Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 81531 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #405 on: September 09, 2022, 02:33:41 PM »

Anyone have a report from the river today? Conditions, numbers of boats out, fish on the fish finder, etc?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #406 on: September 09, 2022, 02:40:28 PM »

I support giving rec fishermen access when other sectors have access. If the numbers are not their then close it to all.  We both no the the rec sector when it comes to sockeye harvest is not going to make a dent when compared with other sectors.

If you have concerns about run size Ralph perhaps you should of expressed them when you were defending FSC and wasting/selling fish.

I have also expressed concerns about having a mop up commercial seine and troll fishery at the mouth for lates when early they said non natives can't fish over concerns for late run. It does have the makings of 2018 overharvest again.

HOWEVER, since they OPENED IT to COMMERCIAL HARVEST I SUPPORT a REC OPENING. I dont think people should feel guilty about going fishing when commercial and FSC are taking hundreds of thousand and sport will take maybe 20k this season,

Also i look forward to this fall and you expressing the same concerns for IFS when it comes to FSC chum fishery's.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify my position.

best of luck

...and you like everyone else can now have their cake and eat it too. I am sure everyone then will complain that their piece wasn't big enough.

I try to present facts.

The FSC is a fact. It's a fact that it is first in the harvest list priority. It's a fact that what has been and is being taken in that fishery is consistent with what has been harvested within the last 20+ years.

poaching and a black market for salmon is a fact. It's extent is not well known. There is no credible evidence that it so extensive it poses a hazard to salmon stocks. The question was examined in detail by the Honorable John Fraser, a former Minister of Fisheries when in the early '90s a  shortfall of sockeye supposedly recorded by the mission hydro-acoustic apparatus failed to appear on the spawning ground. Accusation flew that "millions" of salmon had been poached and sold illegally above Mission. They found no evidence of this. The Fraser investigation found the most probable cause of the shortfall was that DFO/PSC erred in counting the salmon and among other things the Mission counting station is unreliable. Today however, the apparent myth of a huge black market operation continues.

The fact is waste is massive through out food system My daughter worked in a number of high class restaurants in Vancouver and many times commented on the massive amount of food including expensive seafood, including salmon, that was tossed out everyday. By law it can't even go to a food bank if it is still edible. Most of us just don't see it like the salmon dumped at the side of the road as it goes into a dumpster in the back alley.

I actually support the rec fishery. I favor a late summer bar fishery for chinook over a floss fest for sockeye. I support a saltwater fishery for sockeye before a flossery in the river. I favor hiring and training more FOs and COs for enforcement. I also favor more funding so methods can be developed to make better predictions on how many salmon will and do return. Very large errors are common every year. Very few runs and spawning areas are monitored at all.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 04:27:45 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Alomar

« Reply #407 on: September 09, 2022, 02:58:47 PM »

So i can go snag them in the head and keep two after they get funneled into the river but i cant put a pink hoochie down in the ocean and try to get them to bite it ! How in the hell does that make sense!

VictorBai

« Reply #408 on: September 09, 2022, 03:03:21 PM »

This information is gold!

I am doing research on where to go for Sockeye fishing and have been wondering why places in the tidal portion like Derby Reach weren't brought up.

Looks like the non-tidal portion is the place to go.

Thanks again for saving me from a day getting skunked at Derby Reach.

So far no one has figured out a way to catch them between Richmond and Mission consistently without just plain old snagging them using the good old rip it hard into the side of the fish method.

It would be nice if someone did so it could possibly spread out the volume of anglers that all fish above the Mission bridge.

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #409 on: September 09, 2022, 03:27:17 PM »

No marine rec because they don't want rods around commercial boat I assume. With that said I don't plan on participating in this 10 day fishery. I went where there were plenty extra (Lillooet) and don't need to fish for the few extra.

Probably go hunting instead.
Fishing isn't catching

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #410 on: September 09, 2022, 04:31:10 PM »

This information is gold!

I am doing research on where to go for Sockeye fishing and have been wondering why places in the tidal portion like Derby Reach weren't brought up.

