Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Curing frozen chinook eggs  (Read 1949 times)

Chum Slayer

Curing frozen chinook eggs
« on: August 22, 2022, 05:22:22 PM »

Just got some frozen salmon eggs from a friend, I was wondering if there is any way I could cure them from what I have read you slowly thaw them in the fridge then add your cures or brine. another thing I was wondering is that could I thaw them out and fish them uncured. I plan on using them for whites this fall on the Vedder the eggs have only been frozen for two days.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Curing frozen chinook eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 05:41:13 PM »

check out some of the information available via a google search. Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iOS48MUqC0
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ratfish

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 01:48:57 PM »

A quick way to fish them uncured is to use cherry kool Aid. Just sprinkle a pack into your bag of uncured eggs. Not recommended but works in a pinch. 

mikeyman

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 11:09:46 AM »

Being frozen first without curing it the eggs crystallize then burst when thawing. So often gets mushy and is better to use for sturgeon bait.
That said if u want to cure it I recommend putting it on a tray on paper towel when thawing it out. Then get yourself pautzke pink or pro cure red hot. Sprinkle decent amount on eggs I usually put it in zip lock bag in fridge over night. Wear plastic gloves when handling.after a night in fridge place on sheet again with paper  towel air dry. Then I coat in borax and put in zip lock put in my bait fridge if using soon. If not then I freeze in decent amount of borax.

jim

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 07:12:20 AM »

I found a recipe, on Youtube, I think. Never tried it myself. A guide gets sent frozen eggs from Alaska, 10 pounds.
Here is his recipe, very expensive...you could try a smaller batch, cut in half, or 1/4th.
4 bottles of Fire Brine$$$$
2 oz of Fire Dye
half cup seasalt, half cup white sugar, half cup Borax o Fire,
one quarter cup of sodium sulfite, 1.5 oz of Powdered Krill, can of Tuna in oil for extra sent...
stir it all up, add skeins...leave overnight? or longer, not sure...
remove from brine, drain in colander, and air dry and borax to finish it off.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 07:27:49 AM »

;D

cabro

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 12:30:45 PM »

I found a recipe, on Youtube, I think. Never tried it myself. A guide gets sent frozen eggs from Alaska, 10 pounds.
Here is his recipe, very expensive...you could try a smaller batch, cut in half, or 1/4th.
4 bottles of Fire Brine$$$$
2 oz of Fire Dye
half cup seasalt, half cup white sugar, half cup Borax o Fire,
one quarter cup of sodium sulfite, 1.5 oz of Powdered Krill, can of Tuna in oil for extra sent...
stir it all up, add skeins...leave overnight? or longer, not sure...
remove from brine, drain in colander, and air dry and borax to finish it off.

I think you might be referring to this video.

https://youtu.be/b_X1gWmhxDo

ratfish

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 02:08:46 PM »

Just a quick question. Who thinks we need to use bait to catch fish? Just wondering as I have used bait in the past and I admit my catches are way better with bait then with anything else. However hardware is so much cleaner on my hands and sometimes as effective. However sometimes I loose a lure on the bottom while fishing. I think a lure is worse than a single hook left in the environment... Sometimes I just don't know whats best.

cabro

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 02:45:10 PM »

Just a quick question. Who thinks we need to use bait to catch fish? Just wondering as I have used bait in the past and I admit my catches are way better with bait then with anything else. However hardware is so much cleaner on my hands and sometimes as effective. However sometimes I loose a lure on the bottom while fishing. I think a lure is worse than a single hook left in the environment... Sometimes I just don't know whats best.

I hate using bait as well due to the mess and cost but i'd have to say for me personally, it out fishes hardware 10-1.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 04:15:42 PM »

I hate using bait as well due to the mess and cost but i'd have to say for me personally, it out fishes hardware 10-1.
Until I started using beads, particularly soft beads, I would agree with this 100%. There are still situations where it is the best thing by far or the only thing that works, but those situations are rare for me.