Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What part of NO is not understood?  (Read 5624 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
http://

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: What part of NO is not understood?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:33:21 AM »

“We have a lot of people unemployed and we need the jobs,” said Cobb.

The developer, Taseko Mines Ltd. Of Vancouver, has projected the mine will create 400 jobs.

What good is jobs if we destroy the environment in the process of creating these jobs. :(

JPW

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:47:05 AM »

Unbelievable!  How can anyone think this is acceptable in any way!  I can't believe how matter of fact they juxtapose that the lake and surrounding streams will be ruined, but look at all those lovely jobs!   :-\

StillAqua

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »

So suddenly Taseko Mines has "discovered" it didn't actually need to drain Fish Lake and use it for a tailings dump? It shows you the base attitude that the mining industry has to the environment and why maintaining a strong and independent environmental assessment process is critical. Unfortunately, with all the cuts to the CEAA and Environment Canada that Harper is making and the squashing of the provincial process by Campbell and Clark, those days may be gone.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »

So suddenly Taseko Mines has "discovered" it didn't actually need to drain Fish Lake and use it for a tailings dump? It shows you the base attitude that the mining industry has to the environment and why maintaining a strong and independent environmental assessment process is critical. Unfortunately, with all the cuts to the CEAA and Environment Canada that Harper is making and the squashing of the provincial process by Campbell and Clark, those days may be gone.

Kinda reminds me of the open net fish farming business......   ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »

If you want to hear the proponent talk about this he was on CBC radio today, CBC Almanac starting around 12:10.
It should be on the archives shortly.

bcguy

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 08:40:46 AM »

I fully support resource development, but not at a cost to our environment, and leaving the poisoning behind for our children and grand children to clean up. >:(
Do we want to be seen as the generation willing to destroy our land and water all in the name of a few dollars. You can't eat money, or live on poisoned land.

"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »

I fully support resource development, but not at a cost to our environment

Impossible. You can't exploit resources without having some impact on the environment. Taseko claims they no longer need to use fish lake because the price of gold has gone up since their last proposal. This gives them more money to spend on treatment of the tailings, allowing them to use the smaller holding lake near by.

I am not familiar with the area and how environmentally sensitive it is but at some point the value of building the mine will out weigh the value of the environment it will destroy. It will happen at some point.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 02:55:28 PM »

How much of the environment we will allow businesses to exploit is not a black and white decision. Yes exploiting resources has an effect on the environment, however governments are willing to sacrifice the environment if they believe the economic benefits are there. However they seem to allow these projects to go ahead as long as the government party of the day is not effected politically.

An example of this is the Keystone oil pipeline from Alberta to the US. It was put on hold by Obama last week till after next years Presidential elections because he felt it could affect his chances at re-election. Environmental studies had already given the project the go ahead.

The salmon farms on the coast probably fall under the same "rules".

The point is if you are worried about how something might affect the environment, make a lot of noise about it and the government of the day may listen......   or not.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

bcguy

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 05:27:18 AM »

I am not familiar with the area and how environmentally sensitive it is but at some point the value of building the mine will out weigh the value of the environment it will destroy. It will happen at some point.
So it comes down to money? Sorry, not a lesson I would teach my children. Business does NOT have the ability to regulate its self and capital has no conscience, especially foreign capital. IF they were able to contain the tailings so no surrounding area was effected, then and only then should this mine be allowed to go ahead. A common cry among business...but theres NOT enough money in it if we have to take care of the environment.
There is a happy balance for sure, on one side there is China, who exploits it people, and environment, and Canada who is slowly getting it (albeit only due to increased public exposure and pressure) and looking real hard at the cost of mining. How long and how much to clean up Brittania Beach?
I wonder how long before the Cache Creek dumpsite leaches, oh right...it already is
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:15:50 AM by bcguy »
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »

What it boils down too is what is acceptable and reasonable disturbance by mining for the common good, kinda subjective answer? We need mines, we also need to be innovative in minimising the the impact of mining on the environment. We would be hypocrites if we deny all, but are also happy to use the products that are mined daily somewhere else, and often with little or no enviromental considerations. Not saying it should go ahead but.. hear them out first.
Don't forget, the FN have a big say also, but rumour has it that there may be some sort of agreement between the miners and FN, if so that will be a significant weight on the balances.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:36:09 AM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

bcguy

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »

What it boils down too is what is acceptable and reasonable disturbance by mining for the common good, kinda subjective answer? We need mines, we also need to be innovative in minimising the the impact of mining on the environment. We would be hypocrites if we deny all, but are also happy to use the products that are mined daily somewhere else, and often with little or no enviromental considerations. Not saying it should go ahead but.. hear them out first.
Don't forget, the FN have a big say also, but rumour has it that there may be some sort of agreement between the miners and FN, if so that will be a significant weight on the balances.

My bet is they have been promised some money or job positions.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »

My bet is they have been promised some money or job positions.
This is going to be interesting to see how it all unfolds.  The Ts’ilquotin National Government (TNG, the voice of the Chilcotin FN bands) are hard and tough negotiators and I believe them when they say they want to protect their land.  Anyone who has seen this country and worked with these people understands why.  If this mine fails to start up it will be because of the political savvy of the TNG.
But I think this mine will happen; its economic implications for the Williams Lake area and the TNG are too huge to ignore.   For years the TNG has scorned major development projects in their territory but demographics change; when you have seen the poverty and poor living conditions on reserves like Stone, Anaham, Toosey,  I tend to think they believe it's their time for a share of this pie.
Gonna be a tough fight though.

bcguy

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 05:18:34 PM »

This is going to be interesting to see how it all unfolds.  The Ts’ilquotin National Government (TNG, the voice of the Chilcotin FN bands) are hard and tough negotiators and I believe them when they say they want to protect their land.  Anyone who has seen this country and worked with these people understands why.  If this mine fails to start up it will be because of the political savvy of the TNG.
But I think this mine will happen; its economic implications for the Williams Lake area and the TNG are too huge to ignore.   For years the TNG has scorned major development projects in their territory but demographics change; when you have seen the poverty and poor living conditions on reserves like Stone, Anaham, Toosey,  I tend to think they believe it's their time for a share of this pie.
Gonna be a tough fight though.
I agree, I have lived in PG, and spend a fair amount of time through Quesnel, and west out to Nazko, have seen and am familiar with the poverty through a good part of the region in FN communities. I wouldn't blame them in the least, I just hope that the public expectation of tight environmental restrictions arent loosened, when all parties come to an agreement.