Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Farms spreading Salmon Leukemia to wild salmon......  (Read 3867 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Fish Farms spreading Salmon Leukemia to wild salmon......
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:34:22 AM »

Maybe sea lice is the least of our worries.....

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/

A crucial powerpoint by Dr. Miller was made public at this hearing titled “Epidemic of a novel, cancer-causing viral disease may be associated with wild salmon decline in BC.” (Download Miller powerpoint CAN185457) It suggests the genomic signature appears to be a retrovirus, that over 75% of Fraser sockeye are infected in some years and these infected fish were 16 times more likely to die than the healthy sockeye.  Click on the link in the above article to read Dr Millers report.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:37:49 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

mykisscrazy

Re: Fish Farms spreading Salmon Leukemia to wild salmon......
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:22:44 PM »

Dr. Kristi Miller in her report also goes on to say

"Not likely  the effect of salmonid aquaculture, but there could be linkages with the expansion of hatchery production."
What needs to be done is un biased research looking into this

Constant fear mongering by one group and not releasing information to the public by another is not going to accomplish anything

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:12:18 PM »

Well put Mr. Mykiss.   

I feel the title of this post is somewhat misleading.  The title says one thing and the content says another. 

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »

I think you should try rereading the articles.

"In an extensive flowchart she (Dr Kristi Miller) notes Salmon Leukemia (called Marine Anemia by fish farmers) began spreading through fish farms in the early 1990s, (which is when the sockeye decline began). She reports that Salmon Leukemia can spread vertically, through the eggs, and also fish to fish. She downplays the relationship to salmon farms, but we learn later she was not allowed to test them. It is important to note this powerpoint is only Miller thinking out loud. It is not a finished report. However, she is a highly accredited scientist recognized by her peers."

The point I get is there is a correlation between the time the disease was detected in farmed salmon and the time the sockeye decline began. I wonder why DFO has not researched this or at least allowed others to research it.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

StillAqua

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 05:04:20 AM »

The point I get is there is a correlation between the time the disease was detected in farmed salmon and the time the sockeye decline began. I wonder why DFO has not researched this or at least allowed others to research it.
Genomics is one of those rapidly evolving fields of science where ten years ago that type of research just couldn't be done because costs were too high and technology too slow. Viruses are extremely tough to identify and study. If this all pans out with further research (assuming the Feds are willing to fund it), and the retrovirus turns out to be related to aquaculture and harming wild fish, it could have huge implications for BC.

Up until recently, fish farmers didn't have to allow anyone but a provincial inspector onto their farm property so unless they were willing to admit the researchers, you couldn't sample. That's a problem Alex Morton struggled against for years.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:06:15 AM by StillAqua »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »

It's like mining here. The companies that mine are pretty reluctant to use money from the spoils to remedy any mess they make. It usually comes out of our pockets. The Salmon farming industry use more money spinning a line about their operations. They would be more likely to pay someone off than put money into research. Especially if it were for something that was negative about their "farming". The adds on TV are a good example.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?