Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Feedlots using night lights to attract wild fish?  (Read 24449 times)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
Re: Salmon Feedlots using night lights to attract wild fish?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 11:23:29 PM »

And get your terminology right too. I thought something was weird when you used the term Pit Lamping, but then I forgot your anti and look for anything..http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/100years/1905/early_years.html
Take the T out of Morton.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 11:42:35 PM »

Still refusing to use a little logic......

The fact that they did not catch any salmonoids in the net only proves there were none in the area at the time the tests were taken.

The study was conducted near Gilford Island which is well away from any salmon migratory route and because the time period was between early February and the middle of April there wouldn't have been any sockeye present as they don't normally start migrating till May.

Admit it, your argument that no salmonoids were caught, and suggesting that proves that feedlot lights don't attract wild salmonoids, is one of the silliest arguments you've ever put forward....   ::)  ::)

What I provided was a summary of the actual scientific study. Why don't you read the entire 10 page report before commenting any further....

From the study:

Chum salmon were caught only on lit nights, but the results are not statistically significant due to the small number of catches containing them.

Pink and chum salmon fry are most attracted to light levels to which they are previously adapted (reviewed in Feist & Anderson 1991, Simenstad et al. 1999). It follows that low catches of chum salmon would occur, for chum salmon straying into the lit zone after dusk would be repelled by the contrast between the dark (to which they would be currently adapted) and the bright artificial light.

Regardless of your personal conclusions, the authors report statistically insignificant catches of salmon. They do, however, make the following suggestion that you would be well advised to pay attention to:

These findings agree with others that suggest continuous lighting in marine areas as well as terrestrial systems (Rich & Longcore 2006 and references therein) constitutes an attractive influence over various organisms. Care must be taken when extrapolating these results to salmon farms. The present study used only one non-farm sample site and thus cannot control for different environmental factors at different locations, nor can it predict wild fish and invertebrate behaviour around artificial lights in conjunction with farms themselves.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »

It's good to see you took some time to read the entire report before commenting further.....

As you have noted the lights attract virtually every fish that is in the area including salmon. I did notice how you failed to acknowledge the fact that the study was conducted when no sockeye were in the area.

So considering the feedlots use lights to attract fish so that they can use this free feed to raise their penned salmon, how much free product are they pulling out of the ocean that could be used to feed the wild salmon?

Most of us thought that these pens were just pollution and disease generators but we now see that they are raping and pillaging the feed fish and salmonoids as well by baiting them with light.....   Shameful really!  :o
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 07:44:15 AM »

Great bit of information, and one that can be hard to get your maw around if you don't understand pit lamping. Thanks AF but the dinos are going to challenge that the ice age existed, over recognizing repercussions of pit lamping for the sake of making a buck. Your worth 10 Annies though in terms of putting up with their personal attacks against your physical appearance and other kinds of low blow comments.

I thought pit lamping was illegal in BC but I guess the dirty little open pen fish farmer weirdos have found a new angle to it. Shame and fail to them. :-[

It's another dirty little secret these feedlots don't want the public to know, isn't it.

As far as the personal comments, it seems par for the course. When they realize someone has discovered one of their dirty little secrets, they can't defend it so a select few of the pro-feedlot boys respond with the personal attacks. In this one Absolon is digging himself a deeper hole by trying to defend this despicable practice of "pit lamping". He should probably just refrain from commenting like some of the other pro-feedlot boys. Even AnnieP is smart enough to avoid commenting on this feedlot practice.

Just a side note, I read somewhere else that Canada is the only country that uses the pit lamping practice. I wonder if it's because the fish feedlots have killed all the sea life around them in other parts of the world and there is no point in pit lamping, because there are no feed fish left to attract.  ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 08:11:18 AM »

Studies have been done on the feedlot use of lights...  and the feedlots gain huge benefits because the fish grow faster. (Likely because they are eating better)

"A simple cost analysis of the use of light treatment equipment was conducted to obtain an estimate of the financial gains to farmers, should they employ this treatment method on their farms. The cost of purchasing, wiring and operating the lights was less than $5,000 per cage. Based on November results for each 70 m sea cage, the potential net financial would be greater than $100,000 per farm."

No surprise given the savings in feed as a result of the penned salmon catching their own......

