Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can you stand it?  (Read 3888 times)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
How can you stand it?
« on: July 23, 2004, 06:35:38 PM »

With sockeye opening in the fraser, there will be lots of people lining the bars of the Fraser river. Personally I can't stand casting 5 - 10 feet away from someone else that is using a ten foot long leader. I understand that Sockeye salmon is very expensive and is an important food fish, but isn't it sort of extreme to go to the fraser in the blazing hot sun, with mosquitoes and a hundred other fishermen, just for 2 sockeye? I think we should just relax a little, thats all. Have fun and tight lines

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re:How can you stand it?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 07:46:57 PM »

Not worth it indeed. It always baffles me when people complain about the social aspect of this fishery yet they go back again and again. It would be more relaxing to buy a couple of fish. Yes, you save $20, but you raise your blood pressure at the same time. ::)

Chum Man, we'll see you at Garry Point Park. Starting tomorrow we'll be taking kids down there for our youth fishing camp. We'll be float fishing for chub and other little critters. One fish after another for four hours. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 09:26:54 PM »

What a deal - 2 sockeyes for $20.00 !

Randog

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 02:00:33 PM »

Here we go again. The cost of fish is actually very cheap if you concider the costs involved in catching them.

If your angling to save money on purchasing fish, than I'm sorry to say that you've failed economics 101. ::)

d_w

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 02:31:31 PM »

Ide rather spend the extra money to spend a day on the river catching fish being it. flossing, bar fishing ,drift fishing, or flyfishing, than rather buy the store bougten fish :-X

Just My 2 Cents :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 02:36:17 PM by d_w »
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 06:40:56 PM »

Randog, you need to know I have now proudly decreased the cost of my fish to $450 Canadian per lb.  ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 11:04:51 PM »

Personally I don't find the sockeye fishing crowd to be a nuisance. Sure, there are some bad apples out there, but the people I've met and have gotten to know over the years are really quite nice and we have no problems fishing five feet apart from each other. I find it the same as when I fish the Vedder or the Chehalis. If you treat others well then they will treat you well and before you know it you become good fishing friends, and once you become friends you can fish two feet apart from each other and never cross lines.

I agree it is a GONG show at Laidlaw and Scale, but you don't need to fish where all the people are. Get away from the crowd that's standing waist deep water. All they are doing is driving the fish farther away from the beach. Also, I usually don't get out until 7pm and by then the crowd has thinned out and there is usually a nice breeze on the Fraser. Catching fish is never a problem so I try to get my two quickly and get out. Catching my own is more fun than buying. That way I get to enjoy the outdoors for several hours.