Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales amended recovery strategy  (Read 2740 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

Totally Effed...

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/species-risk-public-registry/recovery-strategies/northern-southern-killer-whales-2018-proposed-amended.html#toc3

This government now plans to ram through even more massive closures, based on (--) poor or nonexistent science.
Coming soon to you, total bans on fishing from Sooke right around to Tofino.
Goodbye Ukee, Port, Bamfield, Renfew & Sooke.

Yet they care not, it actually appears to be punishment for the way folks voted (there are NO LIEberal ridings anywhere adjacent).

Happy I got out when I did.
Worried as hell for those still in, and the Communities that they support.

Wondering where the hell this all ends...

Pissed,
Matt

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales amended recovery strategy
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 11:43:05 AM »

It gets worse...

Six conservation groups have filed a lawsuit in Federal Court over the Canadian government's failure to issue an emergency order to protect B.C.'s endangered southern resident killer whales.

Lawyers with Ecojustice filed the Federal Court application Wednesday on behalf of the David Suzuki Foundation, Georgia Strait Alliance, Natural Resources Defense Council, Raincoast Conservation Foundation and World Wildlife Fund Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/killer-whales-lawsuit-conservation-fisheries-environment-1.4811356

Totaly Effed...
Nog

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 05:56:53 PM »

This is why I have always cautioned people about pledging their support for these groups on other fronts such as the salmon farming issue.  These groups are empowered using unsettled science and knowledge gaps and now we are seeing the results of this empowerment.  Look at them go now.  argh!
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:16:35 PM »

The public has has empowered these groups as educators which they are not.  Follow the money.  Now that they have the SRKW's they have no need for the support of small coastal communities. 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Fatso

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 09:37:26 AM »

Yes, this is effed fo' sho'.

"Save the Orcas" is the rallying cry of a certain bunch of groups who will use this as an excuse to first shut down salmon fishing.... then what?

The sky is the limit. 

Shut down the expansion of the Transmountain pipeline..... already in the process of being done.

Orcas are important but are they really in that much jeopardy?  Like Nog said its unproven science.  I believe its really just a narrative by special interest groups to change our laws to change our behaviours.

So why is it being promoted?

What is the plan?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »

well I guess we can all agree that something or some people are effed? Eh?
 ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fatso

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 02:59:08 PM »

Totally :)