Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electric trolling motor  (Read 1929 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Electric trolling motor
« on: September 26, 2021, 07:09:53 PM »

Hello all. In the market for a electric trolling motor and battery. I have a 16 ft tin boat on a trailer. Any recommendations?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Electric trolling motor
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 08:04:30 PM »

My 2 cents: don't cheap out on either. Get yourself a nice Minnkota or similar. I'm guessing that size boat you'd want a 50lb thrust or more. A used one would be totally fine, save yourself a few bucks. For the battery don't cheap out, I'd buy a brand new quality deep cycle. Yes they are pricey but you get what you pay for. IMO the Costco Kirkland batteries are garbage. They are rebranded Interstate. I'd pay a bit more for am East Penn group 27 size from Napa. They battery will say "Napa" on it but they are East Penn. Super good batteries! My last deep cycle I got 7 years out of it, even then it was still "fine" it just didn't hold a charge as well, so I replaced it. Lastly get a good charger and don't fast charge it. I charge mine an 2A which is what the guy at NAPA recommended.

JustPuttsin

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 05:01:11 AM »

I agree with Spawn Sack, Don't cheap out on motor or battery. Just to add, I had an electric Minnkota 45 lb thrust on a marlon inflatable for quite a few year's. I kept it on a trickle 2a charger at home and while on the lake I had it hooked to a small solar panel with regulator in the boat. I could fish all week long and battery was always up on charge. Never needed to run generator to charge it up.

TacoChris

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 09:11:34 AM »

I recommend getting maximizer technology on a Minn Kota if you troll at all. Otherwise you are stuck with the limited speed settings even the lowest setting is sometimes too fast. It also helps the save battery life. You can get different shaft lengths for different transom depths. They have a guide online. I have used use Edmunds batteries for years. If you want to go for a day you can go cheap. If you want to extend its to multiple days without a recharge you need to have a quality motor, battery and charger

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 01:13:38 PM »

I would also vote for Edmunds for batteries.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »

I recommend getting maximizer technology on a Minn Kota if you troll at all. Otherwise you are stuck with the limited speed settings even the lowest setting is sometimes too fast. It also helps the save battery life. You can get different shaft lengths for different transom depths. They have a guide online. I have used use Edmunds batteries for years. If you want to go for a day you can go cheap. If you want to extend its to multiple days without a recharge you need to have a quality motor, battery and charger
Thank you everyone for the info. Yes I will be trolling. I take trips and use the boat sometimes for a week long trip up country. I plan on spending whatever it takes to get the best product as I believe you get what you pay for. I already have a charger with 2 amp trickle charge for my depth sounder battery. So a Minn Kota 50 pd thrust with maximizer technology and a Edmunds battery. Should I by two so I can swap one out when it loses charge as I will not have my battery charger with me?

JustPuttsin

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 03:55:44 AM »

I would try it with one first. If you're trolling all day, long a maximizer minn kota will not draw a lot of power. With a small solar panel attached you should be able to troll forever.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-7w-12v-solar-battery-trickle-charger-0112017p.html#srp
I could go for a week with no issues at all. I was always just trolling and not wot.

chironomidking

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 07:08:28 AM »

Thank you everyone for the info. Yes I will be trolling. I take trips and use the boat sometimes for a week long trip up country. I plan on spending whatever it takes to get the best product as I believe you get what you pay for. I already have a charger with 2 amp trickle charge for my depth sounder battery. So a Minn Kota 50 pd thrust with maximizer technology and a Edmunds battery. Should I by two so I can swap one out when it loses charge as I will not have my battery charger with me?
If you can afford it, I recommend having 2 batteries.  For multi day trips I just started doing it this year and it sure gives me peace of mind especially when I have to move around the lakes a lot searching for fish.  I don’t troll but fish larger lakes with my 44lb minn maximizer.  When both batteries are charged, they are both in the boat, when one is low, it’s charging back at the truck.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 10:42:19 AM »

Yes two batteries foresure.