Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dewdney/Nicomen Dike Access closed  (Read 2684 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Dewdney/Nicomen Dike Access closed
« on: November 11, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »

I spent a few hours on the slough by Dewdney Landing and noticed the dike access on the east bank from the #7 bridge to Strawberry Slough has been posted as Private No Trespass and the pass ways around the vehicle access gate has been blocked with boulders. So goes another popular bank  fishing location. This access was also popular with dog walkers and people out for a stroll year round.

The Parking lot is still open.

On a related note a local told me there has been a rash of smash and grab vehicle break ins at the same lot.

I also saw very few fish. A small school of chum and no coho. There is a seal in the slough.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Dewdney/Nicomen Dike Access closed
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 12:46:54 PM »

Well that was fast, and so unfortunate yet expected. We were just having this discussion yesterday prior to the sportfishing advisory committee meeting about how the spike of usage would lead to the access closure.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 01:14:11 PM »

Some dikes in the area are posted No Trespassing by the FVRD. Was this posted by the regional district, or a landowner?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 02:03:05 PM »

there is an officious looking sign posted on the telephone poll by the gate and some signs on the gate that look like the sort sold by hardware stores. I don't remember if FVRD was noted on the post sign.

the closure of dikes which though on private land yet are constructed and maintained by local or regional government is getting to be quite a problem. Most of the access points for the Serpentine and Nicomekl Rivers have not only been posted but blocked by 8 foot chain link fence from the water edge to the far side of the dike. My last 2 spots were posted within the last 2 years and I dread the day I drop by to see access blocked by those prison barrier like fences. I realize the land owners have issues as well and they may not be with anglers. I am not sure what can be done about it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 05:19:31 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 04:38:22 PM »

I ignore those signs. so do most other anglers being there.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 05:08:05 PM »

.... has been like that for at least a year...pretty sure it was the dairy farmer there ..... access to norrish through gravel pit by  inch  creek hatchery also cut off...they can rape it for gravel but if you want to fish or walk your dog f off....horse ranch now has it as their private park......
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 05:19:08 PM »

I don't recall seeing it last year. People have been ignoring the signs on the North West bank for years. Pretty sure the police wouldn't respond to a complaint.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 11:52:02 AM »

hunters are paying thousands of dollars to farmers to shoot ducks/geese on some of the farms/private property in the valley. 

Perhaps ask the land owner for permission
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 11:56:49 AM by wildmanyeah »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 11:11:10 PM »

The majority of signage came up late last year or early this year. They locals tell the tall tale the reason why is bc if break-ins. Pure nonsense. Anyone can park in the parking areas. Park and walk. Worst-case some farmer barks at you.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 08:41:25 AM »

The majority of signage came up late last year or early this year. They locals tell the tall tale the reason why is bc if break-ins. Pure nonsense. Anyone can park in the parking areas. Park and walk. Worst-case some farmer barks at you.

the dike on the Northeast access is also posted but anglers walk it and fish along it nonetheless. I think a lot of this signage isn't directed at anglers but at party all night yahoos and perhaps some dog walkers who can't control their pets near livestock.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 02:49:27 PM »

Yah , I carry those signages in my backpack and nail um in a tree before I hit the favorite fishing hole  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."