Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with bags full of pike minnows and/or chub?  (Read 17478 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: What to do with bags full of pike minnows and/or chub?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 07:29:36 AM »

Although I don't know Mr Forbes personally I have lurked the online fishing forums for a long time and have seen many of his fishing and "other" pursuits posts and can vouch that he is definitely NOT a racist.

Actually I have seen many accuse him of being the 180' opposite of racist, with an abundant (some say overly abundant) appreciation of the Asian race. He is a god amongst men and fisherMEN. ;) You go girl!

He used to, I don't know if he still does, spend half the year in Thailand and half in BC. He is speaking from many years of experience living in East Asia so I'm sure he is just stating a fact he sees every day.

Environmental destruction is a color/race blind world issue, it affects us all and proper criticism must NOT be usurped by racial sensitivities. Every race/culture is guilty and every race/culture must be taken to task for it's share of violations. I have seen Ian make plenty of criticism for the folks here at home about our own sins so he is only singling out a particular race here because it is pertinent to this thread.

x2 well said!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »

So what are all the Sturgeon fishermen using.....lures ??  ;D ::)

I think Rodney was talking to the DFO about this to see if it could be rectified because the way they have it written as of now the bait ban would apply to ALL finfish so in reality they were breaking the law using bait in the Fraser even t hough they were targeting PM and chub.

Saw a guy out today using salmon roe and asked what he was fishing for...."salmon salmon" is what he said, I couldn't help but laugh and then tried to tell him the bait ban was in effect, he looked me straight in the eye and said, that okay that okay i catch one already, hope more 3.  :o

It never ends around here I tell ya. :P

edit to add, sorry Rodney, I was typing while you posted
Sorry Bentley but you don't float fish for sturg !If your using roe for sturg does that mean that you are fishing for salmon ? Geesh

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 10:51:21 AM »

WHAO there, little doggies - the post wasn't about race at all - the no English comment I made was simply to state that I tried asking them what they were doing with them (I would have asked how to cook etc. if they spoke English).  My comment simply meant that I tried to ask directly, they couldn't (or wouldn't, I really don't have any idea) tell me, so thought I'd ask here.

Rodney, and any others, I hope there was no offence taken by my initial post, because it certainly wasn't meant to offend, take issue with, or upset anyone!!

James
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »

I just got back from the same spot and had to clean up after them - an entire kitchen garbage back STUFFED full of worm containers, pop cans, A&M bags, shrimp crisp bags, chicken bones, juice boxes and more - leftover from their family BBQ.

Why can't people pick up after themselves?  If I see them again, they will hear from me, whether they understand or not!  I JUST took 2 full size black garbage bags off that beach 5 days ago and you wouldn't know it - not just their mess, EVERYWHERE down the beach.

Maybe I should start wearing my Scout uniform while I pick up in FRONT of people.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 11:13:44 AM »

Maybe I should start wearing my Scout uniform while I pick up in FRONT of people.

Not really sure what that will do. Why not wait for them to go to their vehicles and get pics of their vehicles plates. Then report them and say you would be willing to help in anyway in having charges laid against them.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »

Rodney, and any others, I hope there was no offence taken by my initial post, because it certainly wasn't meant to offend, take issue with, or upset anyone!!

No offence taken. It was the following post (no English = no license) that was not appropriate.

Pity about the mess left behind...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »

So do I, and I am a white guy. My wife, who is asian, does not.

Asia is a continent not a 'race'. The whole idea of race was thought up by dead white men and is long out dated.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »

Asia is a continent not a 'race'. The whole idea of race was thought up by dead white men and is long out dated.

Main Entry: race
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, generation, from Old Italian razza
Date: 1580

c : a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits

Seems relevant.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »

Main Entry: race
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, generation, from Old Italian razza
Date: 1580

c : a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits

Seems relevant.

relevant to what? Tell me what traits Turks, Persians, Kurds, Georgians people from the Indian sub-continent share with with people from South East Asia or Mongolia as opposed what they don't share with people from Europe or Iceland.

1580, France - as I said thought up by dead white guys.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fillibert

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »

So do I, and I am a white guy. My wife, who is asian, does not. Imagine that. Any time anyone here wants to learn more about this outrageous canundrum, PM me and I will be glad to meet you somewhere and personally teach you a lesson on the topic of racial harmony and coarse fish cooking.

I'd confront a racist with a lot more zeal than I would someone who was limiting out on pikeminnows. A LOT more.

There's a thread here somewhere on racism and we concluded that for it to be racist it has to be derogatory and assume that one race is inferior in some way. I do not believe that GENERALIZING falls under that category.

brownmancheng

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »

Although I don't know Mr Forbes personally I have lurked the online fishing forums for a long time and have seen many of his fishing and "other" pursuits posts and can vouch that he is definitely NOT a racist.

Actually I have seen many accuse him of being the 180' opposite of racist, with an abundant (some say overly abundant) appreciation of the Asian race. He is a god amongst men and fisherMEN. ;) You go girl!

He used to, I don't know if he still does, spend half the year in Thailand and half in BC. He is speaking from many years of experience living in East Asia so I'm sure he is just stating a fact he sees every day.

Environmental destruction is a color/race blind world issue, it affects us all and proper criticism must NOT be usurped by racial sensitivities. Every race/culture is guilty and every race/culture must be taken to task for it's share of violations. I have seen Ian make plenty of criticism for the folks here at home about our own sins so he is only singling out a particular race here because it is pertinent to this thread.

Totally off topic and probably immature but...... 

Sounds like somebody has a crush!  :-* :-*

(Sorry couldn't resist, thought this thread needed some humor no matter how juvenile)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 07:47:55 PM »

I just got back from the same spot and had to clean up after them - an entire kitchen garbage back STUFFED full of worm containers, pop cans, A&M bags, shrimp crisp bags, chicken bones, juice boxes and more - leftover from their family BBQ.

Why can't people pick up after themselves?  If I see them again, they will hear from me, whether they understand or not!  I JUST took 2 full size black garbage bags off that beach 5 days ago and you wouldn't know it - not just their mess, EVERYWHERE down the beach.

Were you just below the Poplar Bar?  If so, I have seen that family there before, so you will undoubtedly see them again.  I had to explain to them that what they were catching were Peamouth Chub, not Whitefish.  The folks I saw had some English though.
Not all those who wander are lost

RyanB

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 07:55:27 PM »

I've seen people keeping a lot of very small flounder, in the 4" to 6" range.  They don't go over the limit (eight) but I guess if they catch enough of them they can cut them into chunks for soup.  Definitely too small to filet.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »

Were you just below the Poplar Bar?  If so, I have seen that family there before, so you will undoubtedly see them again.  I had to explain to them that what they were catching were Peamouth Chub, not Whitefish.  The folks I saw had some English though.

Yup, that would be where I was.  dunno if that was them them, or maybe they didn't want to hear what you already told them? LOL

Next time explain to them to CLEAN UP THEIR CRAP!  and if you see which vehicle they are in, picture time...

TheFishingLad

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 10:10:59 PM »

relevant to what? Tell me what traits Turks, Persians, Kurds, Georgians people from the Indian sub-continent share with with people from South East Asia or Mongolia as opposed what they don't share with people from Europe or Iceland.

1580, France - as I said thought up by dead white guys.

I don't live there so I can't tell.

However, I can notice a difference from Eastern European folk, to African, to North American. Usually accents but to satisfy your incoming knee-jerk reaction, the main distinction is skin colour.

Keep doing your thing, but I know when I deal with the police and they ask what race they were, I'm not saying "Human", I'm telling it how it is.