Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New spinning rod  (Read 1602 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
New spinning rod
« on: October 02, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »

Thinking of treating myself to a new high/higher end spinning rod. Hoping for some advice from the fishing community.

Rod will be used mainly on the local flows. Vedder, Harrison, and so on. Will use it primarily for chucking spoons and spinners for coho and steelhead. Not looking for a heavier/stiffer twitching style rod, although this rod should have enough hook setting power to fish 3/8oz twitching jigs if I feel like it. NOT looking for a baitcaster/trigger rod; for this type of fishing I prefer to use a spinning reel.

I'd like to be able to chuck as light as say a #3 blue fox (not sure what they weight). But usually not going this light. More like #4 or #5 blue fox/spinner, or 1/2oz spoon would be pretty common. Will occasionally go as high as a 3/4oz spoon, but not much heavier than that.

Rods I currently have use for this are:

-Clarus CSS-90ML2B (spinning rod) 1/4-1/2oz. Med-light power, moderate action.
Love this rod but generally it's a bit too light in power. It's good when the water is low and clear and I want to chuck light spoons in the 1/8-1/4 range. It lacks backbone to set the hooks on 3/8oz jigs and bigger spoons. I generally sue this rod for chucking small spoons and spinners on lakes that have big trout.

-Clarus CSC86MH2B (trigger rod). 3/8-1oz. 8-17 line rating.
This is more of a meat stick twitching rod. The tip is pretty stiff and you can't feel the action on spoons unless you go to a heavier 2/3oz or 3/4oz. More of a jig twitching rod. Pairs nicely with a calcutta 200B and 20lb braid.

-Abu Garcia NSS902M (spinning rod). 3/8 lure rating. 10-25 line rating which is stupid, it's more like an 8-15 or so. Super great rod. My current go to for this type of fishing. You can feel the lure action well with a spoon as light as 3/8 or so, and it will drive the bigger 1/0 hooks on the bigger 1/2oz and bigger spoons

-Diawa 86M2S. 3/8-1oz lure. 8-17 line. Just picked this up used but also really like it. Feels simialr to the Abu rod just 6 inches shorter.

Should mention that I plan to pair the rod with a 2500-3000ish size spinning reel and 20lb braid.

More or less the specs I'm looking for are:

8.5 to 9ft
3/8-3/4 or so lure rating
8-12 or 8-15ish line rating
Med power

Leaning towards Loomis or Lami, but would consider a custom NFC, Rainshadow, or similar.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:40:44 AM by Spawn Sack »

jim

Re: New spinning rod
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 11:04:29 AM »

I think Searun tackle sells some St. Croix spinning rods for a high price. I was thinking of one because I do a fair bit of spinning rod fishing. Say   $300 or so.
 right now I use a Fenwick HMX-S962M-MF
says medium -moderate fast
3/8 to1 oz. lure
10-20 line
I use 12 or 15 lb lines. mono. might change to braid one day, not so far...
I can cast light items well enough, say 10 gram slinky c/w spin n glo, spoons 10-14 grams.
paired with a Pflueger President reel 6.2:1

DanTfisherman

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 11:34:48 AM »

I would agree that Loomis makes some good spinning rods.  My buddy has one and really likes it.

I was in this zone a while ago.  Then, my father-in-law gave me two spinning rods.
One is a medium action 9 foot Berkley Air, Buzz Ramsey Edition.  8-14 lb,  Made from IM8 I gather.
I quite like the rod and it has been working well.  Do not think it is a higher end rod, but somewhere in the middle would be my guess.
It casts really well and is ideal for Coho.  It has landed Springs as well, so maybe a bit on the heavier side, depending on what you are looking for for action.
I do have a similar rod upstairs in a Lamaglas that was given to me as well.  I think it is a heavier rod and stiffer, so have not been using it.

Before i inherited/gifted these rods, I looked into spinning rods quite a bit.  At the end of it all, I settled on and was going to look into St Croix rods, based on reviews, where made, the warranty, and action.  One I looked at was the Wild River series:
https://www.capitolfishing.com/st-croix-wild-river-spinning-rods-p/s-s.cwrsr.htm
I think I specifically looked at the 9'6" rod in the 8-12 lure weight, which I think is the ideal area for Coho.  (This one: WRS96MF2).
I did think the 6-10, but then thought not cool when/if you hook chum and springs.

