Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire Under Canal Highway Bridge Causes Accident  (Read 21377 times)

Sr SQ

Re: Fire Under Canal Highway Bridge Causes Accident
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »

I have a little different school of thought on this one as I pull on my nomex suit, lol

While I agree with most that there are a lot of awful drivers out there that way overdrive their ability and follow too closely but......some of the ownership must be put on the guy out front that for no other reason than a bit of smoke jammed on his brakes hard enough to cause this chain reaction.
No bigger peeve for me than the idiot out front continuously jamming on his brakes wreaking havoc on the flow of traffic commanding everyones 100% attention so they dont end up in his trunk.
This wasnt a case of something un-expectantly jumping out in front of him, he had to have seen the smoke before getting there, unless he was busy texting?
The news showed the wood from the fire......hardly something large enough to completely black out the highway causing zero visibility?
Did he not realize the density of the traffic behind him and what the result of jamming on his brakes would be in those conditions?
My point is its a big picture and it seems like fewer and fewer can see any of it but whats out their front windshield.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »

Was told today it was someone burning insulation off wire and noi fishers at all which does make sense as it would give off more smoke than just a fire with wood as fuel.

sumasriver

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »

Toxic fumes

RyanB

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2013, 05:32:17 AM »

I have a little different school of thought on this one as I pull on my nomex suit, lol

While I agree with most that there are a lot of awful drivers out there that way overdrive their ability and follow too closely but......some of the ownership must be put on the guy out front that for no other reason than a bit of smoke jammed on his brakes hard enough to cause this chain reaction.
No bigger peeve for me than the idiot out front continuously jamming on his brakes wreaking havoc on the flow of traffic commanding everyones 100% attention so they dont end up in his trunk.
This wasnt a case of something un-expectantly jumping out in front of him, he had to have seen the smoke before getting there, unless he was busy texting?
The news showed the wood from the fire......hardly something large enough to completely black out the highway causing zero visibility?
Did he not realize the density of the traffic behind him and what the result of jamming on his brakes would be in those conditions?
My point is its a big picture and it seems like fewer and fewer can see any of it but whats out their front windshield.

You have to drive defensively.  Assuming that the guy ahead of you is going to drive correctly is putting way too much faith in the average driver, especially in the Lower Mainland.

And what if a deer jumped out in front of the lead driver?  Or he had a medical emergency? 

‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Sr SQ

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »

You didnt read my post, I said this wasnt the case.............
I also said people were driving too closely, my point is everyone needs to own some of this.
A defensive driver wouldnt have jammed on his brakes hard enough to cause this chain reaction......

salmonrook

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »

I heard that it was wire thieves as well, that they had put the wire on top of a mattress to make burn better .The 1st driver couldnt see a thing crossing the bridge ,he stopped and the Greyhound bus rear ended him.Who expects traffic to be at a dead stop on that part of Hwy #1?
  Thats a tricky stop @ 100 kmh depending on your vehicle,driving ability,etc.
 Fortunate no one was injured.
Too bad the Rcmp said on the news it was a fisherman . :(

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »

Perhaps it was wire thieving fishermen.

Suther

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »

Too bad the Rcmp said on the news it was a fisherman . :(

Couldn't agree more. No real fisherman would have made a fire like that in a place like that. Can't fish while building a fire!

sumasriver

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »

I can't see a fisherman getting to the river at first light  and deciding to start the day off with a  huge fire.

Fisherman would be making about 20,000 cast for some chrome. Forget to eat his  snacks. Realize at lunch that they pissed themselves because they were  too busy casting to take a piss.

Found their lunch soaking wet at 4.00 PM  squished and wet in a back pocket...... when they realize they were too busy casting to bother eating.

Time to go home.. Great day on the river.  Who says fishing is addictive ?

quantumleap

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »

I drive for a living and see things that you wouldn't believe. Don't point the finger at lower mainland drivers specifically. Just about any metropolitan area I travel through has it's share of idiots. South and north of the border east and west, it seems to be the same. At 100kph it takes about 540' to stop a standard 18 wheeler. At 120kph that distance increases to over 700'. Trucks pulling multiple trailers the distance increases even more. Thats under ideal conditions!  Keep your distance is the answer! Time the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you using a stationary object at the side of the road. Adjust accordingly.

bcguy

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »

Was told today it was someone burning insulation off wire and noi fishers at all which does make sense as it would give off more smoke than just a fire with wood as fuel.
Yes, a fellow I work with told me his neighbors work trailer (electrical contractor) was stolen the other day, apparently it showed up in Greendale at a rental house, and the thieves had just finished burning the casing off the wire under the bridge, and were in the middle of pulling the decaling off the trailer, and selling off the tools.
Nothing to do with fisherman at all, just a couple jerks stripping wire, and stealing some poor guys ability to make a living.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

fisherforever

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2013, 12:30:35 PM »

Not fishermen, someone burning insulation off of copper wire. http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/smoke-blinded-drivers-1.701563

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »

"RCMP were unavailable for comment on the fire before press time."

Baffling really. ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2013, 07:15:27 PM »

I frequently drive this bridge when it is so foggy there is less than 30 ft vis. and i have yet to see a pile up due to that. So i find it really difficult to belive some fire and some smoke caused a 17 car pile up. It has nothing to do with the anglers who lit a fire nor the smoke as a result . Careless driving causes incidents, and speed also effects the magnitude of the incident. to combine speed with lookielous and just plain bad driving skills on a bridge that is already a problem is a recipie for disaster. im glad i went to the bahamas or i would have been one of those anglers under the bridge trying to keep warm. and facing ridiculous acusations such as this.

Tight lines to all

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »

I frequently drive this bridge when it is so foggy there is less than 30 ft vis. and i have yet to see a pile up due to that. So i find it really difficult to belive some fire and some smoke caused a 17 car pile up. It has nothing to do with the anglers who lit a fire nor the smoke as a result . Careless driving causes incidents, and speed also effects the magnitude of the incident. to combine speed with lookielous and just plain bad driving skills on a bridge that is already a problem is a recipie for disaster. im glad i went to the bahamas or i would have been one of those anglers under the bridge trying to keep warm. and facing ridiculous acusations such as this.
How do you know??? Were you there? Unless you were there to personally eye witness this event, then you don't know if the fire caused enough smoke to blind the drivers driving over the bridge on this day.