Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder river oct 16  (Read 4703 times)

KLX

Vedder river oct 16
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:38:32 PM »

shoulder to shoulder combact fishing from the bridge up as high as you can drive

devoid of grace or anything enjoyable

overharvest snag fest without the least discretion

2 CO's came by and caught some people keeping wild cohos and others waaaayy over their limit

oh, did i mention the guys who see you hook a fish then come right up beside you to start casting? when i say right beside, not the usual 10 feet away that seems to be normal on this river, but literally right beside you.

water clarity optimal

air temp 14deg at 2pm

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder river oct 16
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:45:35 PM »

I sure hope you are joking?   ???

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »

I sure hope you are joking?   ???

I don't think he is joking, but I am sure he is referring to those sections of the river visible and easily accessible from the road. It's always been like that in October, especially after the big rains.
What I am confused about is the date. It seems he is referring to yesterday (the 16th), not today.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »

Today is the 17th and the river was mud on the 16th.

KLX

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »

nothing confusing about the date it was yesterday the 16th as it states in title. river was not quite chocolate above the bridge and by noon there was 24" of vis after it dropped.
by bridge i mean the bailey bridge below the rapids.

i just got a call from my buddy and the good news is the section we were fishing was road blocked after i left around 215pm and the CO's and rcmp did a sweep of the whole area after everyone 'thought' they left the first time. they busted all these clowns, confiscated a few vehicles and tons of gear...i am very glad to hear this.

turns out they have undercover fishermen on the river during the fall and they have video surveillance in popular areas...

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:15:06 PM by KLX »

Sinaran

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »

nothing confusing about the date it was yesterday the 16th as it states in title. river was not quite chocolate above the bridge and by noon there was 24" of vis after it dropped.
by bridge i mean the bailey bridge below the rapids.

i just got a call from my buddy and the good news is the section we were fishing was road blocked after i left around 215pm and the CO's and rcmp did a sweep of the whole area after everyone 'thought' they left the first time. they busted all these clowns, confiscated a few vehicles and tons of gear...i am very glad to hear this.

turns out they have undercover fishermen on the river during the fall and they have video surveillance in popular areas...

great to hear that!!! action like this is way overdue, and i am glad it finally happened.  we took one back from the clowns! :-*
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »

My guess is you saw Fishery Officers, not CO's (Conservation Officers).  There are a few very dedicated and serious FO's in Chilliwack now - kudos to them as they are making a difference!  FO's wear green and beige, CO's wear blue.  All CO vehicles in Chilliwack are blue and the most dedicated FO drives a green, readily identified pickup.

anorden

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 05:15:04 PM »

Would be surprised if they did... given how few fisheries officers there unfortunately are in the whole LM, and two of them were wearing uniform and checking licenses at the time...

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »

If confirmed, that's the best fishing-related news I've heard in a long time. The disrespect for the resource had become rampant and it was time for the Province to step up. I myself have seen a lot more CO presence everywhere on the Vedder. A had COs come down on two clowns after I called them in for going over their limit. Each guy had at least half a dozen fish each in the bushes (all salmon!) and they were still fishing. How greedy is that? When I called them on that, they just told me to mind my own business and keep walking. Walk I did, but not without reporting them. For the record, they were Caucasians, with no foreign accent whatsoever.
The other day COs even confiscated all the snagging gear from FN snaggers at the reserve. I learned that day that Indians are actually NOT allowed to use treble hooks and snag fish. They must angle just like any one of us when they use a rod and a reel. Their right is to fish without a license and/or tags. I had mistakenly believed that they could legally snag fish.

Anyway, nice to see more enforcement out there...long time overdue.  :)

KLX

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »

Correction, yes they were FO's not CO's. Thanks for explaining the difference.

The reason we found this out is my buddy took the fo's card and called her to follow up today. So this is first hand info, the accuracy of which hopefully can be trusted.

She also said the vedder has/is going to get a lot more scrutiny starting this past year.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »

Why were you fishing there in the first place? Its just a big floss fest for hoes. Its not called the bailey bridge btw.
The Bigger The Better!

prairiefire

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 09:10:55 PM »

turns out they have undercover fishermen on the river during the fall

I was on the river on the 16th and an old timer thought I was DFO.  :D
I was wearing green and beige.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

mark

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »

I love to hear law breakers get busted , maybe they will think next time they go out on the river. Fishing is all about being in the outdoors and enjoying it and taking it all in. Some people don't understand rules are set in place for a good reason. Conservation for tomorrow.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »

Awesome to hear. WAY too may yahoos out on the river.

Good to have the native stuff clarified too. Ran into one guy, who claimed he was a status native, a few weeks ago and was snagging like mad and just saying "that's indian fishing." I promptly left.

Tom

noobfisher

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 10:47:16 PM »

Nice work dfo, we appreciate the enforcement.  Every bit helps, we need to keep reporting violations we see on the rivers so we can keep poachers and the like away for people who enjoy the sport of fishing.