Another option in the St Croix series were the Avid Salmon/Steelhead rods.  Once again, a bit nicer and more costly I think.  Bit better warranty?
I tried to look, but these rods seem discontinued now, so you may have to look for an older rod if you feel it is the ticket.
https://naturalsports.ca/products/st-croix-avid-salmon-steelhead-spinning-rod?variant=31480815026234

I think more important than the rod is actually the reel.  I did not think this way until I splurged on an upper end reel that I got for a great deal.  I kinda thought a reel was a reel and was originally going to get a good one, being a Penn Fierce or Penn Battle:
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/144328/penn-battle-iii-spinning-reel?productVariantId=376003&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping+Free+Listings&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImsb84qus8wIVEhDnCh21MAY7EAQYAyABEgKwGvD_BwE
I ended up settling on an Abu Garcia Revo SX40 and am super happy with it.
https://www.amazon.ca/Abu-Garcia-REVO2SX10-Revo-Spinning/dp/B011LUZXQI/ref=asc_df_B011LUZRW8/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292943175251&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9764236640240245724&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001492&hvtargid=pla-494156241023&th=1&psc=1
I have found it casts better and farther than my buddy's reel, being the Penn Battle, even when using the same lures.  The retrieve is super smooth and really nice, drag is awesome, and the feel of the handle/reel is really good and unique.

Blabbed on enough I am sure.  One thing that may be worth reading up on and learning is how to properly spool up and use your spinning reel.  I know it sounds stupid, but I watched a few videos and read up, and learned how you set up your reel really makes a big difference to it's ability to cast, retrieve, and line management.  One thing was the way to properly wind the line off of the filler spool, so it does not get wound/spun/or binds.  Wrong way leads to the line spinning and then you get the spinny pig-tails and coiled line.  Another thing was once the fish takes line, let it take line.  As much as possible, only wind the handle when you can gain line on the fish.  Otherwise, I gather once again, the line spins oddly, and can get the pig-tails, coils, etc.  Another one was when you cast and the lure hits the water, flip the bail manually by hand rather than turning the handle on the reel.  Cannot remember why, but found this makes a difference and is a smoother, better way.  Hard to explain unless you have experienced both.

Good luck and hope you find your ideal rod.  If you stick to spinners and maybe float fishing, I think 9' to 9'6" is ideal.  I gather if you are going to fish jigs, then you are probably wishing for a 6'6" rod, or there abouts.

I am not a jig fisherman, tried it and find it interesting and challenging, and would not mind hearing from a few on here about the dynamics, rods, and action they utilize.  Being a big time fly fisher for salmon, I understand why utilizing jigs would be important, valuable, and lead to a good amount of success, but have not been brave enough or patient enough to give it an honest effort and grind through the learning curve.

Dano

4x4

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 12:34:57 PM »

I don't find a need for high end spinning rods.

I'm using a Berkley Cndn Series rod for my lightest outfit. It's a great rod but not made anymore. Very good quality parts. I've had it for 25 yrs and it's still going strong. It was in the 200.00 range back then.

All my other (3) spinning rods are Fenwick HMX. One older and 2 newer. Great rods. The older one is really well built and all of them have served me well. They are all different actions for different salmon. Fenwick has so many different configs of there spinning rods that anyone can find the action and length they like.

Brian Babcock

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 11:07:48 AM »

Just in case you weren't aware, Sage offers many spinning configurations. Unfortunately, very few stores in the Lower Mainland stock these. I sell the vast majority in the States. However, any authorized Sage Dealer in your area has access to these. They're definitely not cheapest! But, I do build them with the finest components available. If you need more information, let me know.

Brian

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 01:07:01 PM »

Love my G Loomis EX6, rated at 6-12 lbs, 3/4 oz, medium power, fast action, 8 foot 6 inches.

PROs:
Long enough to chuck spoons a long way (with braid).
Fast enough action that it can be used to twitch jigs effectively.
Fast enough action to allow you to feel the spoon flutter and occasionally tap bottom on the swing at long distances (again with braid).
Perfectly sized for Coho and Steelhead (up to approximately 12-14 lbs range).
Beefy enough that you can also handle Chum and smaller Chinook if careful.
Its light, so you can twitch or high stick when swinging spoons, all day.
Good warranty.

Many feel that to twitch jigs you need a short rod in the 6.6 to 7.0 region.  While a relatively short and stiff rod (fast or very fast action) are often preferred a longer rod with the correct stiffness can also work well, particularly if it is light.  Which is why the EX6 works well as both a spoon and twitching rod, so that you only need one rod, rather than carry two.

I also own a 9 foot Berkeley Air, Buzz Ramsey Edition, and while it is an excellent spoon rod, it is way to heavy and with the slow to moderate action is ugly to twitch on.  Its double and I have done so, but its not particularly pleasant, particularly once you have compared it to a lighter fast action rod.

CONs:
Pricy (but the price point for a light high performance rod.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 01:20:35 PM by Knnn »