Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with bags full of pike minnows and/or chub?  (Read 17779 times)

tlatmdeh

Re: What to do with bags full of pike minnows and/or chub?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »

Asians eat anything that slithers, slides, hops, flops walks, runs, flies or swims. Even if it lies there inert it gets eaten if it is remotely edible. As Rodney says, just because a coarse fish is not what we normally associate with edible fish, they can still be processed many ways and eaten. Look no further than the Asian market for bear and tiger gall bladder, rhino horn and shark fins. There is no concern at all for environmental damage or extinction of animal species.

That is a stereotype that certainly does apply to some, but obviously not all, Asian people. For example, some Koreans eat dogs. Some Chinese eat monkey brains. Some Thais eat frogs. Some Japanese eat frogs. But not ALL Asians eat dogs, monkey brains, or frogs. And they definitely do not eat "anything that slithers, slides, hops, flops walks, runs, flies or swims."

That's like saying "all Black people do drugs, ruining the level of education and social justice in Canada" or "all White people suck at math, or are generally dumb, slowing down the progress of humanity," or "all Americans are fat, lessening the efficiency of work and causing inflation of wages and production costs around the world" which we all know are stereotypes that are certainly not true for all, or are none-sense that came from nowhere.

In direct comparison, just because SOME Europeans eat slugs or foei gras, or intestinal parts of animals, it doesn't justify people who generalize Europeans as people who eat "anything that slithers, slides, hops, flops walks, runs, flies or swims."

Comment about the "environmental damage" and "Extinction of animal species," I'm just in pure awe from your impudence.  Think about why so many countries got industrialized, and why so many forests are destroyed, and why so many animals went extinct. You really think anyone in continent of America or Europe, or in this century, any continent or country, have anything to say about "environmental damage" and "Extinction of animal species"? Environmental problems are humans' fault, not Asians', Americans', or any other single group's fault. We should try to fix these global environmental problems, but not by faulting a specific group. Everyone on this planet has somewhat contributed to the loss of tigers, rhinos, and sharks, while some has contributed more and some has contributed less, just like in other environmental issues.

Go outside, look at people riding cars, hopping on airplanes, using dish washers, using tv's, using sofa(made out of cows, ehem), eating meat, fishing and polluting rivers/lakes, building needless buildings and airports in place of forests, wasting water, etc. Look no further than out your window.

Hmmmmm, I guess no one really cares about the environment or the extinction of animals?? Uhh.. noo.. Just as SOME people eat meat(eating meat is environmentally so much more costly than eating veges or some kind of wheat), fish fish, burn forests, SOME(I repeat, some) Asians eat shark fins, tiger gall bladders, and bear paws and other disgusting stuff that I would never eat. But it does NOT mean that people who do all those things above don't care about the environment AT ALL, it just means that they're valuing whatever they're doing over saving the environment. And this applies to everyone, as you value using your computer and driving cars over saving electricity and walking everywhere without clothes, saving the earth.

So none of the issues or none-sense stereotypes that you have mentioned really should be specified towards any group other than "humans on earth."

I'm not the kind of person who gets mad at these stereotypes or jokes. I make fun of Asians who suck at driving and Asians who eat dogs. But a stereotype is a stereotype, something that we can sometimes feel during our daily lives or hear about and make fun of, but not something that could be supportive of any serious argument. That becomes a serious criticism of a specific group one that is really ludicrous and baseless, and one that should not be endorsed by anyone who is learned enough to know what a "stereotype" is.

Long, fun writing time before bed. Thanks for the opportunity!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:45:54 PM by tlatmdeh »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 06:14:01 AM »

Hundreds of millions of people in Asia are vegan. Asia is a geographic place not a race.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 06:20:20 AM »

I don't live there so I can't tell.

However, I can notice a difference from Eastern European folk, to African, to North American. Usually accents but to satisfy your incoming knee-jerk reaction, the main distinction is skin colour.

Keep doing your thing, but I know when I deal with the police and they ask what race they were, I'm not saying "Human", I'm telling it how it is.

under the traditional racial model:

North African =  Caucasian

European = Caucasian

Mongolian = Oriental

North American Indian = Oriental

Indian Sub-continent = Caucasian

skin colour is not the main means of distinguishing race.

do you even know what 'race' you are?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 07:34:41 AM »

under the traditional racial model:

North African =  Caucasian

European = Caucasian

Mongolian = Oriental

North American Indian = Oriental

Indian Sub-continent = Caucasian

skin colour is not the main means of distinguishing race.

do you even know what 'race' you are?

The "traditional" method is gone, and replaced with one that works on a broad scale of identification.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »

Your all tunas

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »

Your all tunas

or dogfish - they're biting on all the crap floating around!  :P :P :P
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »

How much time do you spend in Asia? I spend 5 months each winter traveling all over the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, and with brief stops in Japan and China. I just go by what I observe. I've been doing that for the past 20 years. Before they were stopped by international pressure, the Japanese commercial fishermen used mile long nets to scour the Pacific ocean of all species before they even reached maturity. That was one of the reasons why our salmonids plummeted in the 1990s.  Myanmar fishermen clean out all the saltwater species all along the Andaman Sea. and right down into Thailand. Rivers in Asia are almost devoid of fish wherever they come close to any civilization. All the reservoirs get cleaned out by electric shockers and gill nets. The shorelines are littered with abandoned nets. The rivers of Nepal are cesspools of floating plastic garbage. It's even worse in India. Philippine commercial fishermen used dynamite to kill every saltwater species they could find, and the coral reefs have barely recovered after international pressure was brought to bear. Those little crabs that are so prevalent on our rocky beaches get killed by the bucket full in Asian beaches. You are lucky to find one or two. Tiny little clams the size of your little fingernail get seined out of the sand and used for cooking. It is only the richness of the soil that allows the land to recover.

