Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "No it's not ok"  (Read 3512 times)

stsfisher

"No it's not ok"
« on: March 10, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »

I know it probably was not a member from this forum I had the pleasure of meeting yesterday while enjoying a day on the river in a non fishing manner. And I already know through that interaction that this angler was very aware of the regulations. But because that angler was aware, choose to ignore them and figured it was no a big deal, I figured a reminder to all anglers who are fishing and retaining hatchery steelhead in British Columbia was appropriate.

" When you have caught and retained
your daily quota of hatchery steelhead
from any water, you must stop fishing
that water for the remainder of the day
"

Fatso

Re: "No it's not ok"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 09:44:52 PM »

Thats the rule?

So if you catch a bunch but dont retain any are you allowed to catch and release all day?

Is that rule to prevent “high grading”, or whatever the rule is?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 08:50:12 AM »

So if you catch a bunch but dont retain any are you allowed to catch and release all day?

Correct. Also if you get your limit of steelhead, there is no rule preventing you from going to a different system and C&R more steelhead all day long or target another species.

High Grading is already illegal, so I guess the rule is to limit the impact on the resource (ie reduce risk on wild fish)? Note this rule is only for steelhead and not for any other species.

As for the original infraction, one cant really be expected to do much other than inform the person, and/or report it. If they already know the regs, then that's on them.

Fatso

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 02:42:46 PM »

Thanks DanL  :)

SPEYMAN

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 05:25:27 PM »

Suggest you read the Fresh Water Regulations. There is occasionally incorrect information on the web.