs to educate anglers but the hatchery staff would be hard pressed to design, print, laminate, and then delegate someone to go out and post them at popular spots. All that costs extra money too. My guess is that putting it out there as a request rather than a closure is the easiest, fastest, most cost-effective way to get it done at the regional level. It's not perfect but emergencies never are :P
I guess so, politics and governments are just so slow. I dont see why they cant get one individual from each group couldnt have had a meeting online for 30 m and have a notice sent out. Maybe its not that important or not necessary. With the tech these days youd think things would be faster and faster but I guess the old saying stays true that people dont change.

Roderick

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2022, 04:53:12 PM »

Well.  Nothing happened.  On the bright side water is entering the reservoir at 140 m3/s and rising.  Maybe they are waiting for dark?
You shoulda been here yesterday.