Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pencil Lead Powder  (Read 2131 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Pencil Lead Powder
« on: August 27, 2022, 11:19:29 AM »

I was cutting some pencil lead from the coil in preparation for salmon season and I noticed a layer of some sort of powder coming from the lead. Could this be dangerous if on my skin or inhaled. Wouldnt want to get lead poisoning
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Pencil Lead Powder
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 11:30:24 AM »

also my extendable lucky strike salmon net got some sand inside and it wont come out. I've tried putting kitchen oil, boiling water. Nothing seems to be able to get it loose.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 03:11:46 PM »

I was cutting some pencil lead from the coil in preparation for salmon season and I noticed a layer of some sort of powder coming from the lead. Could this be dangerous if on my skin or inhaled. Wouldnt want to get lead poisoning

Lead is certainly toxic but in elemental form it won’t absorb through the your skin easily. Ingestion is the main route of exposure. So wash, wash, wash your hands. Clean up all residual dust. Keep away from children as they are susceptible to lead!

Inhalation isn’t as big of a factor if you are hand cutting the lead. If you use a power tool, that could be a different story! Heating or melting may produce lead fume.

Oh, and next time consider wearing a pair of gloves (e.g. disposable nitrile or vinyl should do the trick).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 03:33:11 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 06:57:43 PM »

also my extendable lucky strike salmon net got some sand inside and it wont come out. I've tried putting kitchen oil, boiling water. Nothing seems to be able to get it loose.

damn that happened to me and I never got it unextended. maybe i was unlucky but just keep trying brute strength....good luck.

ps...lepi saran na tvoju sliku, darko. ps2...eh cekaj,,,to je saran jeli lol??

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 04:55:55 AM »

Lead is certainly toxic but in elemental form it won’t absorb through the your skin easily. Ingestion is the main route of exposure. So wash, wash, wash your hands. Clean up all residual dust. Keep away from children as they are susceptible to lead!

Inhalation isn’t as big of a factor if you are hand cutting the lead. If you use a power tool, that could be a different story! Heating or melting may produce lead fume.

Oh, and next time consider wearing a pair of gloves (e.g. disposable nitrile or vinyl should do the trick).
thanks for your advice, appreciate it  8)

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 04:56:19 AM »

damn that happened to me and I never got it unextended. maybe i was unlucky but just keep trying brute strength....good luck.

ps...lepi saran na tvoju sliku, darko. ps2...eh cekaj,,,to je saran jeli lol??

haha hvala, jeste  ;)

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 07:38:23 AM »

A little trick when cutting lengths of pencil lead off a coil is to use dog nail clippers

Quick and easy and doesn’t crush the hollow center if you like to slide it on your line

Cyanescens

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 08:22:39 AM »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 09:02:13 PM »

When I was kid and my .177 air rifle was my constant companion, I would put a handful of the (lead) pellets in my mouth so the gun was quicker to reload.

Sucking on lead pellets. Great...

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 09:38:13 PM »

I have an old Plano tackle box and the bottom compartment is covered in white lead powder from saltwater lead weights. Going forward, all my new weights will be lead free.