Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grad Party In The Chilliwack River Valley Once Again, Disturbing.  (Read 30189 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Grad Party In The Chilliwack River Valley Once Again, Disturbing.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 04:27:23 PM »

It's good to see this discussion has been brought to the attention of those who were involved in leaving the garbage behind. To the newly registered participants in this discussion, I would like to remind you that you have agreed to follow the forum guidelines when registering. Failure to do so would result in the deletion of your post(s) and termination of the account if necessary. You should also be aware that the discussion is being followed by those who you may not want the comments to be seen, so participate wisely and you are always welcome to express your opinion.

Participants of both sides should understand that, the mess has been done. We now have an idea on who left the garbage behind. Finger pointing is counter productive, instead I'd like to see better communication so we do not see this repeating each year. I see a failure at all levels. The system (schools, families, media, the community in general) has failed to place stronger emphasis on how we should be treating our environment. The message of "Leave no trace" has been lost. The fact that students thought that garbage put in a pile and left behind is considered as cleaned up demonstrates that we have a long way to go.

BTW, producing 160kg of waste from one camping trip is not what I would consider responsible, whether it is cleaned up or not. With so much talk on resource conservation, North America remains an extremely wasteful society.

The next Chilliwack River cleanup is on July 24th and anyone who would like to make a difference is welcome to join it.

Krestations

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 10:39:42 PM »

schools from all over head up to bench road to party.

Where abouts is this Bench road?
Also if you have any other good free-camping places suitable for over a hundered people that you'd rather suggest, please do so.
And to all those who cleaned up the mess, thankyou very much. To the people nagging us for doing what the rangers told us to, talk to the rangers.

PS.
I know you already shipped the garbage away, but if you still wanna send any garbage that you may have to the front of the school , I have no complaints.
Preferrably next week.

Coyote #2

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 12:36:57 AM »

Honestly, I was one of the last people to leave that tuesday, and my friends and I were left a disgusting mess by our fellow graduates. I'm not saying that i was at all happy to leave the campsite the way we did, but it was so much better left the way it was for you than it was for us.

treehuger <3

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 01:20:41 AM »

Honestly, I was one of the last people to leave that tuesday, and my friends and I were left a disgusting mess by our fellow graduates. I'm not saying that i was at all happy to leave the campsite the way we did, but it was so much better left the way it was for you than it was for us.

I commend you and a couple of other that have posted above for coming on here with some posts and not hiding from this incident, that would be easy to do but you have taken the high road.

I would like to suggest you and some others may wish to make a presentation at your school at an assembly about preventing an incident like this happening again. I am sure your principal and teachers would aid you in putting this together.

I feel this would have a very positive impact on all your fellow school members with the environment as well as all of us being be the beneficiary in the future.

If you are graduating this year all the best for a good summer and in your future endeavors.

Kindest regards,

Chris

ED LUNDY

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 02:06:43 PM »

first off is it possible to get my lawn chair back? hahah  ???    and second off we did what the police told us to do they came by and made sure we cleaned up till it was good so dont get mad at us cause they told us it was fine

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »

When RCMP officers asked you to pick up garbage that were scattered all over the campsites, you are under the assumption that all garbage are to be carried out with you because experience shows that irresponsible campers will not clean up if garbage are scattered. What did you expect, having them wait around until you leave and making sure you did the right thing? Want to be known as grown-ups, perhaps start demonstrating it. You are using FREE sites for camping, who exactly did you think were going to clean up your mess?

Coyote

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »

I find this funny Rodney, not only did YOU  say above. No Finger pointing its done and has happened.
I don't think you quiet understand what we mean either, the rangers came on the first night and the second night.
They said it was fine that we were there as long as we cleaned up our mess, which we did..
I was also one of the last people there and you should have seen the mess before that some of the other graduates left.
I understand your frustration as you care for the chilliwack river area; However, we did what we could.
Plus no one ever said we didn't care because we did.
Hence how we cleaned up.

