Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Fly box 12 - Coho Dart  (Read 7135 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
My Fly box 12 - Coho Dart
« on: October 11, 2020, 02:36:39 PM »

Thread: Orange 6/0
Hook: #6 to #10 regular shank SS (Maruto 1930)
Tail: Fl chartreuse craft fur with 4 to 6 strands gold polar flash
Body: Fl chartreuse plastic chenille
Head: silver bead chain

Here is a decidedly non-classic, new pattern. I first tied it last year for pinks on the Squamish River of which it caught a few during a poor return. What I found a month or more later was it is effective for coho and I caught 3 the first day out of my season late last September. While it didn't always out fish my long favorites it has been consistent enough for coho plus the odd chum and cutthroat to take up some space in my fly box.

The tail should be about the length of the hook shank. I think marabou, rabbit fur or other soft hair could be used in place of craft fur.

It is intended to be simple and quick to tie. I call it a dart because it resembles the shad darts used in New England and the Maritimes for shad. I fish it with a quick strip so the bead chain produces a jigging effect.

I am sure other colors will work. I have a few in olive just waiting to be tested.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanTfisherman

Re: My Fly box 12 - Coho Dart
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 09:51:35 PM »

Cool.
Thanks for sharing.
Reminds me of a blob with eyes.

What are some of the more long time favourites you use?
I like palmer chenielle in browns and green tied as sparkle buggers.

I had a new pattern I meant to tie with blue and polar bear, but have been a little lazy and too busy to get to it.

Dano

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 07:09:07 AM »

Dan, thanks for your interest in my post.

My most effective patterns are:

Olive Flash (sparkle) bugger

Gold Rolled Muddler with a bead

KCK

Mickey Finn

this reflects what I fish most of the time. I've had luck with other patterns like a blue and silver Xmas tree.

I finally got some fritz from a local shop and after tying a couple of blobs like a tequila I couldn't help think those patterns should be good for coho.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanTfisherman

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »

Good to know.
I use a number of those and tend to incorporate flame orange into most of my flies in one way or another.

Thanks,
Dan

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 12:21:35 AM »

Ralph, of those 4 patterns, is there one that is your go-to pattern that you turn to most often, or that you tend to tie on first.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 08:16:56 AM »

Ralph, of those 4 patterns, is there one that is your go-to pattern that you turn to most often, or that you tend to tie on first.

I have listed them in order of preference so the Olive Bugger is #1. I estimate it has caught maybe 70% of my coho over the years. Of course it has worked so well for me there is a use bias.

I will post a photo or 2 here shortly.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 05:27:41 PM »

Olive bugger - It uses a gold cone, sparkle chenille, about 6 strands of gold polar flash each side of the tail and saddle hackle. Sizes #6 & #8 2 to 3 xl

sometimes I use smaller hooks such as a #10 but use a bead. Based on my observations I think cones add some extra flash vs beads.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 10:23:43 PM »

Thanks Ralph. Really appreciating your Flybox themed posts.

The tail appears to be marabou?

DanTfisherman

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 11:12:13 AM »

Does appear to be marabou tail.
I am not a fan of marabou myself.
I tend to get dyed rabbit strip, cross cut, and cut the rabbit fur from the hide and tie this in.

Dano

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 01:02:37 PM »

yes it is marabou. You can use a substitute such as rabbit fur etc