Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warning, cash grab by conservation dept.  (Read 41307 times)

doja

Re: Warning, cash grab by conservation dept.
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »

I saw c.o.'s give out a few warnings last sunday at allco, one for not recording a chinook and another was for no salmon stamp. I was there this morning and watched one loser kill two. When I told him hew had to record his fish(after the first one) he just mumbled something in his own language( middle eastern?) and ignored me. Its pathetic how many people are just doing whatever the want. And on another note I've caught 6 jacks on the aloutte this month, all under 50cm 1 - 2 lbs each and seen another 3 caught so they are there definitely in there

Now that is a joke.... give a warning for retaining a salmon with no stamp, which is harmful as they didn't contribute to the salmon, but ticket a guy who has a stamp but lost his pen. ::) ::)

More good examples of poorly directed enforcement. >:(

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »

--On advice of my lawyer... I cannot give legal opinion

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 09:24:23 PM »

What more could have happened???

I have seen CO's take all gear on this system as well as right a ticket.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 09:27:30 PM »

I saw c.o.'s give out a few warnings last sunday at allco, one for not recording a chinook and another was for no salmon stamp. I was there this morning and watched one loser kill two. When I told him hew had to record his fish(after the first one) he just mumbled something in his own language( middle eastern?) and ignored me. Its pathetic how many people are just doing whatever the want. And on another note I've caught 6 jacks on the aloutte this month, all under 50cm 1 - 2 lbs each and seen another 3 caught so they are there definitely in there

I have caught alot of springs under 50cm this month what I meant to say was that you can only retain one spring over 30cm.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bcguy

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 10:04:11 PM »

Truly, sounds like a bored CO, I mean really, was it a legal catch? If yes, give the guy a warning, (or better yet, lend a pen, are we Nazi's or something?) and let him move on, and look for snaggers, individuals with no licenses. Pathetic

"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »

tough break, but you can't blame the co's for doing their job...even when it seems they're never around when you need them.

between the two of you, you only had one pen?  ???

doja

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 10:38:17 PM »

I have seen CO's take all gear on this system as well as right a ticket.

You have seen them seize gear for failing to write down an adult Chinook? That seems very unlikely. ???

I could see it for poaching but not a minor offense like what the OP allegedly did.

--On advice of my lawyer... I cannot give legal opinion

You should fire your lawyer.... You have every right to give a legal opinion, just not advice. ;)

15 years ago I was driving from UBC to Richmond just after I got my driver licence. The speed limit changed from 80km/hr to 50km/hr but my speed remained 80km/hr because I failed to notice the sign. I was flagged down by the police. I guess that I should have insisted that I would have slowed down if I saw the sign because I am as honest as a person would get.

Canadian justice system is just so so unfair, my rights are being violated daily by these cash grabbers. Oh the suffering.

::)

Ok rod, if your car was malfunction and the speedometer was not working properly and the above happened do you still think the ticket should still apply??? You still had the intent to follow the rules but due to things out of your control it didn't happen. Just like the OP he thought he still had a working pen but realized after the fact that it was missing. There was no criminal intent. And the fact you can easily get around it if he did have criminal intent he wouldn't have gotten caught! And road signs have the advantage to pop out in-front of the driver somewhat regularly. how many people check to see if their pen is on hand several times threw-out the day.

I just think that this is something that people can easily get around anyways as you can have have multiple licenses on hand and just record one fish down, go to car/home, and then pull out the other licenses and repeat and appear fully within the law. And DFO just made this 100x easier. >:( This is a cash grab. I could give many more examples of how this new re-printable licenses system has made it so much more easier to cheat the system. DFO really screwed up thinking they saved a few dollars and then proceed to harass otherwise law abiding fishermen.

And most people don't keep springs so his friend may not have had a pen because he don't keep them.

