Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye fishing tactics on lower Fraser vs Upper Fraser  (Read 13818 times)

andrew5

sockeye fishing tactics on lower Fraser vs Upper Fraser
« on: August 31, 2010, 12:41:18 PM »

Hi guys,

I live in New West, and though I would prefer to be up on the bars in Chilliwack fishing for Sockeye, I can't get there until the weekends. If i was going to fish the sockeye in the lower reaches of the river in New West and/or Richmond, does the same bouncing betty approach work down in the lower reaches of the Fraser?

Any suggestions on how to vary my approach for greter success inthe lower river is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

milo

• Old Timer
Re: sockeye fishing tactics on lower Fraser vs Upper Fraser
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »

Why would you need any more than 4 sockeye per week, for crying out loud?
Do you have a dozen hungry kids or something?
I mean, seriously, how much fish does a person/family need?
Are you wanting to supply the whole extended family/neoghbourhood?

Your post makes you sound greedy, Andrew.

To answer your question, lose the bouncing betty and try some big spoons.
Cast it out, wait a few seconds and retrieve at various (slower rather than faster) speeds.
You'll get the occasional fish if you hit the right tides.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »

Milo, I think you've been reading too many sockeye posts. ;)

I must be missing something, I can't seem to find anything in Andrew's post about wanting more fish. All he was asking is tactics in the tidal portion of the Fraser River because he can't get to the non-tidal part until the weekend.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:08:08 PM »

Your post makes you sound greedy, Andrew.

To answer your question, lose the bouncing betty and try some big spoons.
Cast it out, wait a few seconds and retrieve at various (slower rather than faster) speeds.
You'll get the occasional fish if you hit the right tides.

Ha, ha my turn.

I think Milo is saying that Andrew can fish both days on the weekend and take home 4 sockeye over the 2 days.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:11:52 PM »

Just because Andrew wants to fish more than two days per week (or maybe he's only fishing one day on the weekend), it doesn't mean it would catch more than 4 fish or he would want to keep more than 4 fish in total, especially when he's just starting out:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24779.0

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »

Yeah, sockeye flossing overload. ;D

(and yes, Easywater, that's exactly what I meant.) ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »

No need to jump all over Andrew for asking a honest question. Sheesh

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »

No need to jump all over Andrew for asking a honest question. Sheesh

AND WHO THE HECK ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT I NEED OR DON'T NEED TO DO, EH?   >:(

Just kidding, boyz... :).
I am done...I won't read any more threads with the word sockeye in it anymore this season.

Before I leave...Andrew, good on you to ask questions, and keep doing so, but PLEASE remember: don't take bouncing betties anywhere with you after the sockeye retention season is over. They don't belong in a real angler's fishing arsenal. They are a snagging tool, not a fishing tool.

Cheers,

Milo

andrew5

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 04:16:54 PM »

Hi Milo/ guys...

Honestly, I wish I was getting 4 sockeye a week... I am that fishing buddy that is cursed with bad luck, but too stobborn and too in love with fishing to find another sport/hobby.

I went both days to the peg last week and only got one fish for my efforts. I would like to have 6 fish in the freezer, and amybe have one or two to give to the parents as a gift.

Right now, I am jsut focused on practicing as much as I can and getting more hours under my belt to gain experience, not to mention, it would be nice to discover a nice spot not too far from my doorstep.

not to worry about leaving teh betties out of the tackle box after the closure - I am focused on learning angling the right (see "ethical") way. If only I could turn into someone's apprentice on this site, I think my learning curve woudl accelerate!

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »

Hi Milo/ guys...

Honestly, I wish I was getting 4 sockeye a week... I am that fishing buddy that is cursed with bad luck, but too stobborn and too in love with fishing to find another sport/hobby.

I went both days to the peg last week and only got one fish for my efforts. I would like to have 6 fish in the freezer, and amybe have one or two to give to the parents as a gift.

Right now, I am jsut focused on practicing as much as I can and getting more hours under my belt to gain experience, not to mention, it would be nice to discover a nice spot not too far from my doorstep.

not to worry about leaving teh betties out of the tackle box after the closure - I am focused on learning angling the right (see "ethical") way. If only I could turn into someone's apprentice on this site, I think my learning curve woudl accelerate!

well the fish are right outside your door there in the fraser, being the tidal section it wont be too  easy . Follow Rodneys link and that should provide some tips, basically need to put in the time casting spoons/spinners...you might get lucky. There are a few bar fishing spots close to new west...there may be some chinook jacks moving up the river at this time and you can use lighter gear in the tidal section. I used to catch coho from a bar near new west.

penn

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 06:23:03 PM »

Just because Andrew wants to fish more than two days per week (or maybe he's only fishing one day on the weekend), it doesn't mean it would catch more than 4 fish or he would want to keep more than 4 fish in total, especially when he's just starting out:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24779.0

And even if he did want more than 4 fish , what business is it of milo's? ::)

fish007

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »

Attach a  spin-n-glo at the end of long leader, attach a hook before the head of spin n glo. Does any one have expereinces of this for sockeye.

andrew5

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 07:40:30 PM »

Hry Vsnvook,

thasnks for the advice. If you feel like PMíng some better spots in and around the New West area, I would be very grateful. I can't imagine there are too many "secret spots" in New West.

I have found the Sapperton docks... how is this place. still haven't tried it yet. Any others?

Cheers,

Andrew

Makaveli

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:31 PM »

I've been to the sappron docks a few times this season, lots of snags.  :'(
you come in peace, you leave in pieces...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 12:43:41 AM »

Hry Vsnvook,

thasnks for the advice. If you feel like PMíng some better spots in and around the New West area, I would be very grateful. I can't imagine there are too many "secret spots" in New West.

I have found the Sapperton docks... how is this place. still haven't tried it yet. Any others?

The question regarding good/best/favourite fishing spots in the tidal portion of the Fraser River comes up again and again on the forum, in my email, in my private message box, in comments to our YouTube video, etc. The answer that I give remains the same each time. While some spots may produce slightly better than others, all spots are good along the Tidal Fraser River because all migratory fish have to travel past it. The location does not determine your success, but your timing does. At any particular spot, the water level changes throughout the day due to tide. Some spots produce better at low tide, some spots produce better at high tide, some spots produce better when the current is slow, while some spots produce better when the current is strong. You'd need to head down there repeatedly to figure it out. I'd head down there at high tide on one day, at low tide on another. During low tide, note where all the snags and structures are so you know where they are when submerged at high tide. Water clarity also changes between low and high tide as well.

Good luck.