Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River violations  (Read 32270 times)

Shawn6o4

Re: Capilano River violations
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 09:35:38 PM »

Aren't the fish worth more then the roe?
 That's probly why it's left behind

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »

Why don't we, as a fishing community, put pressure on CO's, DFO, and RCMP to have occasional blitzes, working together, on rivers to crack down on violators.  I think just doing a few times a year would be a good show of force to ward off violators.  They amount of stuff they'd get in seizures would pay for their time to do this.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »

I believe they do blitzes. Couple of years ago my buddy and I spotted 7 conservation officers on the Vedder

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 10:09:23 PM »

Probably someone looking to sell cured roe, but got spooked and left the goods.

Roe weighs a lot less than all the fish they carried out...

Why don't we, as a fishing community, put pressure on CO's, DFO, and RCMP to have occasional blitzes, working together, on rivers to crack down on violators.  I think just doing a few times a year would be a good show of force to ward off violators.  They amount of stuff they'd get in seizures would pay for their time to do this.

The only problem is there are plenty of resource users expressing dissatisfaction with different fisheries resource management challenges on the forums and amongst each other - much like this thread about poaching - but when it comes time to take initiative and tackle some of these issues, everyone disappears. This is most frustrating.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:54:06 PM by silver ghost »

cbc_chantelle

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »

I came across this thread via a fishing friend and curious where would be the best place to see this happening? I work for the CBC and am curious to check out the scene to see what's going on. Thoughts?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »

I came across this thread via a fishing friend and curious where would be the best place to see this happening? I work for the CBC and am curious to check out the scene to see what's going on. Thoughts?

Chantelle,

It's great to see that you are interested to possibly pick this story up because it's definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. Several problems have been pointed out in this discussion. The Capilano River salmon fishery is in the middle of Metro Vancouver so recreational fishing pressure can be pretty high during certain time of the year (ie. right now when salmon are returning to spawn). Like other recreational fisheries, there are regulations which are designed to protect vulnerable species such as summer steelhead in this river. Some of these regulations include the hook needs to be barbless, no use of bait between August and October and of course there are limits on how many salmon can be harvested and what species cannot be harvested. Among recreational anglers who access the Capilano River, some are unaware of these regulations as they are new to the activity, but you also have users who choose to completely disregard the regulations and can be seen violating the rules on broad daylight due to the lack of enforcement. You also have night time poaching by individuals who intend to harvest as many fish as possible.

My recommendation is for you to go there with an individual who is familiar with these issues. Someone from the Steelhead Society of BC is a good candidate for this. "Silver Ghost" in this discussion is a director of SSBC and if this is something you are interested in, you can email me at info@fishingwithrod.com and I'll provide his contact (or other contacts if he is not available).

bald_seagull

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 08:09:41 PM »

Great idea. The only problem with that is there are plenty of guys gossiping on the public forums about how bad poaching is on a 2km put and take hatchery system, but when the time comes to take initiative, write letters, attend meetings, or generally show any lack of leadership or initiative other than pointing fingers, everyone disappears.

All I can say is thank god for all the volunteer-run grassroots conservationist groups, ENGOs etc.

First of all thanks to all those that do volunteer their spare time to helping the fisheries

Silver, did you not post something the other day that shows your inability to read and follow the regs

i think its a little more than gossip when the evidence is out in plain site

But most guys have jobs, lives and familys that dont allow them to make such commitments to such groups
, Im sure most legit guys do there part while on the river to inform people what the rules are but you cant physically make anyone do anything, well you can but theres consequences

if this was bowmanville creek back home i wouldnt think twice about bootphucking someone into the river that doesnt agree with the regulations, at the cap not really an option as i could see it ending in a manslaughter case

just because its a put and take system doesnt mean, we should rape the fishery, its a great place to go when you only have a bit of time to fish
not to mention i saw about 20 wild fish caught off the beach this summer got 5 myself

ive been down the to cap twice and called the dfo twice never saw an officer which is too bad
if people knew that the ministry or dfo would show up in a reasonable time frame that would scare most guys straight and cause the guy intent on poaching and snagging to have to do a lot more sneaking around instead of fishing unlawfully on a sunday afternoon at the easiest pool to access

why is it my job?, i do my part i follow the regs, purchase the both licenses and pick up what i pack in and whatever other garbage i can see

you want some formwork done or concrete finished call me but as a guy with max 4 or 5 hours most weeks to fish i cant be donating my time to any group,

is that not we we have dfo or the ministry officers in the first place?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:59:40 PM by bald_seagull »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2014, 11:19:07 PM »

