Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tackle shops banning bouncing Betties?  (Read 31034 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Tackle shops banning bouncing Betties?
« on: October 19, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »

This is merely food for thought, but we should push the shops to all stop selling Betties. I know they all need to make money, but if we can get them all to stop selling these it would be fair. We aren't going to change the DFOs mind, and it's a complete long shot. The shop owners are the ones taking the risk, but its for the greater good of our fishery. If we could only convince the major shops to lead the pack and stop pushing bad practices.

I know it's whack to think they might actually consider this, but it's worth a shot isn't it?

I know they could still buy them online, but it would reduce the numbers for sure.

EDIT: Read the whole thread if you can, before replying. I have changed my views because of it. Education is key, not banning.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:30:34 PM by Flytech »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Tackle shops banning bouncing Betties?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:40:00 AM »

maybe it would be better if some people stopped thinking like fascists.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 07:46:27 AM »

Many people make their own weights, including bettys.

(A real bouncing Betty is actually made of rubber and weighs about an ounce.)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:14:35 AM »

maybe it would be better if some people stopped thinking like fascists.

Ralph,  you just love being a douche don't you?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:17:11 AM »

Many people make their own weights, including bettys.

(A real bouncing Betty is actually made of rubber and weighs about an ounce.)

Of course, just thinking of the sheer numbers. You wouldn't be able to remove it completely, as I said, they could still get access to them. But it would reduce the amount of people that only know flossing as the go to method of catching salmon. Hopefully the shops would educate fishermen on good practices instead.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:34:30 AM »

They just switch to pencil lead.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:35:29 AM »

I'd rather they refused to stock river lures with hooks bigger than 1 or 2/0.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 08:53:51 AM »

Ralph,  you just love being a douche don't you?

hah! You can't do any better can you. You need to consider that having a free society means some people will do things we find inappropriate and distasteful to the point of being disgusting. Remember when homosexuality was illegal? Are you like that - someone who doesn't like or reads in a book that it's immoral or unethical as the current naive like to say these days so has to wipe something from the public? To me that is thinking like a fascist. Fascism simply means everyone should be like everyone else and power will be used to make it so.

Lots of other weights than bettys do the job. people were flossing socks for years before bettys showed up in the shops. You've put very little thought into your modest proposal.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:58:04 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:29:42 AM »

Wow, ok Ralph. You win. Smart guy. I love how you take something and just explode it in to some dramatic scene to make a point.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »

They just switch to pencil lead.

That's not nearly as effective, lose a lot more gear that way.

DRP79

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »

Wow, ok Ralph. You win. Smart guy. I love how you take something and just explode it in to some dramatic scene to make a point.

Ralph shared his opinion on your post, then you resorted to name calling rather than defending your stance. Ralph is not the one exploding the situation.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »

Right this from someone who makes the proverbial mountain from a molehill.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »

Ralph shared his opinion on your post, then you resorted to name calling rather than defending your stance. Ralph is not the one exploding the situation.

I didn't say he was exploding the situation, I was referring to his homosexuality being illegal at point comment. I was talking about his dramatic analogy? Its like comparing speeding with murder, overblown. He implied I was a facist, so I called him a douche.

FishNewb

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 10:37:06 AM »

Local shops may listen to our suggestions, but we would have a much harder time convincing large corporations such as Walmart and Canadian tire. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 10:50:55 AM »

there was no implication you are a fascist so now you are exploding the situation with dramatic analogy. I don't care and am not offended at being called a douche. As I said that is the best you can do, enough said. No doubt the exchange was pretty 50-50.

Perhaps you and others need to think a bit more about your passionate concern over flossing and bettys. Perhaps some of you are more passion victims than passionate. The fall salmon fishing has been a gong show in all the time I have been fishing which is over 50 years. In that whole time newbies have been showing up with the wrong tactics and no idea of protocol on those streams. Banning bettys or anything else won't make that go away.