Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder fishing  (Read 23180 times)

whereismyfloat

Re: vedder fishing
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 09:44:29 AM »

I was looking at the area with google earth. On the left side of hwy1 bridge (heading east) is the green river ... correct?.... which takes you to the mouth. Is there anywhere to park a car along the dyke or near that log sort buisness? Google earth says it about 3 kms or so?

scotkemp

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

hey guys this is an awesome site lots of great info. i live in vancouver but tomorrow im gonna head out to the vedder river and im gonna try fishing there at the canal where the highway 1 goes over it,  anyone think thats a good beginner spot to try float fishing.i also am having a hard time finding the actual regulations on what kind of fish i can keep and also whats the difference in a fish or a hatchery fish. some basic knowledge would be helpful thanks in advance

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »

well lets answer that question.

Yes, you can park by the lumber place (Cattermole lumber) and walk the train tracks to the mouth of the Vedder river. now ask yourself if you would risk possible towing because there really isnt a plave to park on the road there?? Would you bother walking about an hour to go somewhere where there is literally NOWHERE to fish from ?? I have done the walk, and when we got there we were hugely dissapointed because there was nowhere to fish at all. I did find this one tiny spot (suitable for 1 guy) that i could cast a lure however i almost fell into the river trying to get down to it because it was almost straight down loose gravel. Did we see any good water ? not really unless you were in a boat because the deeper channel runs the opposite side from where you can get to.

If you really want to have a look for yourself your more then welcome. I have warned you that you will probably find anything however it was a few years ago i went down there so.....ya never know.

and incase your wondering about walking through the lumber yard. if your caught on the property they will escprt you off so you have to sneak around the outer edges to gain access to the river. this WILL NOT get you to the mouth of the Vedder however there is some nice BBing water out there but again its not a short walk. We did this walk once as well. This is my experience(s) of finding the mouth of the Vedder and i hope it either prepares you for your trip or helped you save yourself the troubles.

have fun out there  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

whereismyfloat

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »

Hook,

Thanks for the comments. It's not lost on me that you're simply trying to save me from myself, but I have some other motivations.  ;)

I have a golden retriever and a chocolate lab. My plan was to take the dogs out for a good long hike. Perhaps even over a few visits and scout the area and water first. I probably wouldn't even pack a rod the first time. If in the end I come up empty then no worries ... the dogs will still be happy. 

It looks to me like I could hoof it down the rail road tracks from Industrial to the bridge, cross the bridge and perhaps find some casting room there at the bottom.

Check out this link: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=49.138793,-122.101954&spn=0.005159,0.013733&t=h&z=17 This is what peaked my interest initially ... The topo shows it is not all drop off cliffs there. Is that correct from your recollection?

Anyways, I'm not hung up on the idea I was just tossing it around.

Thanks,

doja

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2009, 02:31:40 PM »

If you are bringing your dogs be very weary of the bait fishermen's spots.

I've had my dog eat someones bait and hook 1 time and it was a very scary situation that luckily she survived. The line was still on the hook and that kept the hook riding the same and did not allow it to hook in the stomach or intestine.

You can look around the spot you wish to fish before fishing, looking for bait on hooks, as there are many of them who don't clean up there stuff.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »

if you look at the area where you dont have to go through all that forest, thats the area we went down to and its quite steep and loose gravel. If your more willing to try and bushwack through all that forest which i think is still steep right by the tracks then your more then welcome because it does look like there would be some good areas through there. dont expect a short hike though  ;) remember to bring a machete on your scouting trip because it may come in very handy especially now that everything is over grown.

if you look at from the tracks to the river through those bushes i would bet thats like 1km you might be able to go down by the river and walk the bank, I dont remember there being a way around though but like i said it may have changed slightly since then.

If you go look i would like to hear about what you find.

cheers
Check out our new blog

tumbleweed

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2009, 05:29:58 PM »

We went to the vedder today and tried several different locations. We only managed to catch pinks. I am new to short float fishing and I was trying not to snag fish but did end of snagging some. I played with the depth of my float I tried between 12-24 inches and I was still snagging fish. My setup was a float a three way swivel a piece of lead and a short leader with roe or wool.  I was adjusting the distance between my float and lead. Am I doing something wrong or is there just to many pinks in the river right now and this cannot be avoided. I don't like snagging fish it's like pulling in a log and you cannot control the fish. If you guys can tell me where I went wrong that would be great.  Thanks ???

marbles

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »

I was there as well the canal area I believe,is just to early for chum coho etc any help would be greatly apreciate

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2009, 05:56:14 PM »

Tumbleweed, a good number of pinks are laying along the slower part of the runs, along the edges. I saw today people foul hooking pink after pink especially while winding in. Many also are fishing way too deep and holding back with their floats on their sides. Your float should be drifting down the run sitting straight up. Rodney has posted the way to short float a few times.