In addition the last few outings I have lost line at my home while picking up my vest, and on the flow moving from run to run. I've also lost many other things in the past.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:46:25 PM by doja »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 10:49:41 PM »

Well DFO had nothing to do with this new system of printable non-tidal licence. This was strickly a provincial government decesion not federal. And yes I have seen them sieze gear for this exact thing on this system. Doja you have no idea how many days I have spent on this river, in fact I pretty much live on the river (no I really do) and have been since 1977.

doja

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 11:15:37 PM »

Well DFO had nothing to do with this new system of printable non-tidal licence. This was strickly a provincial government decesion not federal. And yes I have seen them sieze gear for this exact thing on this system. Doja you have no idea how many days I have spent on this river, in fact I pretty much live on the river (no I really do) and have been since 1977.

No offense, but you didn't even know what the rules were. ::) :) :D Maybe you should spend a day reading the regulations? LOL :D (joking...kinda :D) You are no different than the offenders we are talking about... Now do you think you deserve to be taxed? I'd be willing to bet you are a good citizen not deserving of it too and a simple warning/informing did/would do the same job.

The bad guys don't make mistakes.... they darn well know what they are doing!!!

I Still don't believe they did that for a single offense though ... maybe there were other factors at play, maybe history?

DFO, MOE its all the same government that should have the same intentions.... In the end it has a negative effect as the result of government poor policy.

We want good people to support fish enforcers but not when they do injustices to the good people.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:21:20 PM by doja »

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2010, 11:45:54 PM »

Hmmm...

For some reason there seems to be some confusion about breaking the law and the intent to break the law.  Intent is not a legal defense.  If you drive a car and your speedometer is broken and you're speeding, while it may not be your intent to be speeding, it doesn't change the fact that you were in fact going too fast.  If you get into a bar fight and the guy you punched in the jaw ends up dead, it probably wasn't your intent to kill him either.  It may not be murder (which does have a very strong element of intent, btw) but it could certainly be manslaughter and yes, you could be charged.  To put this into perspective from the officer's viewpoint.  As a CO, how many times do they come across people poaching (ie: not recording catches on licenses) and I'll bet if people are caught, the very first thing they might say is that I lost my pen or my pen isn't working or some other excuse that tries to justify the lack of compliance with the law.  In fact, I know people who get speeding tickets and then challenge it in court knowing that the officer involved won't show up in most cases and then the case (and ticket) is thrown out.  No penalty to the speeder and us taxpayers end up footing the bill for the justice system.  Going back to the broken speedometer scenario for the moment, it is the responsibility of the owner (yes, the dreaded "R" word) to ensure that their vehicle is operating properly.  If it wasn't, I wouldn't want to be driving on the highways with all those big trucks with faulty brakes.  As an angler, it is your responsibility to know and follow the rules.  And yes rules change.  Sometimes often but pleading ignorance is no excuse nor a legal defense.   It's also a truism that often people who follow the rules are the only ones who get punished. 

One last thing I will say however.  I strongly suspect that the CO probably has discretion as to whether or not to issue a ticket for the offense.  In this case it appears that he/she chose to exercise that discretion rather than issue a warning.  But by the same token this may be  the 8th or 15th time he/she had heard that particular reason being given for not recording a catch on a license.   In which case, see the bottom line of the paragraph above. 
President Club S. C. & P.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2010, 11:54:28 PM »

Something's wrong. That last post makes way too much sense, the poster must work for the cash grabbers. ;D

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2010, 12:22:28 AM »

Amazing how everyone is so pro enforcement except when it comes to themselves getting busted. 

Go ahead, fight the ticket.  But when the only question that matters is asked "did you record the fish on your licence immediatley".  Your answer will be no.   GUILTY. 

doja

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2010, 12:38:12 AM »

Hmmm...

