Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fight The HST!  (Read 147030 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Fight The HST!
« Reply #480 on: September 22, 2012, 10:57:57 AM »

The revenue neutral part means that no extra taxes were being collected by the government.

Taxes are never appreciated by anyone. Government's responsibility is to generate tax revenue while also attracting business to the province so that the people of BC have jobs. HST is that sort of tax. PST is a terrible tax in that it adds to the cost of everything business produces. This makes it less attractive for businesses to set up shop in BC, which means less jobs (or lower paying jobs) in BC.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

glog

« Reply #481 on: September 22, 2012, 01:45:59 PM »

as a small business man myself, the HST helped greatly, I expanded and hired two employees
As a lot of costs were reduced.Mine is not a huge profit making business.

Going back to the old system means my costs go up and at least one of the new employees is no longer affordable, We will see about the second.

I am not part of the rich and provide a simple business that keeps the food on the table and the wolves at bay.

Thus the bottom line is that the  facts are,  despite the talk,  going back has resulted in the loss of one job at least.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #482 on: September 22, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »

as a small business man myself, the HST helped greatly, I expanded and hired two employees
As a lot of costs were reduced.Mine is not a huge profit making business.

Going back to the old system means my costs go up and at least one of the new employees is no longer affordable, We will see about the second.

I am not part of the rich and provide a simple business that keeps the food on the table and the wolves at bay.

Thus the bottom line is that the  facts are,  despite the talk,  going back has resulted in the loss of one job at least.

If you are not rich and are not a big business how can it be possible that you and your employees benefited from the HST?  Sorry couldn't resist that sarcastic remark.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #483 on: September 22, 2012, 08:47:52 PM »

The revenue neutral part means that no extra taxes were being collected by the government.

Taxes are never appreciated by anyone. Government's responsibility is to generate tax revenue while also attracting business to the province so that the people of BC have jobs. HST is that sort of tax. PST is a terrible tax in that it adds to the cost of everything business produces. This makes it less attractive for businesses to set up shop in BC, which means less jobs (or lower paying jobs) in BC.
Being selfish maybe less people will move to BC and less anglers on the water and also will be less attractive for fish framers to set up shop here in British Columbia. ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #484 on: September 23, 2012, 08:02:56 AM »

Being selfish maybe less people will move to BC and less anglers on the water and also will be less attractive for fish framers to set up shop here in British Columbia. ;D ;D

If getting rid of the HST means getting rid of the feedlots, I'm with you on this one Chris!   :D

Fillibert

« Reply #485 on: September 23, 2012, 11:53:07 PM »

The funny thing is that the liberals made lots of mistakes and lined their pockets with cash. Now they are done, and the next government will do the same... Since when does a change of government bring real change. If the liberals stay in power at least they shouldn't make the same mistakes... Put somebody new in and they are bound to repeat...

glog

« Reply #486 on: September 24, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »

If you are not rich and are not a big business how can it be possible that you and your employees benefited from the HST?  Sorry couldn't resist that sarcastic remark.

Its very simple every single penny counts, savings were enough to expand. Now not sure what will happen with increase. Its not just the tax reduction it was also the ability to recover costs. 

I understand the sarcasm. But its amazing how many people believe that statement, I guess they must be secure in their jobs. Wait till they complain about prices going up and the reduction  in their buying power.

JustinG

« Reply #487 on: September 24, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »

I have never seen a population vote for a higher cost of living and to make themselves less competitive domestically and internationally. It took 20 years to revise an inefficient archaic tax code and it will be another 20 before another government has the political will to try it again. Never mind the $1.6 billion dollars that has to be paid back to the federal government. I understand why the retired and nearly retired voted this down but the younger generation's apathy really cost us this time. My business allowed us to direct funds towards the sports fishing industry. How much? Try $250,000 / year. As of next year. Gone. We have three competitors / colleagues who did the same and they will not continue their funding.

