Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jericho pier  (Read 14173 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Re: Jericho pier
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »

It seems like surf fishing with long rods and big reels is the way to go in the Jericho area. On another note, I haven't seen anyone using this kind of setup, as rich Point Grey residents with their expensive boats aren't known to be serious about fishing from the beach. 

stormhaven

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »

I've tried a few times from Jericho plenty of bait stealing crabs around .
I would be interested in hearing of any success story's though.

lovethewater

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 09:42:43 PM »

Ok,
I have a salmon success story for you off the Jericho pier.  Two summers ago I took my daughter and nephew out to catch some shiners off the pier.  We were doing well with shiners and the kids were taking turns when low and behold the three year old boy hooks into a coho!  He fought the little guy like a pro and brought it in without issue.
And, when I say little...I mean approx 4 inches.  Ha.  They are out there boys!

Ian Forbes

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »

I was standing on the Jerico pier in September and there wasn't any construction then.. 65 years ago I used to fish off the old one for shiners, perch, flounder and sole. i don't recall anyone ever catching a salmon off it.

The pier is just beyond the Jerico Sailing Club

Dogbreath

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »

It seems like surf fishing with long rods and big reels is the way to go in the Jericho area.
Salmon don't feed much along that shore sometime on the evening flood tide-Coho and Pinks will chase bait closer in but as soon as the ebb is on they head back to deeper water.

The dirty water often found up on the shelf just doesn't appeal to Salmon

On another note, I haven't seen anyone using this kind of setup, as rich Point Grey residents with their expensive boats aren't known to be serious about fishing from the beach.
You don't know what you're talking about-see my comments above re:fishing 5 metre tides and a muddy shelf that regularly dries out.

Secondly you don't know much about boats-have you not seen me/my friends fishing from aluminum car toppers and beat up old lodge boats-even zodiacs all over the bay/harbour?

We don't live in Point Grey either although I have fished on boats out of the yacht club most boats there aren't set up for fishing there isn't even a fish cleaning station @ that marina.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »

A while back some Guy was posting here about the 4 & 5 foot Dogfish he was catching off the beach nearby-once I called him on his lying bull he never came back.

This time of year you can see Chum jumping on the flood but they are too far to cast to.

Where was it? You said nothing, re:"fishing 5 metre tides and a muddy shelf that regularly dries out".

In addition, you should post a photo of yourself so we can easily identify yourself with your beater aluminum Lund, as we really want to follow your every move. 

stormhaven

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 08:35:53 PM »

I'm not sure why every or all most every thread on here degrades into a pissing match.
There is plenty of information we can share such as bait ,techniques  rod and reels best suited for fishing there .
Personaly i was hoping for a little bit more of that .
Well good luck to you all :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:05:57 PM by stormhaven »

Dogbreath

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »

Where was it? You said nothing, re:"fishing 5 metre tides and a muddy shelf that regularly dries out".
All over the deeper parts of the harbour they've been around for at least 6 weeks now a person can tell a Chum by their low sideways jump.

I saw a few this AM when I was cycling along Spanish Banks-don't you check the water regularly?

Probably the Best place to see Chum jumping in late summer into fall is from the pier @ the Royal Yacht Club but since you're not a member you're not allowed in-I know a number of members so am there regularly.

In addition, you should post a photo of yourself so we can easily identify yourself with your beater aluminum Lund, as we really want to follow your every move.
Just look for a small boat with a couple old Guys laughing/having fun and catching fish-lots of us around-the Harbour, Ambleside, the Bell Buoy you name it.

I note in 35 years of living a few blocks from the beach I have never seen anyone fishing from the beach more than once as I said it's simply not worth it as you will soon find out.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »

All over the deeper parts of the harbour they've been around for at least 6 weeks now a person can tell a Chum by their low sideways jump.

I saw a few this AM when I was cycling along Spanish Banks-don't you check the water regularly?

Probably the Best place to see Chum jumping in late summer into fall is from the pier @ the Royal Yacht Club but since you're not a member you're not allowed in-I know a number of members so am there regularly.
Just look for a small boat with a couple old Guys laughing/having fun and catching fish-lots of us around-the Harbour, Ambleside, the Bell Buoy you name it.

I note in 35 years of living a few blocks from the beach I have never seen anyone fishing from the beach more than once as I said it's simply not worth it as you will soon find out.

Seriously? LOL, you need to be a comedian!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 01:00:13 PM by Long_Cast »

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »

Quote from paddy,

I used to fish there as a kid in the 70's before the Jericho beach pier was repaired.  You could only get to it during low tide and had to scramble across rocks and 2 x 4's.  Then you had to fish from the skeleton of the old pier.

It used to be amazing.  Crabbing was phenomenal, and it wasn't unheard of to get a skate, ling or a salmon.  And the flounder...let me tell you about the flounder!

Then in the early 80's, after they repaired the pier, it became a mecca for people who would come down and keep everything they caught.  Totally brutal. 

They have also closed most of the fishing off the rocks in West Vancouver (lighthouse park, whytecliff, piccadilly place), and I believe the reason is the same.  People would leave with everything that they hooked.  Completely brutal.  It was like watching a drag net fishery operation. 

If you want to have some fun catching flounder, go at about an hour before low tide on west Spanish banks and walk out to the navigation markers.  A good cast will take you to a drop off point about 5 meters from the marker.  Best bait is ghost shrimp dug in the mud flats.  Just watch for the incoming tide...

There are also some good beaches to coho fish later in the summer.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32769.15

It's nice to know that there are decent honest users such as paddy on this forum.

BTW, I work at UBC, so I drive past Jericho and Spanish Banks everyday since 2001, and I've seen people fish on the beach more than you could imagine.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 02:15:34 PM »

Alot of them are fishing for smelts during the summer months

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »

I'm not sure why every or all most every thread on here degrades into a pissing match.
There is plenty of information we can share such as bait ,techniques  rod and reels best suited for fishing there .
Personaly i was hoping for a little bit more of that .
Well good luck to you all :)

X2!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2022, 08:12:22 PM »

I wanted to go to Jericho pier tomorrow to fish but looks like the pier is currently broken.. Would I be able to take my 2 person inflatable boat out a bit and fish for dogfish or is that too risky. I'm quite the adventurous type but I have no life jacket but not %100.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

canucksfan233

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2022, 10:18:57 PM »

go off spanish banks, low tide. I used to wade out there on super low tides, got some squid, flounder and crab. Its all sand and doesnt go deep fast.
And when I mean spanish banks, I mean like locarno beach or more west.

canucksfan233

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2022, 10:25:18 PM »

I used to fish off acadia/tower beach, but honestly its all the same out there. There's a small creek that comes out of the forest and I was thinking it might attract fresh water fish, but its honestly barely a trickle in the summer.