Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sooke, June 24th 2013  (Read 775 times)

deepcovehooker

Sooke, June 24th 2013
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:34:42 AM »

Got up early Monday morning to catch the 7:00 am ferry to the Island.

Arrived in Sooke about 10:30 were it was cold and windy but no rain.  We were scheduled for a 1:00 pm expedition.  Talked to the captain about 12:30 who said to dress warm as it was quite windy and cold but not to big a chop.  Just before 1:00 we took off heading out about 20 minutes to reach Otter Point.  As we arrived at Otter the wind died off and the sun shone through the clouds. 

Fished for about 1/2 hour before the first hit, it was on my rod.  It was a 19 lbs spring that was able to get into the strong current and nearly stripped off most of my line.   After much hard reeling and a few more runs we bonked the fish.

Had to return a few coho as they were wild but did get 2 hatcheries of about 3 to 4 pounds.

My buddy picked up a 21 lbs spring a little latter in the day.

Fished for about 4 1/2 hours and ended up with 4 springs and 2 coho in the boat with released of another 2 springs and 2 wild coho.   When we arrived back at the dock another boat coming in had actually landed 2 pink of about 6 pounds, first of the year I suspect.

Fishing in Juan de Fuca is much more comfortable that being out on the pacific.

We used 2 Reel Charters out of Sooke the owner Ron our guide was very knowledgeable of the area and gave us a very enjoyable trip.  I would recommend him to anyone.