As a student, in the late 90's, I sat one on one in the legislative dining room for lunch with two NDP MLA's (still sitting and one who ran for the current leadership) and listened to their ideas. One idea was to bond students to work in BC until they worked off what their education was worth. That was a GREAT idea with one caveat - it was near impossible to get a decent job in the 90's. Both my brothers had to move to the US to get work.  One thing some people in this province just do not get is that we are integrated with the global markets and borders do not mean as much today. When the NDP gets elected next year and if they try and raise our taxes our business will be moving to Ontario. The vote will be 3 for and 1 against - I was born and raised here and would find it very hard to leave. So much for the NDP pro-family stance... my family will be split up yet again.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #488 on: September 24, 2012, 10:21:25 PM »

I have never seen a population vote for a higher cost of living and to make themselves less competitive domestically and internationally. It took 20 years to revise an inefficient archaic tax code and it will be another 20 before another government has the political will to try it again. Never mind the $1.6 billion dollars that has to be paid back to the federal government. I understand why the retired and nearly retired voted this down but the younger generation's apathy really cost us this time. My business allowed us to direct funds towards the sports fishing industry. How much? Try $250,000 / year. As of next year. Gone. We have three competitors / colleagues who did the same and they will not continue their funding.

As a student, in the late 90's, I sat one on one in the legislative dining room for lunch with two NDP MLA's (still sitting and one who ran for the current leadership) and listened to their ideas. One idea was to bond students to work in BC until they worked off what their education was worth. That was a GREAT idea with one caveat - it was near impossible to get a decent job in the 90's. Both my brothers had to move to the US to get work.  One thing some people in this province just do not get is that we are integrated with the global markets and borders do not mean as much today. When the NDP gets elected next year and if they try and raise our taxes our business will be moving to Ontario. The vote will be 3 for and 1 against - I was born and raised here and would find it very hard to leave. So much for the NDP pro-family stance... my family will be split up yet again./quote]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:25:47 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #489 on: September 24, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »

Fouled up my post above. Wanted to say:

But BC is "The Best Place On Earth" they say, of course I guess while they the Liberals are in power. :D

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #490 on: September 25, 2012, 09:33:40 AM »

--as with many significant changes... it often isn't...perfect...first time out of the box.
--this tax could have been modified over time rather than dumping it.
--for those who complained it was a disproportionate burden on poorer taxpayers... qualification for HST exemption could have been better handled.. for those who are marginalized to the point that they don not even file.. ie no fixed address street people...tax moneys could be used to increase services rather than the more cumbersome rebate of tax system.

--as to Big business getting huge windfall benefit....I can live with that for those who actually used the benefit as it was sold to us.. that is to purchase new equipment, hire new employees, treat current employees to a benefit from their new found tax relief.. for those internationally owned forest companies who just put the money in their own corporate pockets or used it to expand their holdings outside of the province.. tweak the rules of exemptions and reward proven performers. Do not allow the benefit to those who did not play ball.

--As I have said before.. I'm not against paying taxes... my greatest concern is how it is spent for our common good.. including healthy industry.

--the big flip flop costs us all money.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:35:57 AM by skaha »

JustinG

« Reply #491 on: September 25, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »

Fouled up my post above. Wanted to say:

But BC is "The Best Place On Earth" they say, of course I guess while they the Liberals are in power. :D

And that is why rationality left they HST debate  ::). It was politicized NDP vs. Liberal... everyone I spoke to who wanted to vote it down wanted to "stick it to the Liberals" and that was the crux of their argument against it. Could it be that it was easier than trying to understand the new tax code? Anyone that did their proper due diligence would have figured out that it would have allowed current and the up and coming generations to at least stay on a level playing field with the competition. I guess that is what our generation has to deal with... paying for the Boomers retirement and paying off the debt issued and to be issued to make sure the Boomers lifestyle is not compromised. Far be it for the richest generation the world has ever seen make a sacrifice for their kids and their grand children's future which will be much less prosperous because we have to payoff our parents and grand parents "credit cards".
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:36:40 PM by JustinG »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #492 on: September 25, 2012, 02:56:55 PM »

