Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Felt Soles are being banned..  (Read 5868 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Felt Soles are being banned..
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:58:02 PM »

Statewide Ban on Felt Soles in 2012
The Alaska Board of Fisheries unanimously passed a proposal at the March meeting to extend the time-frame anglers have before the ban on all felt-soled waders goes into effect. Felt soles have been widely used on waders for better traction while fishing, but the felt can stay damp for long periods and allow invasive species to survive on waders between fishing grounds. This proactive step by the Board seeks to prevent an occurrence of any invasive species being transported to Alaska via felt soles.

This ban is occurring in other places and a growing number of wader manufacturers are discontinuing felt soles and now offer quality alternatives.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Felt Soles are being banned..
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:13:35 AM »

--of course it is fishermen causing these problems.
--no parasite has ever been transported by a duck or other wading water foul or fir of a bear.

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »

I saw a bear eating a duck once and he was wearing a pair of pro-tac felt wading boots ;)

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:02:24 AM »

--I have no issue with not taking felt boots from here to the Galapagos islands that may not yet be contaminated.
--So if Alaska or other states feel they have prestine environments I'm willing to comply.
--Or if a serious outbreak occurs in a watershead.. for sure post it .. like virus on a cruise ship doesn't mean I should be required sterilize my boat each time I dock... although might be a good idea.

bklem

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »

I saw a bear eating a duck once and he was wearing a pair of pro-tac felt wading boots ;)

hahahahaha  :D

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:25:22 PM »

--I have no issue with not taking felt boots from here to the Galapagos islands that may not yet be contaminated.
--So if Alaska or other states feel they have prestine environments I'm willing to comply.
--Or if a serious outbreak occurs in a watershead.. for sure post it .. like virus on a cruise ship doesn't mean I should be required sterilize my boat each time I dock... although might be a good idea.

how do you know if the waters that you are fishing may be infected? better safe than sorry.
there are cases of "rock snot" reported in rivers of B.C.....this stuff will kill a river.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 01:41:37 PM »

i'm no expert in the ecological impact that felt soles have on the environment...but if it's about the transport of foreign and bacterial matter that is in question, wouldn't neoprene waders with stocking foot also constitute a vessel from which these hazards can be absorbed, then later released?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »

how do you know if the waters that you are fishing may be infected? better safe than sorry.
there are cases of "rock snot" reported in rivers of B.C.....this stuff will kill a river.

--great so post the verified areas on MOE fisheries site... so we know to take precautions if fishing those areas.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »

can you name the rivers thanks

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:15:44 PM »

The Gold River system and the Puntledge at Courtenay, Stamp  and many other island rivers are infected with Didymo (rock snot), see:  http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wat/wq/studies/didymo-blooms.pdf

Also Bulkley, South Thompson, Kettle, Columbia and Kootenay Rivers:   http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wat/wq/didy_bcstrms.html

These are all where fisherman go.

For more information see:   http://www.asf.ca/docs/issues/didymo-en.pdf  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:34:38 AM by VAGAbond »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 02:24:19 PM »

imo felt is still the best for wading...tough one to enforce if it ever came into effect here.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

nosey

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:46:39 AM »

How can it be that tough to enforce, a C.O. looks at your feet, if you have felt soles on he makes you take em off and return to your car barefoot and issues you a ticket, it's easier to see than whether or not you have a barbless hook, the tough part is electing a government that is committed to providing enough C.O's to protect our wildlife and fishery resources.

speycaster

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 09:37:16 AM »

If I was the C.O. it would be lose the boots with felt, if they were illegal to have goodbye boots. Depending where you were it could be a long uncomfortable walk to your vehicle.  ;D