Vietnamese did the same thing when they came to Canada during and after the Vietnam war. They scoured the beaches and cleaned out the oyster and clam beds. They just did what they were used to doing back home. They seldom followed our Canadian laws because they were trained by the crooked police in their own country not to trust the law. It is only the second generation Vietnamese that slowly adjusted to Canadian law and order.

Even though it was a generalization, I'll stand behind what I posted. And, I'm not the slightest bit racist. I just tell the truth. Our record in western civilization isn't a whole lot better.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 03:31:28 PM »

No offence taken. It was the following post (no English = no license) that was not appropriate.

Pity about the mess left behind...

Yeup. We saw these kind mess left behind all over the Vedder and they were not the dirty work of some 'no English' folks.  ;D  Not justifying these scums for screwing up public places. But they come in all colours of skin or language background.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:33:58 PM by liketofish »

tlatmdeh

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 04:33:20 PM »

How much time do you spend in Asia? I spend 5 months each winter traveling all over the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, and with brief stops in Japan and China. I just go by what I observe. I've been doing that for the past 20 years. Before they were stopped by international pressure, the Japanese commercial fishermen used mile long nets to scour the Pacific ocean of all species before they even reached maturity. That was one of the reasons why our salmonids plummeted in the 1990s.  Myanmar fishermen clean out all the saltwater species all along the Andaman Sea. and right down into Thailand. Rivers in Asia are almost devoid of fish wherever they come close to any civilization. All the reservoirs get cleaned out by electric shockers and gill nets. The shorelines are littered with abandoned nets. The rivers of Nepal are cesspools of floating plastic garbage. It's even worse in India. Philippine commercial fishermen used dynamite to kill every saltwater species they could find, and the coral reefs have barely recovered after international pressure was brought to bear. Those little crabs that are so prevalent on our rocky beaches get killed by the bucket full in Asian beaches. You are lucky to find one or two. Tiny little clams the size of your little fingernail get seined out of the sand and used for cooking. It is only the richness of the soil that allows the land to recover.

Vietnamese did the same thing when they came to Canada during and after the Vietnam war. They scoured the beaches and cleaned out the oyster and clam beds. They just did what they were used to doing back home. They seldom followed our Canadian laws because they were trained by the crooked police in their own country not to trust the law. It is only the second generation Vietnamese that slowly adjusted to Canadian law and order.

Even though it was a generalization, I'll stand behind what I posted. And, I'm not the slightest bit racist. I just tell the truth. Our record in western civilization isn't a whole lot better.

I'm an Asian but I've lived in Canada/US half of my life. I lived in Korea for 10 years, Japan for 4, China for 3, and I FREQUENTLY visit Singapore, Philipines and other South East Asian countries to meet my friends.

I do not get the point in the argument you're making. The only part I was really upset about was the part that said we basically eat anything. I hope you have something to say about that, because I hope you can explain why your generalization should be stood behind. It'd be funny if you really did stand behind your generalization, because that would allow me to say that "All black people do drugs and don't want to work" or "All white people are dumb and fat," which is really not true at all, and discriminating. It's not "racism," but it's certainly discrimination that has false information as its backup--like Nazis who discriminated rest of the world.

The environmental issue, as I've stated in my previous post, does apply to Asians, but not just Asians, everyone on this planet, which is why you should not mention a specific group and make it look like it's a group's fault. "Look no further than the Asian market for bear and tiger gall bladder, rhino horn and shark fins." This make it seem like only Asians harm the environment and endangered species, which we all know is not even near the truth. Yes, I know Japanese kill a huge number of sharks. I've watched many documentaries and I'm donating monthly to stop it. Yet, same things with different species happen all over the world. For example, poaching lions and elephants--do only Asians have responsibility in this? How about the poachers, the traders, the smugglers, the sellers, the middlemen? And I know for a fact that many of these people, including the ones who buy the poached endangered species, are not Asians.

You added "Our record in western civilization isn't a whole lot better," which makes it seem like you've been saying that the whole time, but the truth is, you only mentioned one group(Asians) specifically in your previous post. As I've said before, you can generalize Asians as people who don't care about the environment, but you can't point to them like it's only our(Asians) fault. Because, uhh.. Looking back at recent history, Wester civilizations have done more harm to earth, if not by a whole lot, than Asians have.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 04:55:20 PM »

The "traditional" method is gone, and replaced with one that works on a broad scale of identification.

which is what?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 05:06:22 PM »

How much time do you spend in Asia? I spend 5 months each winter traveling all over the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, and with brief stops in Japan and China. I just go by what I observe.

That's just a relatively small part of Asia. Other than that I have no problem with what you posted.

My family comes from Eastern Europe , though I was born here. My father fished in Europe and the fish he first caught in Canada all looked fine to him. I remember eating chub, sucker, carp, catfish (brown bullhead) crappie etc. Not a big deal and all very edible. After we learned the local prejudice about trout and salmon versus anything else we stopped eating ' trash fish'.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 05:10:38 PM »

pop,pop,pop, munch, munch ,munch... ::)

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 06:27:21 PM »

TUNA!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Fillibert

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 07:06:26 PM »

BTW most of the posts that are longer than a few lines don't get read... by me at least so if you want to be heard don't write a novel