Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Opening Tuesday?  (Read 27063 times)

lovetofish

Re: Sockeye Opening Tuesday?
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »

read the regs lovetofish - hatchery sockeye must be released.

PS - we used to troll the tidal areas of the fraser (around the mouth) for socks and when you found the shool they would bite hard.  little pink and orange hotchies.  this opening is really a marine opening.  guys that run boats dump a lot into the economy with gas and tackle, it also allows charter boats to do more bookings so I think the 4 fish limit is an incentive to drive that sector and I think its a good idea.  when we trolled out there we nver saw near the pressure you would see on a single average fraser river bar.
Gooey, Thanks for that. I have never had the chance to fish salt water, so the tidal regs are foreign to me.  I guess the Mission bridge is just the tidal boundary, and really not many fish are caught in this portion of the river, so these limits are tuned more for the salt where most of the fishing pressure is.
 I have just seen clips of tidal regs and I am not familiar with the different tidal areas, hence my question about coho.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »

Like anywhere else, it is the 'rich' vs the 'poor', and the rich gets to play while the poor stays home or the rich enjoys their private beaches of their own island while the poor gets jammed up in popular public beaches..  ;D Geez, I thought Canada is much more advanced than some banana republics or Asian countries.

But in this case, why the 'rich' gets to play first  ???  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »

Gooey, Thanks for that. I have never had the chance to fish salt water, so the tidal regs are foreign to me.  I guess the Mission bridge is just the tidal boundary, and really not many fish are caught in this portion of the river, so these limits are tuned more for the salt where most of the fishing pressure is.
 I have just seen clips of tidal regs and I am not familiar with the different tidal areas, hence my question about coho.

Fishing opportunities in the tidal portion of the Fraser River are pretty readily available, most anglers are just not aware of it. The other fact is success rate. Because non-tidal portion of the Fraser River and its tributaries is much narrower, your chance of encountering a fish is significantly higher than fishing from shore between Steveston and Mission. For example, when fishing for coho salmon in the Chilliwack River on an October day, you may encounter several fish during one outing. On the other hand, when fishing around Steveston, encountering one fish would be considered a good day. This factor tends to discourage or turn anglers off, which is great for those who are keen to expend the time down here to catch a fish because crowding is never an issue.

Anyway, back to the daily quota differences. Many factors are involved when determining it as mentioned in my previous post. The run size/escapement requirement, number of angling hours, harvest rate, interception of vulnerable species that may mix in with species that are permitted for fishing, etc are just some of the factors. In the case of wild coho salmon in Southern BC, retention is not permitted because the stocks are not sustainable for it. To counter this problem while satisfying recreational fishermen's needs, hatchery raised stocks are used to supplement the fishery.

Like anywhere else, it is the 'rich' vs the 'poor', and the rich gets to play while the poor stays home or the rich enjoys their private beaches of their own island while the poor gets jammed up in popular public beaches..  ;D Geez, I thought Canada is much more advanced than some banana republics or Asian countries.

But in this case, why the 'rich' gets to play first  ???  ;D

::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=126546&ID=recreational

The current status of the Fraser River sockeye return provides for recreational sockeye retention opportunities in the non-tidal waters of the Fraser River in Region 2.

Effective one hour before sunrise Monday, August 9, 2010 until further notice, in those waters of the Fraser River in Region 2 (non-tidal Fraser River) retention of sockeye is permitted with a daily limit of two (2) per day.

Further to FN0569 a sockeye hook and release mortality study will be operating on Grassy Bar on August 9 to 13, 16 to 20 and 23 to 27.  A component of this study is to catch sockeye by beach seine.  Operating a beach seine effectively uses a significant portion of the bar and anglers/vessels cannot be in the area. On the following dates a significant portion of Grassy Bar will be utilized by the study for the beach seine component and be unavailable for recreational angling: August 12, 17, 19 and 26.  The Department requests your cooperation with making alternate fishing arrangements on these dates.

Notes:
Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye.  These fish are hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and coho salmon.  Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment.  Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation?  If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH.

Variation Order No. 2010-332.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For more information contact the local DFO office in your area for updated information as it becomes available.