Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River violations  (Read 32268 times)

1son

Re: Capilano River violations
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »

That's quite the scene, such a waste of roe what a bunch of scum bags.

jpar247

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 03:40:50 AM »

Here is those big Trebles at work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzhtNkNsv4

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 07:57:51 AM »

Not trying to stir the pot here - but using bait on the Capilano to me seems less of an issue opposed to bottom bouncing/flossing the Fraser when the sockeye are closed (trying to get a spring) or when other protected species like the interior coho or Thompson steelhead are in, or allowing commercial fishing when other protected species are present.  Don't get me wrong, I do not condone contravening the regulations, and I hope DFO shows up some day and busts these guys.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 08:00:02 AM »

...and the photos posted by Silver Ghost are quite disturbing.  What a mess!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »

I bet its not FN fishers. 

I coach a lacrosse team and have a number of FN players, some of which fish.  We share reports etc so they have told me that they too throw the white springs back as they prefer coho. As well, if you are FN, you dont have to sneak around in the middle of the night to snag a fish.

Pin-nook

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 09:01:48 AM »

I coach a lacrosse team and have a number of FN players, some of which fish.  We share reports etc so they have told me that they too throw the white springs back as they prefer coho. As well, if you are FN, you dont have to sneak around in the middle of the night to snag a fish.

Are you serious Gooey??  As a local you should know better! I have disturbing pics from the same pool from early 2000 and the culprits tried to do it again another night and got busted and guess what Gooey, you are wrong!!

About 5-6 years ago a FN teen came up to Keith Road pool and started snagging fish in between us fishermen and as people helled out he continued to whack every fish he snagged. I along with a couple guys reported it and was told they have someone coming out to investigate but when I returned in the afternoon, the teen was gone and the same people that were there in the morning said he had people come down to help him pack out over 25 fish and no site of a fisheries officer the whole day.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »

I have never run across natives (off of the reserve area) snagging fish on the cap...I have however seen lots of identifiable groups other than FN abusing the cap in a variety of spots.

Didnt 3 FN guys get busted breaking into the hatchery and netting some fish out of a holding tank...there are always going to be a few numb nutz out there but in general, I see more abuse from other groups.

While certain FN individuals may not always come across as stewards of the land, I think in general, there is a stronger connection and releranve for the environment with FN people than with other cultures that are known for plundering their natural environment.

Bottom line is that if FN are going to be taking fish for their community, the cap is a perfect place to do it: there is no wild run left, the fishery is maintained by a federal hatchery, the springs aren't even nature to the river (I've been told they are harrison stock), there is very little natural spawning grounds, the water is super cold and fluctuates wildly which greatly impacts what little spawing there is, etc, etc.

If I saw this on the seymour, or up either valley it would be a different story but thats not the case....

Drewhill

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 09:20:19 AM »

This is the problem with the bait ban, it leads to 3 types of fishermen: Fully legal guys, guys who fish roe but won't snag and guys who snag. The guys who snag tend to fish the spots that are easy access and most popular. The guys that fish roe will go into the canyon to not get caught and the guys who are fully legit try to get away from both. Well usually if the legit fishermen outnumber the snaggers, they will force the snaggers away by bitching them out. Now in those spots, the snaggers outnumber the legit guys and there's no self policing.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 09:28:31 AM »

there's no self policing.

How do you do self policing without any confrontation, since we have no right.

All we can do is call RAPP line.

Golfer

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 09:59:05 AM »

Went out this morning for 2 hours, got one hit on a copper spinner and that is all.  Only saw 4 fish in the pool I was fishing, all springs, normally at this time of year it is chockablock full of coho along side the springs...  On the bright side, there was a DFO or RCMP officer around the canyon pools this morning. 

Ambassador

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »

Bottom line is that if FN are going to be taking fish for their community, the cap is a perfect place to do it: there is no wild run left, the fishery is maintained by a federal hatchery, the springs aren't even nature to the river (I've been told they are harrison stock), there is very little natural spawning grounds, the water is super cold and fluctuates wildly which greatly impacts what little spawing there is, etc, etc.
If I saw this on the Seymour, or up either valley it would be a different story but thats not the case....
x2

IMO Fisheries have 2 goals they need to achieve the Capilano River - make sure the Band can take as many fish as they need at the mouth, and ensure enough fish are making their way up tribs like Brothers and to the hatchery to spawn the next round and show the tourists how well we are doing it. I have never seen a fisheries officer on the Cap - and wouldn't think I would see one there during Sockeye season specifically as they are likely (and should) be on the Fraser protecting much larger and more sensitive wild fisheries. Nice to hear they were out this morning as Golfer mentioned - even if it is the RCMP doing DFO work.

Does anyone have one of those wildlife cams we can set up on the stairs overnight and start calling these people out? Public shamings seem like they are going to be the only way anything changes on this river.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 11:42:11 AM »

On the bright side, there was a DFO or RCMP officer around the canyon pools this morning.

I thought they would be out this morning.

jpar247

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »

Im sure one of you upset Cap fishermen must have nice DSLR with a telephoto lens. Play CIA for the day and sit on the opposite side of the main pools and snap some shots... Past them along to DFO or the News(They love stories they dont have too work hard for or travel great distances)... Sounds like the legit guys aren't doing to well fishing so they might as well snap some pics of these scumbags...

bald_seagull

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »

2nd that

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »

Probably someone looking to sell cured roe, but got spooked and left the goods.