First of all thanks to all those that do volunteer their spare time to helping the fisheries

Silver, did you not post something the other day that shows your inability to read and follow the regs

i think its a little more than gossip when the evidence is out in plain site

But most guys have jobs, lives and familys that dont allow them to make such commitments to such groups
, Im sure most legit guys do there part while on the river to inform people what the rules are but you cant physically make anyone do anything, well you can but theres consequences

if this was bowmanville creek back home i wouldnt think twice about bootphucking someone into the river that doesnt agree with the regulations, at the cap not really an option as i could see it ending in a manslaughter case

just because its a put and take system doesnt mean, we should rape the fishery, its a great place to go when you only have a bit of time to fish
not to mention i saw about 20 wild fish caught off the beach this summer got 5 myself

ive been down the to cap twice and called the dfo twice never saw an officer which is too bad
if people knew that the ministry or dfo would show up in a reasonable time frame that would scare most guys straight and cause the guy intent on poaching and snagging to have to do a lot more sneaking around instead of fishing unlawfully on a sunday afternoon at the easiest pool to access

why is it my job?, i do my part i follow the regs, purchase the both licenses and pick up what i pack in and whatever other garbage i can see

you want some formwork done or concrete finished call me but as a guy with max 4 or 5 hours most weeks to fish i cant be donating my time to any group,

is that not we we have dfo or the ministry officers in the first place?

I re-read my post and realized it didn't convey my message in the way I intended it so I edited.

I'm not saying you have to donate time to any group, I just mean there are other resources at the "weekend angler's" discretion that require a very miimal time commitment, yet still few people step up.

For example, instead of spending the half hour online while waiting for dinner to cook, guys could send a quick note/voicemail to our politicians and resource managers expressing their concern, for this is the only way progress can be made.

And regarding your comment, I believe you have confused my forum name with another member.

bald_seagull

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 05:54:11 AM »

And regarding your comment, I believe you have confused my forum name with another member.

my bad it was another guy named silver

VA7DDP

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2014, 03:25:52 PM »

The RCMP had a member out on the Capilano today; he was checking ID and Fishing Licenses (Highway 1 Bridge).

--

Also some disgust I found today at Highway 1 Bridge; Someone decided to gut and fillet their fish on the bank leaving the head and spine behind. (See Photos)

This is pulled from the Provincial Regulations "Leave the head, tail and all fins on your catch until you get them to your permanent (ordinary) residence. We suggest you immediately remove the gills and internal organs of any fish you keep to reduce spoilage."

Regards;
Deven Prasad

Silver

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2014, 05:14:31 PM »

Watch out...Steven 'Seagull' is Out for Justice on the Capilano!

ride604

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »

A Conservation Officer called me yesterday from Highway 1 Pool to follow up on the report I filed (see page 1).  Glad to hear they are out there.

rustybee

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

Whole thing is a sham. Only way to police the mob is to have conservation officers go as normal anglers. Issue a whole bunch of tickets and have all these violators looking over each other's shoulders wondering who is the undercover...

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2014, 09:46:57 AM »

Whole thing is a sham. Only way to police the mob is to have conservation officers go as normal anglers. Issue a whole bunch of tickets and have all these violators looking over each other's shoulders wondering who is the undercover...

Most likely they will know, as to issue the ticket the officers have to check licenses etc.  They would figure out who it is as there arent thay many co's around
Besides, as much of a issue this is, its not important enough to have all the regional staff on the river, leaving countless km's of other rivers wide open...