If you look down on a run from a high bank you will see the pinks all in a dark mass, keep your offering away from this mass as much as possible and you will not be connecting with many pinks. By the way most pink salmon are now getting past good table fare.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:58:23 PM by chris gadsden »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2009, 06:00:12 PM »

the only thing i can think of you may have been doing wrong was targetting the wrong type of water. If your after springs your going to want the heads of runs where they tent to be deeper and faster where the coho will sit in the tailouts or edges of the runs that. the coho will mix right in with the pinks however  >:( but they do also try to avoid them (depends on the run your fishing)

If you fish runs like the Train Bridge run for example, i have found this usually. This run consists of great water for all species but they will sit in different parts of. this run has a long deep run with a shallower edge on 1 side. this run may look to be the same speed water everywhere but its really not. Here is how you can break it down.

the shallow edge will be the side your standing on (if you drive in of course) now this shallower water will be filled with pinks doing their spawning business, yes some coho & jack springs will be in there but not many. in the deeper part of the run which is the opposite bank (where the big rocks are) its considerably deeper and infact a little faster water, this is the water where the springs will be for sure and yes coho will hug right against the big rocks to avoid the springs as they travel up river. Now the tailout of this same run will hold coho, jack springs, even some of the smaller adult springs and unfortunately some pinks if they can hold in the current. these are not concrete rules to fishing but this gives you examples of water types to watch for and how to break down each run you are plannning to fish.

another great chunk of water for coho to hide in is behind big rocks in heavy chop water. these fish can be very tricky to fish for because of the very tiny drift you get and the fact the water alot of the time is quite deep. you will find this water in the upper parts of the mid river all the way to the top.

Im sure other people will chime in with their own observations and i may have forgot things LOL as i mainly just go fishing to shake hands with some fish  and dont specifically target exact types of water unless it for steelies  ;)

have fun out there
Check out our new blog

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2009, 06:01:19 PM »

The coho are in the river now...as has been seen by some of the members posting pics. Chum are now moving into the river too. Chris has given some good tips on how to fish  while short floating, and how to avoid the many pinks that are in the river now.

tumbleweed

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2009, 06:04:11 PM »

Tumbleweed, a good number of pinks are laying along the slower part of the runs, along the edges. I saw today people foul hooking pink after pink especially while winding in. Many also are fishing way too deep and holding back with their floats on their sides. Your float should be drifting down the run sitting straight up. Rodney has posted the way to short float a few times.

If you look down on a run from a high bank you will see the pinks all in a dark mass, keep your offering away from this mass as much as possible and you will not be connecting with many pinks. By the way most pink salmon are now getting past good table fare.
Thanks for the help Chris. We did not keep any of the fish we released them all. We tried to keep them in the water and release them. The guys beside us were dragging them on the rocks and the kicking them back in the water. I don't get it!

marbles

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »

yeah it was real prince of guy out there booting fish back in the water >:(so when you say coho and chum are in the river,from where to where?/or are they through out the vedder,vedder canal ect,Im wonderig when the stave and aloeutte will ready?

tumbleweed

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2009, 06:23:24 PM »

Marbles it appear that we may have been at the wrong location today.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »

We went to the vedder today and tried several different locations. We only managed to catch pinks. I am new to short float fishing and I was trying not to snag fish but did end of snagging some. I played with the depth of my float I tried between 12-24 inches and I was still snagging fish. My setup was a float a three way swivel a piece of lead and a short leader with roe or wool.  I was adjusting the distance between my float and lead. Am I doing something wrong or is there just to many pinks in the river right now and this cannot be avoided. I don't like snagging fish it's like pulling in a log and you cannot control the fish. If you guys can tell me where I went wrong that would be great.  Thanks ???

Hey Tumbleweed, I was out yesterday for the first time this season for a few hours. I landed a big hatch buck coho and about 1/2 doz pinks in the yap, all floatfishing roe. I did foul hook some but only a few, caught far more in the mouth.  I managed to avoid foul hooking fish by watching my float, being patient, and only setting the hook when I was somewhat confident that it was a fish's mouth on the bait. I wrote about this in a post on the "shortfloating" thread but you can get a good idea of what is happening underwater by the behaviour of your float. If you set the hook every time that your float moves you will snag lots of pinks. If you are patient and wait for your float to signal a strike, and not just a bump on your line, you will snag far less. Good luck.