Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will this mean no more fishing in this area.  (Read 1691 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Will this mean no more fishing in this area.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 10:28:20 PM »

Absolutely. Eventually yes. Mostly hunding and mineral exploration. That's of the miney isn't there.

danielk

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 10:34:56 PM »

What’s going to happen to all the property owners in tulameen.  And the ranchers north of otter lake.  And the 100s of cabins at otter lake ?   So they loose their homes ?    Is this actually going to happen ??? Sorry I’m not trying to start some  rampage about people. !!!   I’m just a little confused !   And is this legal ?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 06:47:16 AM »

Specifically regarding sport fishing, it does not. There has been other such announcements by FN groups in BC and that is not what has happened. This is a more about them moving for greater (but not absolute) control and more meaningful conservation consistent with their territorial title and tradition. Regarding existing homes and property. It's clear that FNs alone don't have the ability to extinguish fee simple title or crown leases. It would involve a long period and a whole lot of negotiation.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 06:22:07 PM »

If I remember correctly the government has lots of existing laws going back to the queen when it comes to mineral rights.

Fishing and hunter rights is another story as often that's what the crown gave first nations in exchange for mineral rights and land rights.

This is not about that though this is pushing a liberal government and Provencal that claim they are interested in reconciliation and seeing what they can get out of them.

Cant get upset at them for seeing an opportunity to take control. Everyone wanted to virtue signal reconciliation now put on the big boy pants and deal with it.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 06:29:29 PM by wildmanyeah »

danielk

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 08:16:57 AM »

Oh well.   I’m still planning  on going to Murphy lakes in June for bear hunting and fly fishing.   I’m sure it won’t be closed this early.   ::)       It just sucks for so many people.