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 08:39:05 AM »

So mister saver of wild salmon besides posting the crap you do on here what are you personally doing to actually help preserve wild salmon? Me as posted in another forum I gave up fishing for slamon in 2009, strictly a still water guy now. Chris is doing his own thing and I admire him for that and all he's involved in so again besides the garbage you post here what are you and that sidekick of yours doing besides nothing.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »

So mister saver of wild salmon besides posting the crap you do on here what are you personally doing to actually help preserve wild salmon? Me as posted in another forum I gave up fishing for slamon in 2009, strictly a still water guy now. Chris is doing his own thing and I admire him for that and all he's involved in so again besides the garbage you post here what are you and that sidekick of yours doing besides nothing.

I'm trying to get the feedlots out of the ocean.....   you know "remove a fish pen, save 10,000 wild salmon"   :D

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »

So in other words nothing... ;D.....

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »

So in other words nothing... ;D.....

Change seldom happens unless people are made aware of the need for change....

Take lighting in the feedlot business.... Are you aware that inspite of the obvious harm night lighting is doing to the ocean environment, DFO has not authorized any studies on the issue and there is no mandatory feedlot reporting on the use of lighting.

Makes you wonder what other harm these feedlots are inflicting, and we are not even aware of them...

jacked55

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 09:27:48 AM »

I do not claim to be an expert on the issue of fish farms by any means, but i wanted to make a rookie comment on here.
I think that despite both sides banter back and forth, sometimes good, sometimes borderline disrespectful, i have learned alot of information about the topic while reading through all the posts.
I can honestly say, that despite my personal opinions or beliefs on the subject, i feel as though i can make a more educated decision on whether to be pro or anti whereas before i would simply know that fish farms where bad because i saw it in the newspaper.
I also learned a valuable lesson this summer when i went to Tofino for a family vacation in which i met a group of people who were employed by one of the fish farms. I spent some time talking to them about their opinions on the subject and that was very informative.
Regardless, i just wanted to say thanks for the educational lessons on the subject, keep em coming guys.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 09:47:01 AM »

I do not claim to be an expert on the issue of fish farms by any means, but i wanted to make a rookie comment on here.
I think that despite both sides banter back and forth, sometimes good, sometimes borderline disrespectful, i have learned alot of information about the topic while reading through all the posts.
I can honestly say, that despite my personal opinions or beliefs on the subject, i feel as though i can make a more educated decision on whether to be pro or anti whereas before i would simply know that fish farms where bad because i saw it in the newspaper.
I also learned a valuable lesson this summer when i went to Tofino for a family vacation in which i met a group of people who were employed by one of the fish farms. I spent some time talking to them about their opinions on the subject and that was very informative.
Regardless, i just wanted to say thanks for the educational lessons on the subject, keep em coming guys.

Appreciate your comments!

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »

I am quite certain that the government moniters the fishs internal contents.  So dispute your claim af,  and you dramatic presintation on this one I am confident that you are incorrect once again. I will dig up some data for you even though you may fall back on a conspiracy theory afterwards.

Jack55 ,  what is your take on it then.  This whole salmon farming thing in bc?
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »

It's interesting to note that the feedlot pens all use green lights.

I wondered about this and after a little googling, I learned that the reason green light is so effective for attracting fish is that green light travels furthest in the water so it's most effective in attracting fish.

Also it's interesting to note that all marine bio luminescent creatures are bluish-green in color. Over the last five years the popularity of green light fishing has soared in saltwater and freshwater circles.

It's impossible to believe that it's a coincidence that the feedlots are using the blue green colored light bulbs.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »

I am quite certain that the government moniters the fishs internal contents.  So dispute your claim af,  and you dramatic presintation on this one I am confident that you are incorrect once again. I will dig up some data for you even though you may fall back on a conspiracy theory afterwards.

I look forward to seeing some of your "data".

I read a study once (can't find it now) that suggested the reason that escaped feedlot fish are able to successfully colonize is because they are already quite experienced at catching wild fish. It's easy to appreciate, given that the lights are attracting wild fish to the pens.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »

Ya,  I'll try to get something for you. In the meanwhile you keep on giviner' like you have the silver bullet.  You are practicing a common tactic here where you put out your information as fact, hard and fast, and when contradictory information arrives we start turning over rocks looking for you but you will be gone.  When you do turn up you will just start another topic and be unwilling to respond to the last one.
  There is not much of a discussion here with your used car sales approach. 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.