Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Recommended Books/Literature on Fishing?  (Read 3786 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Any Recommended Books/Literature on Fishing?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 04:14:04 PM »

I second your thoughts. He was one of the best and I was privileged to be able to fish alongside him when I began river fishing in the early 1970s. As the book includes a photo of me, I have a few copies :)
That was a fine coho too!

I trust retirement is treating you well. :)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2021, 05:39:08 PM »

I met Eric Carlisle a few times fishing steelhead on the Cheakimus river. He liked casting spoons to the plentiful steelhead back in the early nineties. One particular time I saw him hook several in the same pool above Fergies. Thats when I decided to change over to throwing spoons and ended up catching some monsters in the Cheakimus river. I carried a spoon rod and a fly rod. Each day I would run into a school of large bulltrout in one or two of the runs that I fished. The fly rod then was used to catch the bulls. Those were unbelievable times and never to be forgotten.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2021, 06:47:21 PM »

I heard alot of good things about this book as well I will have to pick up a copy

The Gilly is one of my all time favorite fishing books. Each chapter is from a different author and is quite an enjoyable read.  However it was originally written in the early 80s, so the comments about parts regarding gear and patterns being quite dated is very true. Don't buy it expecting cutting edge info. But entomology and basic techniques don't really change and I still re-read the odd chapter just for fun.

while they are all good books, some of the information on techniques and patterns in The Gilley and similar books like the 2 Jack Shaw books (Tying flies for Trophy Trout & Fly Fish the Trout Lakes). Morris and Chan on Fly fishing Trout Lakes. Steve Raymond's Kamloops,  may be a little dated these days. Trout School by Mark Hume and Mo Bradley published in 2019 would be worth checking out.

Trout School is similar to the Gilly in that's is written in a similar 'anthology' style to the Gilly. Kind of half fishing info, and half fish tales from the golden age of BC interior trout fishing.

'Morris & Chan on Fly Fishing Trout Lakes' is a slightly more technical treatise on fly fishing BC stillwaters. It doesn't include the fish tales and anecdotes, so it's more of a reference guide and is more informative rather than fun, but ends up being quite a bit more comprehensive. Originally written in the early 2000's I think, but was recently updated and re-printed just a few years ago. At least it contains more up to date patterns that utilize modern tying materials.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2021, 07:12:41 PM »

"Morris and Chan..." was published in'99... I had heard that they may update it. That would be worthwhile. The info about seasonal cycle of lakes & entomology don't really change much. There are a number of books that provide the same info. Lake Fishing with A Fly by Ron Cordes and Randall Kaufmann from 1984 has one of the best discussions of turnover etc but mostly avoided detail discussion of patterns.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:22:23 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 09:27:26 PM »

Funny no ones talking about the local ice fishing some friends up at whonnack today did okay.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2022, 08:21:14 AM »

A book I have enjoyed is "The River Why" by David James Duncan.  You might not learn a lot about fishing but it will put fishing in perspective.
A very good read, imo.

Woolly Rainbow

• Keeping it reel
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2022, 03:34:32 PM »

"Morris and Chan..." was published in'99... I had heard that they may update it. That would be worthwhile. The info about seasonal cycle of lakes & entomology don't really change much. There are a number of books that provide the same info. Lake Fishing with A Fly by Ron Cordes and Randall Kaufmann from 1984 has one of the best discussions of turnover etc but mostly avoided detail discussion of patterns.

I actually just bought that book recently and am still waiting for it to arrive in the mail. It seems like it would have alot of good strategies for lake angling which is what I usually prefer to engage in as I have never had much luck fishing rivers here in the lower mainland. I like the fact that it supposedly has alot of technical information and Brian Chan seems very knowledgeable on stillwater fishing in particular.

I'll have to pick up some of these books including Eric Carlisle's, thanks for all of the recommendations 🙂
“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after” (Henry David Thoreau).

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 02:47:31 PM »

The Eric Carlisle West Coast Angling is on Craigslist for $10 plus many other classics:

https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/bks/d/parksville-west-coast-river-angling/7430529455.html

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.