Looks like the non-tidal portion is the place to go.

Thanks again for saving me from a day getting skunked at Derby Reach.

check the Whonnock test fishery and Mission hydroacoustic site to make sure there are good numbers of fish:

https://www.psc.org/TestFish/Area29DGNsummary.PDF

https://www.psc.org/FRPWeb/Escapement/Sockeye_Escapement.pdf

A I recall, a catch of at least 60 at Whonnock was the minimum for decent success. preferably 100 or more. Just looking over the days & weeks for the hydroacoustic count will give an idea on when number are decent or really good.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #411 on: September 09, 2022, 04:52:45 PM »

...... went out this morning  for a couple of hours around Agassiz....a couple other anglers..  couple of boats went by...no rollers no action .....windy and smokey from the fire .....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #412 on: September 09, 2022, 05:43:43 PM »

A nice limit of two after a couple of hours fishing. Not a bad way to spend a morning. All the sockeyes caught around me were small averaging around 5 pds at best. Nice to see some fish landed and take a couple home for a BBQ.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 05:47:57 PM by Wiseguy »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #413 on: September 09, 2022, 05:45:46 PM »

I went out to Pegleg today - no action.

The normal fishing channel close to the shore west of Pegleg proper has about 15 feet of gravel where the channel used to be.
The top part of Pegleg is inaccessible - water comes right to the shore where you used to be able to drive on.

Saw no fish jumping and heard of only 2 fish landed there all day.

Did see a large dead fish on shore there. Thought it was a huge spring but I now think it is a sturgeon - didn't have much skin left.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 05:47:32 PM by Easywater »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #414 on: September 09, 2022, 05:54:24 PM »

A nice limit of two after a couple of hours fishing. Not a bad way to spend a morning. All the sockeyes caught around me were small averaging around 5 pds at best. Nice to see some fish landed and take a couple home for a BBQ.
Where were you fishing?
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #415 on: September 09, 2022, 05:55:45 PM »

I fished brownsville bar for 2 hours and in delta for another 2.. Skunked, no signs of fish either. Could there be better spots? Or should I go at high tide next time?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #416 on: September 09, 2022, 06:10:36 PM »

Where were you fishing?
I was fishing a bar on the Upper Fraser. That’s all I will say. There was about 20 people lined up and everyone was catching fish. It was not gangbusters but it was enough action to keep things interesting. But like I said the sockeye were small compared to what I am used to catching during an opening. I will be back tomorrow morning.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #417 on: September 09, 2022, 06:42:09 PM »

I was fishing a bar on the Upper Fraser. That’s all I will say. There was about 20 people lined up and everyone was catching fish. It was not gangbusters but it was enough action to keep things interesting. But like I said the sockeye were small compared to what I am used to catching during an opening. I will be back tomorrow morning.
glad you had success. Tight lines

cdjk123

« Reply #418 on: September 09, 2022, 08:28:02 PM »

Went out flossing today in-between hope and Chilliwack. DFO stats guy was there and said he figured the average rate of catch was about 2 fish/hour, with an average of 20 anglers fishing in that given spot, which is a pretty popular spot. He had been there for about 6.5 hours. Not great statistics.

I was there for about 1.5 hours and saw 2 fish bonked, which was about right for his numbers. If you put in the hours, you'll likely get your fish, but in my opinion not worth it

VictorBai

« Reply #419 on: September 09, 2022, 08:33:49 PM »

Thank you so much RalphH!

I've been so lost since the sockeye fishing was opened yesterday. These numbers are very solid indicator!

As a quick reference to all, Whonnock test fishery of Sockeye hasn't exceeded 60 in the past 11 days.

check the Whonnock test fishery and Mission hydroacoustic site to make sure there are good numbers of fish:

https://www.psc.org/TestFish/Area29DGNsummary.PDF

https://www.psc.org/FRPWeb/Escapement/Sockeye_Escapement.pdf

A I recall, a catch of at least 60 at Whonnock was the minimum for decent success. preferably 100 or more. Just looking over the days & weeks for the hydroacoustic count will give an idea on when number are decent or really good.