And that is why rationality left they HST debate  ::). It was politicized NDP vs. Liberal... everyone I spoke to who wanted to vote it down wanted to "stick it to the Liberals" and that was the crux of their argument against it. Could it be that it was easier than trying to understand the new tax code? Anyone that did their proper due diligence would have figured out that it would have allowed current and the up and coming generations to at least stay on a level playing field with the competition. I guess that is what our generation has to deal with... paying for the Boomers retirement and paying off the debt issued and to be issued to make sure the Boomers lifestyle is not compromised. Far be it for the richest generation the world has ever seen make a sacrifice for their kids and their grand children's future which will be much less prosperous because we have to payoff our parents and grand parents "credit cards".
I will be leaving them enought one day but I hope to catch a few more fish first. ::)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:59:00 PM by chris gadsden »

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #493 on: September 25, 2012, 05:44:02 PM »

And that is why rationality left they HST debate  ::). It was politicized NDP vs. Liberal... everyone I spoke to who wanted to vote it down wanted to "stick it to the Liberals" and that was the crux of their argument against it. Could it be that it was easier than trying to understand the new tax code? Anyone that did their proper due diligence would have figured out that it would have allowed current and the up and coming generations to at least stay on a level playing field with the competition. I guess that is what our generation has to deal with... paying for the Boomers retirement and paying off the debt issued and to be issued to make sure the Boomers lifestyle is not compromised. Far be it for the richest generation the world has ever seen make a sacrifice for their kids and their grand children's future which will be much less prosperous because we have to payoff our parents and grand parents "credit cards".

what a load of  garbage! I strongly disagree :)
the schools , medical system, social infrastructure etc.  all bought and partially paid for by the hard working people of the day's tax dollars,  Industry has paid next to nothing.

The ME ME generations x&Yself entitled and pathetically greedy generation has benefited from those systems as well, yet they don't want to reinvest in the next generations system? They want to blame the older generation for debt loads? Perhaps your right, perhaps it would have been better that you were just given basic litracy at school and the only job available to you is ditch digging. You then only have to hope that your health doesn't fail because you don't have hospitals or on ditch digging wages you or your family can't afford a doctor. Oh, your life expectancy has now dropped twenty years because of disease and overwork/ed ...until you drop, remember no pensions.

The debtload blame has been directed at us, yet you and your generation have benefited just as much, yet you think you are hard done by. I wont even bring up what has been siphoned out of the medical and pension systems, to pay for .... maternity leave, child care, preschool......?

perhaps we should be looking at encouraging industry, innovation, resource extraction, all with Canadian labour. No exporting of raw materials, manufacturing and good paying jobs with tax income to the coffers. Perhaps open Global economy has been more to blame, lost jobs = lost tax base= debt load.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:28:13 AM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #494 on: September 25, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »

And that is why rationality left they HST debate  ::). It was politicized NDP vs. Liberal... everyone I spoke to who wanted to vote it down wanted to "stick it to the Liberals" and that was the crux of their argument against it. Could it be that it was easier than trying to understand the new tax code? Anyone that did their proper due diligence would have figured out that it would have allowed current and the up and coming generations to at least stay on a level playing field with the competition. I guess that is what our generation has to deal with... paying for the Boomers retirement and paying off the debt issued and to be issued to make sure the Boomers lifestyle is not compromised. Far be it for the richest generation the world has ever seen make a sacrifice for their kids and their grand children's future which will be much less prosperous because we have to payoff our parents and grand parents "credit cards".

Actually there is a lot of truth in those statements, and I'm part of the Boomer generation....

As far as industry paying nothing, I guess it all depends how you look at it. First off it is industry (or companies in the industry) that employ people, who in turn pay taxes. Industry shouldn't be looked at as the "bad guy", because without it the people wouldn't have any income. Industry also provides individuals with the opportunity to grow wealth. By investing in industry, industry grows and the investors wealth grows. Wealth is a good thing as it helps seniors get through their retirement years. Wealth also pays taxes which provide the social programs for everyone.

Left wing politics teaches that wealth and industry are the bad guys......  Fortunately reason and logic says otherwise. You only need to look at countries like Greece and Spain to see where that sort of left wing thinking can end up.