Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crayfishing with finfish as bait?  (Read 1838 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Crayfishing with finfish as bait?
« on: September 06, 2021, 12:01:46 AM »

Came across this crayfish trap in the Vedder Canal today, with the head of a fish as bait. Am I correct in my reading of the regs that the use of finfish for bait is only permitted for sturgeon fishing in Region 2?

Also came across this Gatorade bottle that was floating in the current, tethered to the bottom. I snagged the line that was holding it to the bottom and brought up a length of mono with weights and a hook (you may  be able to make out the gear to the right of the bottle). The line was secured to the bottle by tightening down the cap. Some ingenious angler was using the the 950ml bottle as a float! It must have been super difficult to cast but I give him/her high marks for creativity :)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 12:03:57 AM by clarki »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Crayfishing with finfish as bait?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 07:59:53 AM »

skunked again?

pg 21

Dead fin fish as bait: only permitted in Region 2 when sport fishing for sturgeon in the Fraser River, Lower Pitt River (CPR Bridge upstream to Pitt Lake), Lower Harrison River (Fraser River upstream to Harrison Lake). See page 8 for details

pg 8

You may use the head of fin fish or the headless body of fin fish as bait, only:(a)  when sport fishing for sturgeon in Region 2 only on the Fraser River, Lower Pitt River (CPR Bridge upstream to Pitt Lake), Lower Harrison River (Fraser River upstream to Harrison Lake),
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 10:51:49 AM »

Thanks. Yes, those were the two references I found as well.

I was curious if there was something else in the regs that was a variance for crayfishing. Perhaps not...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »

Not that I know of. I bet they didn't think of it. They don't think of everything. Did you see what kind of fish it was? Was the head on?

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 04:41:36 PM »

It was just the head, appeared to be of a pink.

Technically a violation, but not one I would get too bent out of shape over

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 10:07:36 PM »

I guess if cray fishing was a big part of the local 'industry' with dozens of professional guides with clients like the sturgeon fishery has they'd have a special  exemption as well.