For some reason there seems to be some confusion about breaking the law and the intent to break the law.  Intent is not a legal defense.  If you drive a car and your speedometer is broken and you're speeding, while it may not be your intent to be speeding, it doesn't change the fact that you were in fact going too fast.  If you get into a bar fight and the guy you punched in the jaw ends up dead, it probably wasn't your intent to kill him either.  It may not be murder (which does have a very strong element of intent, btw) but it could certainly be manslaughter and yes, you could be charged.  To put this into perspective from the officer's viewpoint.  As a CO, how many times do they come across people poaching (ie: not recording catches on licenses) and I'll bet if people are caught, the very first thing they might say is that I lost my pen or my pen isn't working or some other excuse that tries to justify the lack of compliance with the law.  In fact, I know people who get speeding tickets and then challenge it in court knowing that the officer involved won't show up in most cases and then the case (and ticket) is thrown out.  No penalty to the speeder and us taxpayers end up footing the bill for the justice system.  Going back to the broken speedometer scenario for the moment, it is the responsibility of the owner (yes, the dreaded "R" word) to ensure that their vehicle is operating properly.  If it wasn't, I wouldn't want to be driving on the highways with all those big trucks with faulty brakes.  As an angler, it is your responsibility to know and follow the rules.  And yes rules change.  Sometimes often but pleading ignorance is no excuse nor a legal defense.   It's also a truism that often people who follow the rules are the only ones who get punished.  

One last thing I will say however.  I strongly suspect that the CO probably has discretion as to whether or not to issue a ticket for the offense.  In this case it appears that he/she chose to exercise that discretion rather than issue a warning.  But by the same token this may be  the 8th or 15th time he/she had heard that particular reason being given for not recording a catch on a license.   In which case, see the bottom line of the paragraph above.  

Intent is a huge legal defense ::) In the above post you say it is not, yet you say in the bar fight it is(wtf). It in fact is, instead of a murder charge or a criminal negligence charge it is a manslaughter charge based solely on intent. That is his legal defense, hello!!!. You just contradicted your self.... ::) ::) ::)

Ever hear of willful blindness??? That is another defense based solely on intent. The defended was unknowingly breaking the law by no fault of his own. That is why we have judges and a court of law. Officers of the law know a little about the law. There not lawyers for a reason. That's why we have crown lawyers.

Driving down the road and no paying attention to road signs is ignorance, no excuse. Now if the speedometer was off by no fault of someone then for all he knows he was following the law and there is nothing he could have done unless it was a large difference in which one should have known.

I'd love to see a case where the judge upheld the charge.

Now, as far as the filling out the licenses, the re-printable ones make a great loop-hole that any poacher should and does use. Anyone who doesn't is most likely not intending to break the law.

Like I said, the bad guys know what they are doing (that's why they don't get caught!) and the honest people who make simple mistakes that have little effect (in this case) get nailed. Well guess what.... I know he will probably have resentment towards the "man" and probably never call RAPP as he now dislikes them.

In the end there is now one less guy who is going to be supportive of the officers and what good does that do???

Remember, it's not about enforcing rules.... It's about have a positive effect in a whole using the rules in certain cases.

But oh well, lets just let the officers chase good guys thinking they are making a difference why the bad guys continue un-touched. And trust me, the poachers rarely get caught as the officers are stupidly chasing the wrong people, and the poachers know how the law works and use it to their advantage..... With the help of paper licenses

Amazing how everyone is so pro enforcement except when it comes to themselves getting busted.  

Go ahead, fight the ticket.  But when the only question that matters is asked "did you record the fish on your licence immediatley".  Your answer will be no.   GUILTY.  

And what was accomplished??? Nothing poachers are still poaching. I see them all the time and I'm even surprised that I'm seeing them allot more. Oh well, for the most part they are nice people and always give me room so I'm not inconvenienced and have no problem with them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:04:43 AM by doja »

burnaby

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2010, 12:44:44 AM »

Title should be warning, carry a pen, it's that easy.

First is warning for not recording a chinook, what about not knowing the limit, or wild vs. hatchery, or coho vs. sockeye.

doja

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2010, 01:19:53 AM »

Title should be warning, carry a pen, it's that easy.

First is warning for not recording a chinook, what about not knowing the limit, or wild vs. hatchery, or coho vs. sockeye.

I see you didn't even read the OP ::) Nice

He said he lost it which can happen.