When RCMP officers asked you to pick up garbage that were scattered all over the campsites, you are under the assumption that all garbage are to be carried out with you because experience shows that irresponsible campers will not clean up if garbage are scattered. What did you expect, having them wait around until you leave and making sure you did the right thing? Want to be known as grown-ups, perhaps start demonstrating it. You are using FREE sites for camping, who exactly did you think were going to clean up your mess?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 04:03:12 PM »

Coyote, I was there when the police attended and at that time there was no attempt by any students to clean up the mess laying around.  When the 4 of us started picking up your garbage, app. 20 students watched, said nothing, and did not offer to assist.

You say you cleaned up your mess.  I disagree.  You also say you did what you could, OK, perhaps you did.  Thing is, it should not have happened in the first place.  The fact you are responding makes me think you are a leader in your school and respected by your peers.
If so, let them know this behavior is wrong.

Coyote #2

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 05:26:01 PM »

Thank you for cleaning it up. but you can't very well get mad at us for doing what the rangers told us to do...

And I'll talk to our principals on monday and tell them to inform the grad class of 2011 to clean up their mess better than we did, but unfortunatly that's all that I can do.
treehuger <3

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »

I find this funny Rodney, not only did YOU  say above. No Finger pointing its done and has happened.
I don't think you quiet understand what we mean either, the rangers came on the first night and the second night.
They said it was fine that we were there as long as we cleaned up our mess, which we did..
I was also one of the last people there and you should have seen the mess before that some of the other graduates left.
I understand your frustration as you care for the chilliwack river area; However, we did what we could.
Plus no one ever said we didn't care because we did.
Hence how we cleaned up.

My previous comments were mainly directed at ED LUNDY and Krestations' remarks, not yours or Coyote #2's. Under the situation, kudos to you and others who were there last to make it more "presentable". My problem sits on our differences in definition of "cleaning up our mess". To me it means leaving the place at the same state as before using it.

No finger pointings needed from my part, the discussion now has evolved to including participants who are openly admitting their involvement of this mess.

Coyote

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »

Well for the most part, most of us cleaned up our messes and I put my garbage in my cooler and brought it home.

slimyfish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 09:28:59 PM »

It’s easy to point the finger, but ultimately we are all responsible for our own actions. 
The Rangers’ order was warranted as they may have wanted the debris contained in one area.  While the debris remained there as an eye sore, thankfully it was not floating downriver out of sight, out of mind (thank you, Grads).  As responsible managers, the safety of individuals is a high priority, hence an order was given to clean up and to maintain a liveable abode away from home for you grads, as you were not in any condition to “drive out”.  Being young does not excuse anyone from the perils of destruction but hopefully, this is a step towards maturing…
To the Authorities, perhaps it might be prudent to think your words carefully, for future reference. I am certain that if these Grads were told to take their debris back home, this cleanup would not have been necessary. After all, if given an easy way out, most would choose that route.
To the Grads, I know that you are a responsible group of young adults. You have shown your community spirit and leadership by raising funds for clean water in Sierra Leone; many of you have opened your wallets and pantries to fill baskets for SHARE at Christmas and many other worthwhile causes. Being a responsible citizen does not stop at your school’s door, something, which I hope you have now realized .
Many thanks to Chris, Lew, Dave, Paul and Terry for being the River stewards.  Your countless hours spent maintaining the cleanliness of the Chilliwack River Valley for us to enjoy and to appreciate the beauty we have within our backyard has touched the lives of our family.  To the 2010 Grads of Riverside, hope this was a lesson learned and to cherish the moments that we are blessed with. One day, you will be our community stewards in maintaining the beauty that surrounds us.

Taylor Happy

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 10:20:43 AM »

ROUND 2 WHAT!!!!!!!      GRAD 2010 WHAT!!!!!!!!     EVEN BIGGER MESS NEXT TIME WHAT!!!!!!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »

Moderators, I hope you leave these comments up for a while as it will let others know what we are up against.
Taylor Happy, are you from this school ?

ED LUNDY

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »

hi this is the real taylor happy using my friends account umm whoever made the taylor happy account your a real idiot i jsut wanna let everyone know on this forum that the TAYLOR HAPPY account is some idiot kid trying to make fun im sorry for any troubles this casues