Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wondering  (Read 10108 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Wondering
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:56:50 AM »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Wondering
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:12:56 AM »

I didn't see this on any fish I caught this year.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:42:48 AM »

Chum returns on the Vedder are very low this season as well. Buck and I were shocked how few there are in the off channel areas in the lower river when we looked on Wednesday.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »

chum and spring returns were low in the Coquitlam as well this year

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »

Huh?
The article doesn't mention low returns - it is about doe's dying before spawning with black or white eggs.
The waters I frequented had lots of spawned out fish. I didn't notice any unspawned dead fish.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »

There was late returns, but this is the first im hearing about low numbers. The water levels and temperature really pushed the coho and chum back a few weeks this year I noticed. But the numbers seemed good to me once the rains came on heavy in October.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »

Huh?
The article doesn't mention low returns - it is about doe's dying before spawning with black or white eggs.
The waters I frequented had lots of spawned out fish. I didn't notice any unspawned dead fish.

“To put this in perspective,” says Stanger, last year we’d be finding 25-35 live chum weekly. Our largest weekly chum count to date is eight, but most counts have been zero to two, and the dead fish, mostly unspawned, seem to deteriorate very quickly – in the space of a week. I’ve never seen that before.”

Olson was also shocked by the weak returns.

“The numbers this year are horrendous. I’ve never seen such low returns on both chum and coho.”

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »

Or it could be that with the unprecedented high water levels the dead chum were all washed away.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 11:58:15 AM »

"What’s troubling is that two of the chum appeared to have completely abnormal eggs – Doug Stanger, streamkeeper."

I'm very skepticle about that article.  It lacks several of the key elements that are required to explain to the reader how they got to draw their conclusions, for instance what the sample size was.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »

typhoon, on the Vedder there is no doubt the recent flood washed away a lot of carcasses on the main stem, but high water does not impact the controlled flow off channel areas Buck and I visited.  The fish simply are not there in the numbers we have seen in the past few years.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 03:10:28 PM »

Looks like the only one likely to test those fish was good ol A.M. not the DFO. Probably something all the stream keeper types should know as well. Kudo's to her.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »

If people believe DFO are not doing their job, blame the government.  Ottawa has effectively gagged DFO, for instance during the Mt. Polley spill Ottawa told DFO not to collect samples or say anything bad about the industry.

Looks like the only one likely to test those fish was good ol A.M. not the DFO. Probably something all the stream keeper types should know as well. Kudo's to her.

As for A.M., she is not held in high regards amongst the academic community in regards to credibility.  This includes the biologists and scientists that are not gagged by the government due to work outside of Ottawa's reach.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »

As for A.M., she is not held in high regards amongst the academic community in regards to credibility.  This includes the biologists and scientists that are not gagged by the government due to work outside of Ottawa's reach.
That's like telling tb there is no Santa Claus  ;)

islanddude

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »

There was a poor return to the Campbell River system this year also for chum.  The hatchery never reached their target of Chinook eggs because of a low return. Cohos returns where normal.
 A lot of pinks died with out spawning due to low warm water. When the Quinsam did receive rain the water was full of rotting pink flesh. You had to clean the fish flesh off of your line and swivels. Apparently about 1.5 million pinks came back. Don't quote me though.
 You where allowed to keep one wild coho in the ocean this yr. I wonder if this impacted some of those streams.
 Are we starting to see the effects of Fukushima?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 07:29:26 PM »

There was a poor return to the Campbell River system this year also for chum.  The hatchery never reached their target of Chinook eggs because of a low return. Cohos returns where normal.
 A lot of pinks died with out spawning due to low warm water. When the Quinsam did receive rain the water was full of rotting pink flesh. You had to clean the fish flesh off of your line and swivels. Apparently about 1.5 million pinks came back. Don't quote me though.
 You where allowed to keep one wild coho in the ocean this yr. I wonder if this impacted some of those streams.
 Are we starting to see the effects of Fukushima?
Also consider the fact there was a lot of fishing activity by all sectors for sockeye for an extended time period this season.