Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning combo  (Read 5396 times)

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
Spinning combo
« on: May 28, 2004, 01:34:32 PM »

Hi all. I need some help. I've decided to purchase a spinning combo, and I'm interested in any suggestions you all may have. The rod will primarily be used by my wife and father and law when he visits from Alberta.

It will be used for salmon fishing, so that should be taken into consideration. Any suggestions on reels would also be appreciated. I'm looking to save a few bucks and would prefer to buy a combo, but I will look a separates as well. $200 + tax  is what I'm looking at paying.

Also, if you know of any specials right now, or any particular tackle shops with good friendly service, let me know. Thanks for your help.

Randog

Re:Spinning combo
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 02:24:33 PM »

Neat Freak,

Last year I purchased a 10 1/2' Thophy XLTCS2105C spinning rod with a Shimano AX500s spinning reel for Mrs. Randog. Awsom combo. She has hooked Coho, Pinks, Sockeye, Chums and some big Springs on it with no problem.

I got the combo from Hubs sports in Abbotsford, I think for less that $200.00

Definetly worth looking at.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/us/en/fishing/products/reels/reels_spinning/ax.html;jsessionid=a49cb79e-1f81-cb44-849c-2398f7f320ac
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 02:25:35 PM by Randog »

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 02:55:25 PM »

200 dollars can get you a very nice set up,  if your going after salmons, hmm i sugest anything from a 8-9 foot rod, or even 10. depending on you really.  as for the spinning reel, you want a hi-compasity reel that can store enought line for the energy charged salmon :) for both of these items, i sugest shimano or daiwa.  personaly i enjoy using a conventional/casting setup for salmon because is much easier for me to hoist the fish in.

a great store for asorted fishing equipment is berry's bait and tackle. they have excellent services and a huge selection, but you will most likey find the cheapest price in army & navy... now i know what your thinking *well actualy i dont but you might think this way lol* you might think army & navy sell not so hi-end equipment, but infact sometimes you can find the same item sold at both places for about 20$ cheaper or more!  

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 03:30:14 PM »

I will second Berry's.  You might try the Buy and Sell either on this site or Fishbc.com