Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3.8 Meter Sturgeon  (Read 5982 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
3.8 Meter Sturgeon
« on: July 20, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/twelve-foot-long-white-sturgeon-caught-in-bc-river-by-british-tourists/article4431158/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8zeWtyoASKs

Three years ago, British couple Michael and Margaret Snell travelled to the Vancouver area for a fishing trip and thought they hit the jackpot, reeling in a sturgeon that was 1.5 metres.

But that trophy pales in comparison to the massive fish the retired couple caught in the Fraser River during a return trip this week, hauling a white sturgeon out of the water that measured nearly four metres and weighed half a tonne — believed to be one of the largest fish every caught for sport in North America.

The couple, from Salisbury, England, set out onto the Fraser River from Chilliwack, east of Vancouver, on Monday.

Michael Snell, 65, said he saw his rod tip, but he struggled with his catch for nearly 45 minutes before he actually saw the fish surface.

It was 3.8 metres long.

“We just saw a tail fin come up, then a bit later we saw a middle fin, and eventually, as it got tired, we saw the head come out as well,” he said in an interview on Friday.

“We realized the sheer length of this fish — next to the boat, it’s nearly as big as the boat.”

The couple’s guide, Dean Werk, said he knew right away Snell had caught something huge. Snell’s wife, Margaret, had to hold on to his harness to keep him from being pulled into the river.

“(The fish) peeled off 200 yards of line on its first run without even a blink,” said Werk. “We had to chase it down, we had to stay close to it, and Michael was having to work the fish back up, trying to keep it near the surface.”

The couple and their guide eventually brought the white sturgeon onto the shore.

Once Werk was in the water with the fish, he noticed the animal wasn’t tagged, indicating it may never have been caught before.

Werk estimated the sturgeon was at least 100 years old, weighing roughly 500 kilograms. Based on a database kept by the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society, Werk said it could be the largest fish ever caught in the continent.

They released the sturgeon back into the river, but not before snapping some photos with it.

Snell, who has been fishing since he was a little boy, said it took several days for the size of his catch to sink in.

“I could only get my arms halfway around the (sturgeon’s) head,” he said. “It’s so big, like a wine barrel or a 50-gallon oil drum.”

“Here I am, holding a dinosaur, virtually. You watch it breathe, watch it blow. ... You just marvel at this fish.”
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:44:10 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

crazypop

Re: 3.8 Meter Sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »

Now thats a fish!!!

Zanna

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »

That's awesome  ;D

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »

so what did it measure to the fork?  ::)
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »

I dare say they'll be making a return trip in the next couple years. Beautiful fish !!!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »

so what did it measure to the fork?  ::)
I emailed the guide and asked when the story first broke. No response.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 03:52:54 PM »

Various news reports put the fish at 12 feet, 4 inches.

Was done by an experienced guide so he should know how to measure properly.

http://greatriverfishing.com/world-record-sturgeon-fraser-river/
http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/UPDATE+foot+sturgeon+caught+near+Chilliwack+close+record/6965415/story.html

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »

Various news reports put the fish at 12 feet, 4 inches.

Was done by an experienced guide so he should know how to measure properly.

http://greatriverfishing.com/world-record-sturgeon-fraser-river/
http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/UPDATE+foot+sturgeon+caught+near+Chilliwack+close+record/6965415/story.html

hmm other guides I know are saying to the fork it was tagged and recorded around 11ft, the 12'4 was nose to tip
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

LP89CG

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »

Regardless, thats a huge fish.

work2fish

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »

I heard it was 11'1" to the fork, so it puts it around the 4th or 5th largest tagged sturgeon, not the biggest as suggested in the article.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:26:19 AM »

There is an immense difference between 11'1" and 12'4". 11'1' is still a huge fish but the guide should never have measured to the end of the tail. I guess the end of tail measure is a marketing number  ???

work2fish

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:52:38 PM »

There is an immense difference between 11'1" and 12'4". 11'1' is still a huge fish but the guide should never have measured to the end of the tail. I guess the end of tail measure is a marketing number  ???

Your guess is as good as mine on why, could be as simple as 12'4" sounded better to the reporter that didn't have a clue, since they also said it was the biggest sport caught...which it wasn't since there have been a few tagged that were bigger in recent history.  I think this one at 11'4" is still the biggest tagged, and to me it does look a little more than 3 inches bigger than the 11'1", but could just be the camera angle. http://www.bcfishtours.ca/-Whale5.jpg

It's still a fish of a lifetime though.  I hope they tipped their guide well ;)