Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Opening Tuesday?  (Read 27051 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Opening Tuesday?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »

how many days does the rumor say it will be open for ???
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 09:24:42 PM »

In my opinion, flossing should be outlawed. I met and talked to a group of 6 people yesterday who were staying at Fraser River Lodge. Their guides were all flossing to get them into fish. They were hooking and releasing many sockeye. It's pretty sad when a lodge has to floss to get their guests into fish.   :o
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »

Guess that would depend on the run and the civility of the fishermen

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 09:31:21 PM »

how many days does the rumor say it will be open for ???
One day too many. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »

In my opinion, flossing should be outlawed. I met and talked to a group of 6 people yesterday who were staying at Fraser River Lodge. Their guides were all flossing to get them into fish. They were hooking and releasing many sockeye. It's pretty sad when a lodge has to floss to get their guests into fish.   :o
Very sad but they are bringing on their own death knell, short time gain long time loss but we will suffer too. We saw the beginning of it this season. ::)

Jaws

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 10:53:56 PM »

Folks, I don't get this argument about flossing or the resentment people have about it ..... it doesn't make sense and is a waste of time.  It's NOT the fishing method that should be scrutinized .....nets, barbless hooks, spears, shopping carts, dynamite, etc (well maybe not the latter); it's the number of fish that need to be preserved.  How different is bottom bouncing from netting a fish?  Yes, I get it, flossing is not 'the fine art of fishing' or doesn't even come close to the tenacity of fly fishing. 

On the other hand, isn't fishing about out-witting the fish and getting it out of the water?  Hence, if one wants to make a logical argument and bring "ethics" (good vs bad) into this discussion, I think bottom bouncing is as good or as bad as any of the other fishing methods.   

Back to the real issue here - the number of sockeyes.  If there are not enough, close the darn fisheries and go after those who fish for sockeyes.  If there are enough, allow people to fish for them.  If you want to protect them, ban bottom bouncing.....period.  Don't ask fishermen not to bottom bounce - ban it! 

Sometimes, I wish fish were smarter than us.  In the meantime, tight lines and follow the rules ....EVERYONE who lives here.

BBarley

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 01:38:45 AM »

Honestly, it's kind of sad.

One species of fish gets sooooooooooo much attention, and why, because it has some dark red flesh, and spawns by the millions most years.

Speaking from one who was raised on the Skeena River, I love when the sockeye stocks crash, because the commercial fishermen don't get openings, and hundreds of nets stay on the rollers instead of in the water, taking everything headed upstream.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 07:26:02 AM »

Folks, I don't get this argument about flossing or the resentment people have about it ..... it doesn't make sense and is a waste of time.  It's NOT the fishing method that should be scrutinized .....nets, barbless hooks, spears, shopping carts, dynamite, etc (well maybe not the latter); it's the number of fish that need to be preserved.  How different is bottom bouncing from netting a fish?  Yes, I get it, flossing is not 'the fine art of fishing' or doesn't even come close to the tenacity of fly fishing. 

On the other hand, isn't fishing about out-witting the fish and getting it out of the water?  Hence, if one wants to make a logical argument and bring "ethics" (good vs bad) into this discussion, I think bottom bouncing is as good or as bad as any of the other fishing methods.   

Back to the real issue here - the number of sockeyes.  If there are not enough, close the darn fisheries and go after those who fish for sockeyes.  If there are enough, allow people to fish for them.  If you want to protect them, ban bottom bouncing.....period.  Don't ask fishermen not to bottom bounce - ban it! 

Sometimes, I wish fish were smarter than us.  In the meantime, tight lines and follow the rules ....EVERYONE who lives here.

Could not agree more with your post Jaws..... The infighting amongst us is counter productive.
always a student

glog

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 08:19:44 AM »

Here. Here well said.

Its always the elitists that try and ram their ideas down everyones elses throat.
Bottom bouncing is a form of fishing and takes a lot more work than sitting in a deck chair waiting for some stupid bell to go off.

Yes its not sports fishing its a form of harvesting for the table which is perfectly legal.

Go after the real problem, the nets.  Natives can have all the openings the want just let them bottom bounce for the salmon like everyone else.

Get rid off the NETS on the Fraser and the story would be over.

purple monster

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »

is the river area from the fraser river
 up to the train bridge part of the Fraser river  or of the Harrison river???

SMOLT333

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 08:55:44 AM »

Excellent post Jaws , fully agree with you

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »

Bottom bouncing is a form of fishing and takes a lot more work than sitting in a deck chair waiting for some stupid bell to go off.

Hey, hey, easy now.......   I love it when that stupid bell goes off!!    ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 09:01:33 AM »

is the river area from the fraser river
 up to the train bridge part of the Fraser river  or of the Harrison river???

The Harrison.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »

Why on earth would anyone who lives here take a vacation to Mexico this time of the year? You've got 7 months here where it does nothing but rain and is damp out.
Why go now?

Because this is the Off season in Mexico and the trips are cheap !!!! I was just down there a couple of weeks ago and had a fantastic time !! anytime is a good time to get away and enjoy the tropics !!
my two cents
Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

andychan

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 09:26:01 AM »

So I guess the rumour was bogus for an opening today.