Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rice Lake  (Read 4656 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Rice Lake
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »

I haven't been able to get out and fish the river at all this season and I'm going nuts. I just need to fish anything to get my fix. I can't get out to chilliwack, looks like it's in bad shape right now anyways, so I was thinking I could hit the lake for a couple hours this weekend.
Has anyone been out to Rice lake or any of the other stocked lakes recently? And have you had any success?

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: Rice Lake
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »

I was at Rice Lake last Saturday for a couple of hours.     No action.   An old timer figured the last stocking had all been caught.   Said there had been some regulars who took some daily after the stockings in Oct. Nov..

hank4hire

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »

Caught 2 in the 200ish gram range on monday which i released.  Spent about 3 hours out there and it was raining pretty hard so I was pretty much the only person fishing there.

slick vic

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:00:04 AM »

i heard the raining weather is producing very good herring fishing in Richmond down #1 road.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:41:32 AM »

thanks for the info
I think I'll still head out if the weather is ok, I just need to sit and stare at the water for awhile lol

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »

Is there any lakes in the lower mainland that have natural stocks of trout around? something else to choose instead of rice lake?
thanks guys

bcguy

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 06:20:34 AM »

You can always try Sassamat, it can be a reliable producer at times, and it has a nice catwalk across one end of the lake.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

slick vic

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »

or green timbers in surrey

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »

Im heading to Sasamat tomorrow first thing Vancook...Ill be on the second swimming platform.
Take the T out of Morton.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 03:55:27 PM »

Is there any lakes in the lower mainland that have natural stocks of trout around? something else to choose instead of rice lake?
thanks guys

Not really. Most lakes in the Lower Mainland are stocked with either trout at catchable size or at the yearling stage. Trout that are released at the yearling stage only become catchable size a couple of years later so they are somewhat "wild" if you consider the amount of time they live in the lakes. Most of the lakes that are stocked with these fish are further away from Vancouver and frozen right now, so the fishery isn't really happening until spring.

Mill Lake in Abbotsford would be another good option. There have been good Mill Lake reports on the forum in the past around January and February.

Or Deer Lake? http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=23070.0

Lafarge, Como Lakes in Coquitlam.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 05:52:45 PM »

thanks for the info rod. Yeah "wild" as in they can reproduce or grow in the lake etc.

I was considering sassamat lake too. If I don't have any luck I can always go crabbing afterwards as well off the dock in Belcarra lol :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 07:48:39 AM »

thanks for the info rod. Yeah "wild" as in they can reproduce or grow in the lake etc.

Actually I should be a bit clearer in the last post. Although stocked yearlings will grow to catchable size, they will not spawn in the lakes where they inhabit. Most of the trout stocked by the Freshwater Fisheries Society are triploid, therefore they are sterile.

Good luck to those who are heading out to the lakes today, it looks like the only dry day for awhile.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 05:14:52 PM »

ah i gotcha. thanks for the clarification.

Skunked today at Rice, very beautiful day out though.
Didn't see any action from the other anglers out there and no movement on the lake. If there is fish they're pretty inactive.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 06:18:07 PM »

i tried Green Timbers today, i didnt get anything but there were about 7-8 fish caught that i saw.  Alot of people were out fishing there ;D

ssd0904

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 05:51:08 PM »

Went to Mill Lake, today, no fisherman. But it was pretty fun.