Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish are caught in the middle of the catch-and-release debate  (Read 2765 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Mark Hume, BC based writer and angler has published a opinion piece in today's Globe and Mail, on the growing debate on catch and release angling.. It's a good review of the history, science and the social pros and cons of catch and release;

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-fish-are-caught-in-the-middle-of-the-catch-and-release-debate/

NOTE: you may need a subscription to read the article at this point though in most cases the restriction is removed in a few days.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

coastangler

Re: Fish are caught in the middle of the catch-and-release debate
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 03:45:51 PM »

FYI you can usually bypass the subscriber login wall if you Google the article's title and load Google's cached version, i.e. search for "fish are caught in the middle of the catch-and-release debate" and then, beside the URL, click the down arrow and select "cached"

Great article. I wasn't aware that there is a C&R ban in Germany and Switzerland. What are anglers supposed to do with a bycatch they cannot keep? It seems a bit backwards.

Also, great to read some of the science around fish pain when biting a hook.
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 07:40:25 PM »

Interesting article, Ralph, thanks for posting. Have been a fan of Mark Hum's writing for a couple of decades now.

I wonder the future of catch and release recreational angling provided the shift in land ownership from Crown to Indigenous?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:21:02 AM »

Catch and release isn't technically illegal in Germany. The law requires that to harm an animal there has to be a valid purpose such as killing it for food. The situation is actually a bit more liberal in Switzerland where the onus on the angler to handle the fish properly and also to kill any non-native fish (such as rainbow trout) is required. There is an expectation that the angler is fishing to take a fish to eat but doesn't have to kill every legal fish.

Here's a interesting video from Germany that goes over the situation there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjhYHVGiMTc&t=619s

The dialogue is in German but there are subtitles. One point is that legal size and slot limits are consistent with the law. Also as on e fellow says, an acceptance that fish are 'slippery creatures' & hard to handle. :)

Compared to here, The cultural angling environment is quite different in Europe and the British Isles where much of the water is privately held. In the UK there has been a big change over the last 30 years, at least with game fish angling. Most of the waters are now controlled by club or associations. While there are few waters managed on a C&R basis , releasing trout and salmon has become common and accepted. It had been that way with coarse fish well before that.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Barbelface

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 10:56:38 PM »

Many, if not all running water in the the UK is controlled by Angling Associations and has been for decades. My local fishing club RWAS was founded in 1858!

The Green Party in Germany started the movement of discouraging catch and release in the late 90’s. It was a pitiful sight to see large amounts of prime specimen carp, bream, tench and roach tossed up the backside on these venues.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 02:26:35 PM »

Letters to the Editor re: Mark Hume's Something Fishy essay last week.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/letters/article-june-19-parliament-should-be-a-nurturing-place-where-one-can-attain/

Scroll down to "Fish tales". Generally not complimentary.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »

Fish tales
Re Something Fishy (Opinion, June 12): In the debate over fish pain, I find that the evidence falls firmly on the side of fish.

In one compelling study, zebrafish injected with acid were willing to pay a cost (swimming into a dangerous area) to receive a painkiller, whereas those injected with benign saline stayed put. A 2016 article titled “Why fish do not feel pain,” published in the journal Animal Sentience, generated more than 40 responses from scholars, practically all rebuttals. Given that fish demonstrate tool use, face recognition, mental mapping, virtue, problem-solving, planning, collaboration and learning by observation, to name but a few skills, should we be surprised that they have basic capacity for pain and suffering?

Such questions may soon become moot. More than a dozen new companies – funded by hundreds of millions of dollars – are developing and producing both plant-based and cultured (lab-grown) seafood products, from shrimp to sushi.

Jonathan Balcombe Biologist; author, What a Fish Knows; Belleville, Ont.

Glad to hear there’s new impetus to do away with the practice of catch-and-release. I’ve never understood its rationale nor believed that it is as benign as claimed, and nothing in this article convinces me otherwise.

As for the long history of catch-and-release, why would that be an argument in its favour? The only thing it seems to demonstrate is human penchant for dominating our environment, rather than living in harmony.

It was, however, good to see a discussion of the devastating impact of many commercial fisheries; we need more awareness of the importance of making careful choices when buying fish.

Nancy McFadden Calgary

I abhor any and all so-called sports that involve animals, unless the animal involved has given written permission. In his defence of fly fishers, contributor Mark Hume writes that “it’s a way of finding their place in nature.” But what about the place in nature sought by the prey?

In my opinion, it is immoral to seek pleasure at the expense of others.

Ken Pattern Vancouver

I have often felt that instead of “catch-and-release,” this method of fishing should be called “catch, torture and release to die.” I could never understand why it has been considered an acceptable practice.

A good day on the water for many sport fishers is catching and letting go fish after fish, knowing full well that many of them are not going to live to be caught another day. In fishing derbies, where the biggest fish is the one to keep in hopes of winning a prize, they are caught and thrown back in favour of bigger. How can this possibly be good for the conservation of declining fish stock?

The consequences of this type of fishing should be addressed before the fish population collapses.

Yvonne Andre Campbell River, B.C.

I read this article with pleasure. I have always considered catch-and-release repugnant. If one doesn’t want to eat fish, do not go fishing. If one wants to maintain fish stocks, do not go fishing.

To think that fish are supposed to not feel pain seems foolish when I see them struggle on hooks. Imagine the outcry if this cruelty were inflicted on dogs or cats.

I have caught and eaten a lot of fish in my time, and plan to continue doing so. But I do my best to make the end for the fish as quick and painless as possible.

Chas Low Victoria

Wonder how we sports-fishing enthusiasts would feel if a horse decided to drag us on our backs in the forest just for fun and “horsing around?” I am sure he would feel good knowing he let us live (for the next time) after having his fun for the day.

Kadir John Hussein Oakville, Ont.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 03:53:41 PM »

A good question is "If not catch and release, what then?'

Do we do away with sport fishing as it's been known for several hundred years?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 11:53:41 PM »

Do you get to have a choice when your in First Nation traditional and unseeded territory. More and more the courts are saying no you don’t it’s follow the rules of First Nations.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 07:24:11 AM »

True but this isn't an issue that's been caused exclusively by court granted FN rights or political power. It's been around in the Sports angling community for decades as it also has in the Animal rights and welfare community. Science has increasingly poked large holes in the assumptions anglers have used to extend c&r into an "angling philosophy". Balcombe's letter is a good indication of that. C&R was created to as a management tool and we need to rethink how & where we use it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 09:04:26 AM »

Respect the people’s land , bonk the cutthroat  trout

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 09:46:50 AM »

Troll!  ;D LOL.

BTW they certainly can be bonked if caught in a lake. That's why I am trying to convince my wife we move to Powell River when we are both retired. If we had decent regs and land development practices that protected cuttroat habitat we could be bonking them. We took up catch and release because our culture by and large doesn't care about those sort of values...that don't translate into  money which is a simplistic distortion of value.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 09:52:07 AM by RalphH »

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 06:48:32 PM »

Catch and release has undoubtedly resulted in decreasing the fishing pressure on some fisheries.  Many of my acquaintances have no problem with releasing under or oversized fish or protected species but they do not participate in catch and release only fisheries, there has to be a possibility of taking something home or they don’t go.  They also absolutely will not pay for guided catch and release fishing.  I have been trying for years to get some interested in guided wilderness trips to C&R territory but nope.