Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warning, cash grab by conservation dept.  (Read 41277 times)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: Warning, cash grab by conservation dept.
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2010, 08:30:53 PM »

PS, I use to sell licenses too... :)

Might want to think about getting that job back, as your doja Vu Seminar aint paying too good while guest appearing "live on FWR" ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

So it was 10 bucks eh ? Thought so !! I guess you would have to keep up on a real important issue like this, to know year by year ::) ::)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:34:51 PM by Bently »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2010, 11:49:53 AM »

--A cop buddy once told me... "We don't catch the smart ones"... but there's enough dumb ones out there to keep us busy.

--I would think that those who print multiple licenses to catch more than their recreational share must be selling or bartering their catch to others. Hopefull they will come across a potential client who will turn them in or will blab to someone on the water or in a bar about how successful they have been.

--I am currently fishing an area of river that is closed to fishing as part of a research project... We have a collection permit and each designated fisher is listed on the permit and must carry the permit with them... This area is in open view to the highway and along a walking path which many people use... We explain to as many people who ask what the project is and display our permit... This has been ongoing for a week and a few more weeks to go.
--What amazes me is that in all this time only one person has actually come up to me to inform me the river is closed and to my knowledge there have been no calls into tip lines or MOE.

--I was concerned when we started the project that we would be often challenged so each person had a cell phone and phone number of the project supervisor and MOE contact so that if anyone wished to check it out they could call... also to show to people who do not know the regulations and saw us fishing and decided to fish without checking to see if the area was open to fishing. This has already happened on two occasions people showed up with rod in hand to fish beside us and we informed them of the regulation and they left without confrontation or line in the water.

--I would like to see a more visual program like the many River Watch Programs .. where participants wear the river watch patch thus people fishing near them know.. they better tag  or release their  fish as appropriate and follow the intent of the regulations.

wizard

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2010, 08:03:38 PM »

I always thought a poster board with current regs near parking lots on rivers would be a good idea. ie.stave river parking lot with big sign saying "NO CHUM SALMON RETENTION" between so and so date.... or at certain popular bars briefly explaining "NO WILD COHO/TROUT RETENTION" might be added insurance as to help explain ignorant fisherman the rules.....although I could see these postings being vandalised or what not....even just signs with c/o's/ dfo's phone # on it if witnessing suspicious activities.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2010, 09:50:18 PM »

I always thought a poster board with current regs near parking lots on rivers would be a good idea. ie.stave river parking lot with big sign saying "NO CHUM SALMON RETENTION" between so and so date.... or at certain popular bars briefly explaining "NO WILD COHO/TROUT RETENTION" might be added insurance as to help explain ignorant fisherman the rules.....although I could see these postings being vandalised or what not....even just signs with c/o's/ dfo's phone # on it if witnessing suspicious activities.

I do work for a hatchery on one of the rivers in my area and we post laminated signs on the head of every trail that goes to the river that state the regs for that river.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »

Kanaka Creek is the only river I've seen with poster of retention qty at very much every access point.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »

I do work for a hatchery on one of the rivers in my area and we post laminated signs on the head of every trail that goes to the river that state the regs for that river.

And that river is seeing lots of poaching already this year. Its Brutal.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2010, 09:53:32 PM »

And that river is seeing lots of poaching already this year. Its Brutal.

Yes it is brutal. The good thing is that both DFO and the local CO's have a good discription of the vehicles as well as the name of one person. There will be more enforcement around this year as well.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rev Trev

« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2010, 08:55:43 PM »

That's a tough one but I have been fishing the Alouette a fair amount recently. Many times we have called the DFO and the Parks people because this year there have been insane people fishing this beautiful little gem. It used to be you could avoid all the idiots (please I am not saying you are one of these... I am only commenting on what I have seen for myself this year... and it has been disgusting!) by heading to this small gem of a river. This year I have personally felt like the DFO when I have been out fishing at Alllco... seriously people banging Chum because they think no one is watching... caught another family with over 5 Black as Coal Springs in their cooler... AND NOT ONE recorded... they didn't even know they had to till I showed them... and then they borrowed a pen to record them. Seriously... I think DFO needs a head shake... but I also think they should make a few of the people who care "Deputies at Large" or something because the people at Allco this year have been killing a great fishery that is fun and so close to home!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2010, 11:54:07 PM »

--sometimes like dealing with .. I don't know what... we're fishing an area of river that is closed to recreational fishing as part of a sanctioned research project.  I'm getting to know what CO's have to go through... people continue to come to this section of river that is closed fishing gear in hand. .. we go over and explain to them the area is closed and show them the letter of permission we have.
--the usual response is they didn't know the river was closed... this is not a special closesure this section of the river is always closed at this time of year. they explain how sorry they are and immediately pack up explaining how happy they are we told them as they are really law abiding ethical fishers... then I see the guy has attached to his line a treble barbed hook...even when the river is open it is clearly stated single barbless. so now I'm not so sympathetic about the didn't read the regs section or the law abiding part.