Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Chilliwack River hatchery marked coho salmon did you retain in fall 2010?

1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2010 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 113094 times)

BBarley

Bottom bouncing is a perfectly acceptable setup for fishing the Vedder, but keep your leaders short and fish with jensen eggs or roe, anything that will elicit a fish to bite at your offering. If your bottom bouncing with a 15 foot leader, it's clear what your intentions are. People will go out of their way to snag you up (myself included) if you are flossing the run. There are plenty of ways to fish the various runs without flossing that will produce fish.

Spoons, spinners will hammer coho and springs under the right conditions. Floating a big gob of roe is always a good bet for salmon. I've almost lost my rod numerous times floating a small jig under a float in calm water.

Look for risers, I was on the river at 6:00am this morning and the river was boiling with fish jumping, I waded to the spot I wanted to fish from and probably spooked 5 fish right at first light.

My personal opinion is, in river conditions like right now (high) salmon will be on the move as the increase in water discharge combined with the dirtier water give them the green light to head up river. I caught fish 5 feet off shore yesterday in the brownish high water. Focus on finding travel lanes and presenting your offering to the fish. Once you find the lane, game on.

When the river drops and clears up, you'll find salmon stacking up in the pools a lot more and they may be more skittish. Time to throw everything but the kitchen sink at them. Give them something they haven't seen before. You'll be surprised what you might find out.  

tworivers

Conditions this morning were good. As Rodney along with Rhino are still fishing I will let one of them give the report, later. ;D ;D ;D
Mmmmm...  three ;D ;D ;D's
Rodney and Rhino must be looking to limit out on the forth ;D

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on

has anyone been up there since the rains this week how is the water looking thanks in advance

BBarley

has anyone been up there since the rains this week how is the water looking thanks in advance

Water is still highish but nice and clear. Just got back from the river, walked from Peach Rd. down way past Lickman, saw about 30+ - guys along the way. Guys fishing those gravel extraction sites along the way looking for some coho I guess.

Jace

Hopefuly heading out tomorrow with 2 buddies.
Ive got some roe but not lots, so my friends will either use pink wool jiggs or calarado blades short floated... What would you reccomend ?
And if we dont end up there we will be at the stave. same question ^

Thanks

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Stars are shinning, not much rain overnight, things should be hot today. ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Just checked in with the retired fishermen. :) Condition remains good this morning as it has not been raining too much in the valley.

lapa

Just checked in with the retired fishermen. :) Condition remains good this morning as it has not been raining too much in the valley.
how is fishing?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

how is fishing?
Fishing report later.

lapa

Thanks a lot Chris.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Fishing report later.
Two reports now under the fishing report thread.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Good conditions today, further report under fishing reports.

habkid10

where are these reports?   apparently its off limits to me.

habkid10

anyways   i was out on wed th an  fri   an  only hooked a couple dark springs an 1 chrome 15 lb 'er .fished downstream of the trainbridge.didnt see any other fish caught . guys i talked to said it was real slow as well .pounded the river for 10 hours each day an nuthin.river is in perfect shape but there arent that many fish around.usually i slay by the 3rd week of sept  so lets hope the fish are a little late.tried everything from wool roe blades jigs.......even tried bb'ing........jus kiddin ,but i felt like it. lol.im off next week an will b out mon to thurs an i will post a report then.

shakespug

I was out there practicing my bait casting skills (probably barely a passing grade) on last Thursday and a fellow baitcaster beside me kept hooking onto fish and kept on losing it too  :o
We were both short drifting, the only difference being that he didn't bird-nest all this time, and I bird-nested twice and managed to tangle the whole spool on the second nest.
There were also flossers who showed up and one other fellow drifter guy kept snagging them up  ;D
Needless to say, I am displeased by these embarrassing flossers and they don't speak English either.
 :-\