Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ISA Virus 101  (Read 9901 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: ISA Virus 101
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »

Feel free to go over the references I posted to find how I manipulated Twyla's theories, AF.  Most of the information is contained in the Cohen Final Report - a report based on the findings from an independent party (Justice Cohen).  Funny how farm critics pushed so hard for a judicial inquiry, but cannot accept the findings or recommendations from an independent party.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »

http://www.huffstrategy.com/MediaManager/release/Salmon-Confidential/3-7-13/One-of-Eastern-Canadas-leading-scientists-and-his-lab-stripped-of/2825.html

In an interview published November 23, 2012 in the Globe and Mail, Dr. Kibenge commented, “What they are doing here is essentially punishing me for having testified at the Cohen Commission and trying to suppress the findings. It’s an attack on my credibility.........”

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »

http://www.cheknews.ca/?bckey=AQ~~%2CAAAA4mHNTzE~%2CejlzBnGUUKY1gXVPwEwEepl35Y795rND&bclid=975107450001&bctid=2488225363001

This was the same lab that was the first to discover ISAv in Chile, before the experts and feedlots realized they had it. When ISA broke out it cost the industry well over $2 billion dollars. Fortunately they do not have wild salmon....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:41:11 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 12:18:54 PM »

The difference between the Chile situation and here is that in 2007, when Chile had a rapidly progressing disease outbreak that was killing many farmed fish in the pens, Kibenge was able to identify it and the identification was confirmed by both multiple tests and deteriorating conditions on the farms.

Here, prior to 2011 and Kibenge's testing, there was no disease outbreak. In 2011, subsequent to Kibenge claiming positive results, there was no disease outbreak and in 2013, there still is no disease outbreak. The fish health monitoring program has tested for ISA for many years and has found no sign of it. Subsequent testing of farmed and wild stocks for signs of the virus has turned up no sign of it and testing for it in Washington has turned up no sign of it.

When Kibenge identified it here even though no-one else was or has been able to confirm it, his lab protocols were audited not once, but twice to confirm the accuracy of his implementation of the required testing protocols, an obvious response given the situation. In both audits, his implementations of the required protocols were found to be inadequate with the potential to lead to false results.

After the first audit, rather than tighten up on his compliance with the required protocols in order to meet the specified standards required of an OIE certified lab, Kibenge claimed harassment and didn't improve his compliance with the requirements. As a consequence, after failing the second audit to measure his improvement in compliance with the required OIE protocols his certification was stripped, once again, an obvious response due to the critical and in Kibenge's case, unfulfilled, need for accuracy and reliability in testing.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »

Surely you're not suggesting Kibenge has no idea what he is doing and the Chile discovery was pure dumb luck. That must mean that his OIE certification was also made in error.....   :o

Interesting that it took more than 5 years and his testimony at the Cohen commission to get the CFIA to do an "independent" analysis of his lab. CFIA backlog?? or perhaps just orders from on high, telling CFIA to shut him up when he had test results that the feedlot industry didn't want to hear...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:32:08 PM by alwaysfishn »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »

I'm not making suggestions. I made a very specific statement. You can read it in the post directly above your's.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »

http://www.alive.com/articles/view/17618/canadian_fish_farming

"Last February we received news of a major epidemic of sockeye flu. As a result, millions of fish were culled," she remembers. "Were it not for a court injunction, those fish would have been dumped into the ocean." As it was, they went to a landfill.

So there you go it was some bug that made them do humpty dumpty.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/vancouver-island-salmon-farm-accused-of-putting-diseased-fish-in-ocean-pens-1.174114

Margot Venton, Ecojustice staff lawyer, said the transfer of Atlantic salmon with piscine reovirus (PRV) from the hatchery to a Marine Harvest Canada ocean net pen appears to have violated federal law.

Once again just some other bug. Read my lips "NOT ISA". Nothing to worry about

Pretty sure those dirty fish have bugs we don't even have tests for yet.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 11:37:14 PM »

Sockeye flu?  Yeah, "some bug" with not many specifics from the Ms Hunter.  What fish were culled - Atlantic Salmon?  Is she referring to IHN?  Too late this evening to go over IHN all over again.  PRV has been beaten to death.  Morton is making the assumption the fish are diseased if they have PRV.  On one hand she says PRV is believed to cause HSMI and on the other she basically implies that the farmed fish with PRV are diseased.  What we know about PRV is that it is found in healthy and unhealthy fish, wild and farmed; and fish with lesions and fish without lesions.  All that literature has already been posted in another thread which included literature used in Ms Morton's own blog.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »

Hey all I'm saying is that if they were raising those dirty fish in a water reservoir that you drank from, you would be chugging beer instead. ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »

Surely you're not suggesting Kibenge has no idea what he is doing and the Chile discovery was pure dumb luck. That must mean that his OIE certification was also made in error.....   :o

Interesting that it took more than 5 years and his testimony at the Cohen commission to get the CFIA to do an "independent" analysis of his lab. CFIA backlog?? or perhaps just orders from on high, telling CFIA to shut him up when he had test results that the feedlot industry didn't want to hear...

Actually, having thought about it a bit, I will make one suggestion about Kibenge.

Now that he has become just more collateral damage in her path, I'll bet he is seriously regretting the day he ever agreed to do any work for Morton.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »

Actually, having thought about it a bit, I will make one suggestion about Kibenge.

Now that he has become just more collateral damage in her path, I'll bet he is seriously regretting the day he ever agreed to do any work for Morton.

I'm sure that someone with Dr Kibenge's qualifications and principals would have reported the results he found regardless of where the samples came from. I admire him for reporting what he found in spite of likely knowing he would be black listed by the CFIA.

I believe you have hit the nail on the head as to why few others in the industry are willing to put the truth above their livelihood. With this type of gestapo action they have muzzled anyone in the industry from speaking the truth.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 01:49:42 PM »

Kibenge got caught doing substandard work that was widely misrepresented by Morton and then got dragged by her into the controversy about the misrepresentation that resulted from her announcement in the US that ISA was found in BC salmon.

The damage to his reputation isn't inconsequential.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »

Hey all I'm saying is that if they were raising those dirty fish in a water reservoir that you drank from, you would be chugging beer instead. ;D

I would still opt for pork.

dnibbles

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »

With this type of gestapo action they have muzzled anyone in the industry from speaking the truth.

And there it is!!!!!!
#GodwinsLaw